Ranking
Original Post
Any Dog Experts? I need some help!
Hi, guys! I need some help.

So we got a new dog a few days ago. She's a 3 month old Shih-Poo given by my aunt.

I used to watch a lot of Dog Whisperer. The show with Cesar Millan. But applying the stuff I've seen on TV is harder than I thought it'd be.

The family and I made a rule that the dog only stays downstairs. The dog managed to climb the stairs a lot of times, so we had to barricade the bottom of the stairs so that we can can go through, but the dog can't.

Problem is, she's been clawing at the barricade and whining, trying to get up. She obviously does this to get to us because she doesn't do it when we're downstairs with her.

I really need some help on how to be her pack leader and how I can get her to see that she only gets to stay downstairs, as well as teach her not to go to certain areas of the house that she's not allowed to. If I'm unable to properly train her, I just hate the idea of having to let her go.

Help is greatly appreciated!
a spoon.
Just say to the dog "No" in a stern voice.

It's what we do when our dog tries to come inside.
there are certain sprays and whistles that you can buy which make a loud/irritating noise to the dog. it doesn't hurt them, and they soon get the message. our dogs, even when the gate's open, know that they're not allowed to go through.

a simple 'no' will also suffice. you need to be consistent in your actions, not aggressive, just enough sternness in your voice to convince your dog that she's doing a bad thing.

--

also, make sure you tell her off straight after, otherwise she won't know what she has done wrong.
Yeah, what MintCat said.
Certain sounds (such as "no", "shh") in a stern voice always work. Over time the dog will learn what to do/what not to do; just be consistent with your limits on her and she'll learn.
Modo Bestia
It's going to be hard to control a puppy if you just got it. You gotta train it to understand (this'll take a while) "Go Lay Down!" And "No, Bad Girl/Boy". It'll soonly listen to you and understand what it's doing is wrong.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
no is supremely effective; I even got my cat to understand it
[19:59] <Lazors> man it's a good thing people don't see what i write here
They respond to your facial expressions too. So if you look really angry and jump up and down they'll know they're in shit.