Ranking
Original Post
"Joint" Limit
Originally Posted by Oblivion
If you've been into replay-making for a while now you've probably heard about the infamous joint limit.
It was said that you could only move a certain number of joints and that past that number when you saved the replay it would be completly blank, but a lot of players never noticed that limit since usually in a replay that you wrap up quickly you don't get to that limit.

It's only as you aim for more complex replays that you realize of its existance, and while doing a singleplayer spar for instance you'll easily find yourself getting blank save files.

Recently this has become my biggest problem while making replays and so with a bit of testing and NutHug's help I've realized that it's actually a limit of FRAME lines in the file, and the limit is of 255 FRAME lines. I've attached a replay proving this, if you make one more move after frame 245 you won't be able to save the replay successfully.

In other words and summing it up: (you can skip to this part)
-You can only make movements on 255 different individual frames;
-Without this limit we would be able to create replays that are a lot more complex and amazing;
-So the suggestion is to remove this limit if it's possible, I don't know the reason why it exists or how it could be fixed though since I know nothing about programming and the likes of it (which I assume is what this is about), but I know that a lot of players would benefit from this.

I'm bringing this back up from the old Suggestions Board since it's pretty much one of the biggest needs to step-up replay-making and something that has been proven by War_hero to be easily fixable. (I'll PM Fish asking for the old post where War_hero clearly stated what needed to be changed in the game's code, and update this post with it when he answers)

Update - Here's the solution War_hero came up with:
Originally Posted by War_Hero View Post
This would be a super easy fix.

Just make
#define NUM_HISTORY 256
in beatdown.h higher, or remove the check against it in beatdown.cpp
for(i=0; i < ws->history_index && ws->history_index < NUM_HISTORY; i++){

Attached Files
framelimit example.rpl (687.6 KB, 93 views)
Last edited by Oblivion; Sep 9, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
We're still kids in buses longing to be free.
oh awesome
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
Indeed, your work came pretty handy War, even the objects limit has been raised now!
On topic: actually the joint limit hasn't been removed, it has just been raised, but to a considerable number that is reaaaaaaaaaaaally hard to get to.

Savyor, I've got a new replay that's pretty hefty thanks to this increased limit, but I can't find the time to finish it because of university and all that
I don't clearly understand this whole limit thing.
Explain a bit more?
OSHI - AM - TRG
RAKU
Orfeas: Open a replay with notepad.
You'll see that there are lines that start with the word FRAME.
One line of those is created for each frame you move a joint.
Before this change was applied, a replay could only have 255 FRAME lines, so you could only move joints on 255 different frames.