Ranking
Original Post
add an inbetween motion for contracting/extending joints
this suggestion is simple yet would greatly increase the potential when it comes to replaymaking and multiplayer

i feel that adding this wouldn’t change too much and adds an extra layer of movement to the character.

adding this feature in would also make movement in multiplayer matches a little more flexible without changing too much of how the mods are played.
What do you mean?

So alongside contracting and extending you want another one along side them?

I can almost see what you mean but I can imagine what else you can do with your joints apart from extending them & contracting them, lol XD
MaryJane Good Fuh Yuh Soul, Like Toothpaste Good Fur Yuh Teet

when you contract your elbow, the full motion contracts and forms an acute angle. what i’m talking about is stopping it in the middle at a perfect 90 degree angle.

same would apply to everything else.

obviously this would also apply to halving the range of motion of anything else. say your arm isn’t fully contracted and you do half of wait i just realized this is a really dumb idea……….
Originally Posted by skizz View Post
when you contract your elbow, the full motion contracts and forms an acute angle. what i’m talking about is stopping it in the middle at a perfect 90 degree angle.

same would apply to everything else.

obviously this would also apply to halving the range of motion of anything else. say your arm isn’t fully contracted and you do half of wait i just realized this is a really dumb idea……….

Nah not really xD

Its not dumb I understand exactly what you mean in a way,

But theres just not a feasable way, currently, of pulling it on off in a way that one, people will accept it. Two, that it will work in the way that the majortiy will like.

Just sounds like a ball ache imo

well, basically my reasoning for this thread is mostly multiplayer. like in lenshu where the turnframes are 30 and sometimes you have to sacrifice a turnframe just to get into a good position to kick.

erthtk doesn’t have this problem because it’s 1 frame per turnframe for 120 frames so you essentially have FULL control for 120 frames.

i feel this would also change up the abd meta a bit instead of a giant shovelfest.
i've put thousands of hours into toribash and learned it for exactly how it is if u change it i aint gon be able to play no more
-----
sacrificing turns to set up move sounds like an interesting dynamic, anyway? i don't see why you'd want to take away that part of the gameplay, it just makes the mods easier to play
Last edited by tabby; Oct 13, 2021 at 05:28 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
well, basically my reasoning for this thread is mostly multiplayer. like in lenshu where the turnframes are 30 and sometimes you have to sacrifice a turnframe just to get into a good position to kick.

erthtk doesn’t have this problem because it’s 1 frame per turnframe for 120 frames so you essentially have FULL control for 120 frames.

i feel this would also change up the abd meta a bit instead of a giant shovelfest.

I see what you mean but maybe then it should be mod specific kinda like how in Realtoriboxing they have a completley differnent body structure and movement speed and its acustom to the mod.

Idk I just can't see it being a need rather than a want.

actually, if you just make it so joints always return to the halfway point regardless of whether it’s extended or contracted it wouldn’t be that bad…

this is a way to combat the rng aspect of multiplayer matches.

obviously you guys don’t care about comp or anything of the sort so I don’t see why you’re weighing in with ur casual opinions.

why have a duel feature if every match is essentially a 50/50?

why host an annual tournament with mods that are barely competitive?

would adding an extra movement option REALLY hurt the game?? i don’t think so. i think it would make it better.

i’d imagine being able to do a proper punch would be a LOT easier if you can have this option.
Last edited by skizz; Oct 15, 2021 at 06:20 AM.
obviously you guys don’t care about comp or anything of the sort so I don’t see why you’re weighing in with ur casual opinions.

Can you ellaborate on this.

I respect your idea, and don't think its a bad one at all i think your right in a way SOME of the joints could be tweaked in that way. but its not essential imo.

So I figured I can give my opinion on this, from a general view as I did try most of the competetive modes, and fiddled around in replaymaking.

I see no reason to implement another motion, as when it comes to replaymaking, you could add motion by extending a joint, and after 1-5 frames turning it to relax, which will use the move already set in motion, but will act out with less force, unlike when you'd continue the extended motion. Same goes for extending/contracting and then holding the joint, if the dynamics allow the joint to remain held, it will remain in its original state.

I can't really be bothered to showcase what I mean, but most replaymakers, especially people involved in parkour, will agree with me that there already is a "motion between extending and contracting", and it's lowering frames to input a hold/relax within the move.

So that's why I don't see any reason for it to happen in that sense.

When it comes to a comp meta standpoint, holding and relaxing is already enough to really work your way around many things (ie relax your foot if you want your kick to spread out further, hold/relax your wrist so it doesnt dm because of the angle). While the idea may make some sense, I really believe the toribash meta hasn't yet fully used the potential of what we have, there are still new openers and strats being made, and although we continue to play the same mod rotation (abd/boxshu/lenshu/tk), there is a lot of space for new mechanics.

To just finish up my argument against the new "joint motion", I'll bring up a recent update to the meta. The new grabs that were introduced by sir are definitely a nice addition, but they haven't shifted the playerbase to play the respective newgrab versions of our standard comp mods. I've seen some replaymakers use the new grabs in their parkour maps, or even made new mods related to climbing (very neat stuff btw)... but the core element of toribash, so the comp scene, really prefers the old grabs.

So if we look at it from the most realistic viewpoint, this new feature would only be used by replaymakers, and they already can imitate any progression motion between extend/contract by simply using hold/relax.

I like the suggestion, but I personally don't see any reason for it to be implemented.