ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
The dream !
Yea well, since I did a great job at school, my dad told me that he would buy me a new pc.
So I'm gonna buy a "whatever" desktop pc, then do some upgrades to the cheap parts. I think the computer could run Skyrim at ultra, brink too (don't know about the other games). I'm saying it's just a "whatever" pc, because I don't think it would run huge games such as Crysis 2 and Prototype 2 in ultra settings.

So the cheap parts imo (well I think) are the GFX card and the random access memory. I don't know the GFX card's model number or anything and it's only 1 GB, so it's probably shit. And about the RAM, is 4 gb enough to run several games at once ? Or is it enough for video making ? don't worry about the other factors/parts, they are good.
JUST TELL ME.
<Marco> and then Oblivion tried to sexually assault me
<Oblivion> and Marco wasn't surprised at all
Originally Posted by Tengo View Post
Yea well, since I did a great job at school, my dad told me that he would buy me a new pc.
So I'm gonna buy a "whatever" desktop pc, then do some upgrades to the cheap parts. I think the computer could run Skyrim at ultra, brink too (don't know about the other games). I'm saying it's just a "whatever" pc, because I don't think it would run huge games such as Crysis 2 and Prototype 2 in ultra settings.

So the cheap parts imo (well I think) are the GFX card and the random access memory. I don't know the GFX card's model number or anything and it's only 1 GB, so it's probably shit. And about the RAM, is 4 gb enough to run several games at once ? Or is it enough for video making ? don't worry about the other factors/parts, they are good.
JUST TELL ME.

4gigs are fine, although It proved to be a bit low for after effects, I could quick render around 10secs of a video with the best quality, but over minutes with lower quality(for song syncing), in sony vegas it works different, so 2gig rams are fine there also.

Also if you want to play skyrim, then I'd suggest nvidia with it, ati has some troubles with the anti aliasing, nothing to worry about, but it is good if you know what you are doing. I personally had to tweak it a bit to run fast enough on the highest settings with anti aliasing.
I'd also like you to tell me the other parts, your monitor resolution and so on.
1gig Vram is fine if you aren't planning multiple monitor set-ups, and it is pretty much fine for 1920x1080 as far as I know.

By the way, not the price determines how the things perform, the better is not always the more expensive, so feel free to ask my opinion on any part there.
0x6869706F7469626F72
The whole PC is not over priced, I've just tried it, and it was fucking awesome.
And I meant "shit" by cheap.
Also about the resolution, I think it's 1920x1080.
Now you gotta tell me what is VRAM.
-----
The whole PC is not over priced, I've just tried it, and it was fucking awesome.
Last edited by Tengo; Jun 4, 2012 at 04:55 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump

Vram is The Video Memory located on the video card, it mostly stores the textures what the gpu uses. Today it is usually 512MB , 1GB ,and 2GB on high end cards. The newest cards even have 3gigs of them per gpu, or even 4GB.
0x6869706F7469626F72
Oh now I get it.
So let's say that this pc's GFX card wasn't enough and I bought a better one, can I get them to work together at once ?
My PC specs are:
4 gb RAM
1 gb VRAM
3.1 ghz processor ( dual-core )
and a free 32 bit version of Windows 7

Bought that PC for a bit under 450 bucks.
And also I got a 1920x1020 LED monitor (23 inch) for around 230-ish price.
All this robbed me of a total of 670$.

I guess you can get even a more improved machine for a thousand bucks, which is the better thing to do in my opinion.

PS NEVER buy ATI video cards. Nvidia's products perform much better.
Oh now I get it.
So let's say that this pc's GFX card wasn't enough and I bought a better one, can I get them to work together at once ?

It's not that simple, All the series are based on different gpu architecture, let's say the ati 5000 series are pretty much different to the ati 6000 series, you can't mix them at all. But there are also differences in the series themselves which means you can't pair up a 6970 with a 6870 for crossfire(thats the name of the usage of 2 cards at a time), because they are different. But you can pair up a 6950 with a 6970 for example, but the 6970 will go on lower clocks (according to the 6950), for optimising themselves, and to run on the same speed.
This also goes for the Nvidia side, I am not sure about the series there, and I'm not familiar with the cards.

On the memory side, as I said dont bother with it as long as you don't want 2 monitors at a time, or even more.

1GB is fine imo, but it doesn't work as the RAM modules. It is not like I buy 4+4 GB then I have 8GB. Just no, it works different here, The textures in the 1GB Vram can be utilized by the GPU, if you buy an another card, that has 1GB too, the another GPU utilizes its ram, which has to be loaded onto that card too. So basically you have the same stuff twice, and it doesn't make your Vram 2GB(physically it is 2gb, but they just mirror each other). Let's say you buy a 1GB card and a 2GB one, the 2GB one would utilize 2gigs of textures, and other stuff, but the 1GB one can only use 1gigs of storage, and since they have to work together, the 2GB one will get limited to 1GB, because the other card just can't handle more textures.

Back on the Crossfire part, here is a chart what you might find useful(which card goes with which):

The newest cards aren't included, but they are pretty expensive, so you wouldn't need them I guess.

Originally Posted by hipotibor View Post
My PC specs are:
4 gb RAM
1 gb VRAM
3.1 ghz processor ( dual-core )
and a free 32 bit version of Windows 7

Bought that PC for a bit under 450 bucks.
And also I got a 1920x1020 LED monitor (23 inch) for around 230-ish price.
All this robbed me of a total of 670$.

I guess you can get even a more improved machine for a thousand bucks, which is the better thing to do in my opinion.

PS NEVER buy ATI video cards. Nvidia's products perform much better.

Those specs aren't useful Which video card, which processor, and hell... why are you using 32 bit op. system on dual core?

And please tell me, why not to buy ATI products? Just tell me one reason, and I'll tell you two why not to buy Nvidia.

Basically ATI comes up with the faster cards before Nvidia does, so Nvidia can counter on them with a faster one, and then vice versa.This is what always happened, and will go on in the future. Both Companies have pros and contras.Both companies have their fans, and haters (see the post above this one)
I personally don't like Nvidia because they grab all the things what they can make money with (for example physx).
0x6869706F7469626F72
@Gamer

I remember when I had my first PC, it had some cheap Nvidia card with 250-ish vram, but it was enough to run CS source back in the days. Then I bought an ATI card that was supposed to have as twice as much vram as the Nvidia one. Unfortunetely, the quality of the game decreased a lot with the new video card and I had to decrease the graphics even more.I even tried tweaking the setting with the Catalyst Control Center but that didn't help.

Oh, and also Nvidia cards have some fancy thing for some games like Mirror's Edge that improve the overall quality a lot, I can't do that with my ATI one - it drops my fps from 60 to 10.
Originally Posted by hipotibor View Post
@Gamer

I remember when I had my first PC, it had some cheap Nvidia card with 250-ish vram, but it was enough to run CS source back in the days. Then I bought an ATI card that was supposed to have as twice as much vram as the Nvidia one. Unfortunetely, the quality of the game decreased a lot with the new video card and I had to decrease the graphics even more.I even tried tweaking the setting with the Catalyst Control Center but that didn't help.

Oh, and also Nvidia cards have some fancy thing for some games like Mirror's Edge that improve the overall quality a lot(not a lot, but allowes more particles flying, lying around), I can't do that with my ATI one - it drops my fps from 60 to 10.

Please, just read the post above.
I personally don't like Nvidia because they grab all the things what they can make money with (for example physx).

Physx was originally made by NovodeX, then Ageia made hardware for running them(not nvidia).Later on Nvidia bought them, and used their technology with their cards, and allowed some game developers to use it, which was an advantage over ATI, because ATI had their own stuff, and they weren't really intrested in buying up technologies for making money.

If you really want physx with ATI card, you can buy,or get an older nvidia card from a junkyard which supports physx, and there are methods to use the ATI card for main rendering, and use the Nvidia card for physx, and get optimal fps, like you would with a single ati card when physx is turned off.

AND again read the post above, the size of the Vram doesn't determine too many things they basically determine how big resolution you can use, there were made weaker cards with even 3gigs of ram to make the stupid people buy it, and as I see they succeeded.

A 1gb 6970 would completely beat up a 2gb 6850 for example, if you still don't understand.

Edit: Just installed ENB, some effects, and lots of high quality textures for skyrim, and it runs perfectly fine maxed out, on my ATI card.
Last edited by GamerDaPro; Jun 5, 2012 at 02:03 AM.
0x6869706F7469626F72