ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
What are your "little tricks"?
I mean we all have some of these right? Little things that you can do to spice up your movement or get more power or something. I figure it might be good to share some of the stuff we've discovered.

Here are a few that I use every once in a while. I'll put some example replays up, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

• Moving my pecs in the opposite direction of my chest rotation. This looks kinda neat (imo) and it allows you to get 2 small rotations instead of one big one. Ex: Opener of this replay
  • Contracting both pecs during a punch. I'm sure most of you have figured this out, but if you contract both pecs when you punch it goes way faster. Ex: First punch here
  • Relaxing the chest in my openers. This is situational, but sometimes its really effective I've found for continuing spins. Ex: I'm like 90% sure I used it in the opener here.
  • Extended abs (in general). I think this looks super cool and it took me forever to start incorporating it into my movement. I used to always keep them contracted, now they're almost always extended. See previous replay.
Last edited by Larfen; Mar 15, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
[12:00] <fudgiebalz> toribash SUCKS
Check my ~~~Dank Replays~~~
A few of the tricks that I've picked up over the years other than larfen's would be the following;

• Relaxing entire arm/leg right before the hit. Now the times that I use this are when I get the desired boom, but my entire arm or foot breaks off as well. Relaxing your entire arm/leg right before the impact allows the force on the joint to be cushioned to some extent while keeping a lot of the power.

• Moving your neck. Now this doesn't seem like a huge tip, but it truly is. No one seems to be moving their neck anymore because they feel it serves no purpose. That's where they are wrong, moving my neck has saved my foot more times than I can count, and it has turned 3 piece booms into 6 piece booms.

• Attempt my move in real life. Now this may seem silly, but thats because it is. I try and see which joints and muscles I use to do a certain kick punch. Usually I do an analysis in my head and wing it from there.

• Moving your wrists and elbows actually add quite a bit of power to your kicks as well if used properly. Don't ask how, they just do.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but I can add more if I can think of any
\o\ | ORMO | OSHI | OLDA | [duck] | Team Canada | Maple Syrup United | Team Philippines | [UssR] | Anime United | /o/
  • Contract everything and then extend/ let my joints spread out to get a lot of speed somehow.

• Spam ankle staes in every frame leading up to a kick to get the most speed&ghosting possible. Maximizes my damage ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) inb4 7dm kick
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• If I plan on moving lots of joints at one time to do something; ex. reversing momentum, I do it spaced out over a period of 10-15 frames.

• Contract abs all the time unless I need to for absolutely any reason. The only time I extend abs is to keep balance/flow in tricking or to dodge uke's exploding body.

• Sometimes I relax all my joints just to see how my body parts are moving. I don't do it that often, I pretty much know now how my tori is moving.

ok i think that's enough secrets for today.
can't let you nerds figure out how i make my replays :^)

p.s.s. this is generally how i get power in my hits.
Last edited by Dscigs; Mar 16, 2015 at 04:08 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
|Replay|ORMO|
Dscigs: In conjunction with your last one, I've recently learned that you can press ctrl+z after messing with some joints and it resets the joints to whatever state they were in going into that frame. Somehow I never knew this until like this week but I bet that would work well with the relaxall strategy.
Also I like how my tip is to always extend abs and yours is to always contract them.

Mrjingles: I'm happy I'm not the only one who's done my toribash moves IRL
[12:00] <fudgiebalz> toribash SUCKS
Check my ~~~Dank Replays~~~
These are all pretty basic and I assume everyone else has already figured them out but might be handy for newfags

When I'm booming I tend to relax all like 2-4 frames before the impact and just try to maximize the momentum without giving a fuck about anything else.

After I finish a hit I do a really crude version of the follow up just to see if the part I want to hit is in the range in the desired timeframe.

Toggling hold/contract on elbow and extend/contract for wrist to aim high speed punches.

Originally Posted by Larfen View Post
[*]Contracting both pecs during a punch. I'm sure most of you have figured this out, but if you contract both pecs when you punch it goes way faster.

Contracting the other elbow has similiar effect.
You can also do the same thing with hips/glutes/knees while kicking.
[duck] 01101000 01101001 01110000 01101111 01110100 01101001 01100010 01101111 01110010
I've recently learned that you can press ctrl+z after messing with some joints and it resets the joints to whatever state they were in going into that frame.

wait what. That actually makes a lot of sense.
[o]|ORMO|Replay thread!
Last edited by Chartle; Tomorrow at 13:37 AM..
Dscigs: In conjunction with your last one, I've recently learned that you can press ctrl+z after messing with some joints and it resets the joints to whatever state they were in going into that frame. Somehow I never knew this until like this week but I bet that would work well with the relaxall strategy.

That's a fairly new feature though, like 6 or so months old

When making small movement, such as trying to express emotion or when posing, I find it very important not to move separate joints. If you have to contract your abs to keep balance while posing for instance, relaxing your hips, glutes and, if possible, the lumbar, makes a big difference. But I am sure you all are aware of that.

When landing I like to extend my ankles just before I hit the ground and then hold them, especially in -30

Also relax-shspace-hold-shspace-relax-shspace-holding- can make a big diffrence sometimes when making petty details

Thanks for good thread :)
Originally Posted by MrJingles1 View Post
[*]Attempt my move in real life. Now this may seem silly, but thats because it is. I try and see which joints and muscles I use to do a certain kick punch. Usually I do an analysis in my head and wing it from there.

mrjingles irl
oh yeah
precisely
\o\ | ORMO | OSHI | OLDA | [duck] | Team Canada | Maple Syrup United | Team Philippines | [UssR] | Anime United | /o/