Ranking
Original Post
What about an 'Ideas' forum competition?
I've been thinking that it would be really good to have a event in which the Toribash community could help contribute to the forum/game by have one of their best ideas implemented. There are a lot of smart people in the community, so essentially, this event would be crowdsourcing their talents to hopefully produce good ideas that the staff could implement moving forward - even if there is only one idea that is guaranteed to be implemented, there might be a couple more ideas that are really good that could also be implemented.

The Admins/Smods would determine the criteria for judging the competition. Feasibility, positive impact, etc. perhaps. In addition to the winner getting his/her idea implemented, it could be worth rewarding them with additional prizes, so as to entice more participants.

I'd like suggestions on whether or not you think this idea is good or not and what we could do to improve it. I'd also like upper staff to chime in with the same thing.

IRC log about the implementation of the winning idea

Last edited by Ele; Jan 24, 2016 at 05:40 AM.
only problem is most players dont know what the staff/admins can actually change
-----
maybe we could get hampa/devs to help host and support the event, toribash definetly needs something new, i feel like it hasnt really changed in forever
Last edited by skorban; Jan 21, 2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
what?
The GM team already did this once. They held a competition with rewards for whoever could come up with a decent event idea and promised to sponsor their event afterwards.
From what I saw though they didn't get to many good entries. Though its been a while so I can't remember to well.

I don't really care for this idea at all. There is already a good system in place to get events up and running through the GM Team for free. As someone who plans to be known in this community for running events I don't support this. Even with GM Sponsorship I plan on investing some of my TC and my Clan's TC into the prizes for said events, and I will always lose money by doing this, but thats fine. An event isn't something the host is supposed to profit off of, its something you do because you want to give back to the community and have fun with them on a grander scale.

Events are not supposed to be something to profit the host and I'm not just saying this randomly. I grew up through my high school life on a Wrestling team. One of the duties of being on said Wresting team was helping host events in the form of Tournaments. I didn't gain anything from helping with them and they were stressful as hell to manage, but when the day came to an end people always thanked us for our help and rewarded us out of the kindness of their hearts with stuff like food (because we were fat fucks).

Hosting the event and seeing people enjoy it is the reward you get as an event host, not TC and Items.

Not Supported
Last edited by Kohta; Jan 22, 2016 at 10:04 PM.
AnimePlanetMyAnimeListDiscord: Kohta#1577 • NikosTunaPouffyAubreyGuessTenRythm
• No longer "active" on Toribash. Leave a PM if you need something, I'll eventually see it. •
• Crippled/Disabled girls are the best girls a guy could have. •
Originally Posted by K0HTA View Post
The GM team already did this once. They held a competition with rewards for whoever could come up with a decent event idea and promised to sponsor their event afterwards.
From what I saw though they didn't get to many good entries. Though its been a while so I can't remember to well.

I don't really care for this idea at all. There is already a good system in place to get events up and running through the GM Team for free. As someone who plans to be known in this community for running events I don't support this. Even with GM Sponsorship I plan on investing some of my TC and my Clan's TC into the prizes for said events, and I will always lose money by doing this, but thats fine. An event isn't something the host is supposed to profit off of, its something you do because you want to give back to the community and have fun with them on a grander scale.

Events are not supposed to be something to profit the host and I'm not just saying this randomly. I grew up through my high school life on a Wrestling team. One of the duties of being on said Wresting team was helping host events in the form of Tournaments. I didn't gain anything from helping with them and they were stressful as hell to manage, but when the day came to an end people always thanked us for our help and rewarded us out of the kindness of their hearts with stuff like food (because we were fat fucks).

Hosting the event and seeing people enjoy it is the reward you get as an event host, not TC and Items.

Not Supported

i dont think you understand what he is saying
what?
There is no guarantee you will get at least one thing that is decent and can be implemented on the spot. In events like this you can't promise there to be a definite winner in case if there is nothing to work with you won't force yourself to implement not needed things.
You might get lucky and it will work well or it will just be a flop, in my opinion it'd rather be the latter.
Last edited by Scorpio; Jan 23, 2016 at 06:05 PM.
Hmmmm Oh I see what you are saying. Sorry I read this last night and when you said ideas I thought you meant for events their self. I see now that you're talking about ideas to improve the actual game/forum itself.

Well either way I don't support this. The community already contributes good ideas and most of the time the ideas thrown forth are just trash ideas that people are throwing out for the sake of increasing their post count. In all honestly I only see this event mostly getting a bunch of useless ideas submitted in hopes of getting a prize. And if there was a really good suggestion in that batch of bad ones then it would be from someone that already is actively trying to put out good ideas for the community already.

I don't support this and don't see it doing any good. Improving the game is reward in itself, I mean its not like the people that come up with the idea of to do the actual work to get it working. Thats the staffs job, so there really isn't much room to warrant a reward, though if the staff feels like rewarding someone for their ideas out of the goodness of their hearts thats another thing.

Just remember that the staff work to improve the game for free everyday and sacrifice a lot more time than it takes up to simply think up a rough idea and they get no material reward at all for it either.

Still Not Supported.
AnimePlanetMyAnimeListDiscord: Kohta#1577 • NikosTunaPouffyAubreyGuessTenRythm
• No longer "active" on Toribash. Leave a PM if you need something, I'll eventually see it. •
• Crippled/Disabled girls are the best girls a guy could have. •
No idea is a trash idea..

Originally Posted by K0HTA
Just remember that the staff work to improve the game for free everyday and sacrifice a lot more time than it takes up to simply think up a rough idea and they get no material reward at all for it either.

Just because the're staff and part of what they do sometimes provides the community with plausible, or perhaps poorly-thought-out ideas, doesn't take away from the fact they are part of a community. Their thoughts count as much as everyone else's, it's just required in some staffing instances that they contribute more so than others. Don't let that take away from the idea of community influence.

It's not about who's meant to do "this job or that", and "only this and that", but rather creating an opportunity to see what ideas people can come up with. Whether they are well thought out or not, it's always a good thing to get the creative juices flowing. Provides incentive to those who would otherwise have kept quiet, and gives a longer lasting sustenance to the more outspoken community members.

Originally Posted by Scorpio
There is no guarantee you will get at least one thing that is decent and can be implemented on the spot. In events like this you can't promise there to be a definite winner in case if there is nothing to work with you won't force yourself to implement not needed things.

Community involvement should always be a positive thing. It shouldn't matter whether the ideas are able to be implemented quickly, or simply not at all, rather that the ideas come from 'otherwise unheard' of voices. Not everything needs to be for instant gratification, but rather a mass of ideas that can be brainstormed on and maybe something plausible comes of it afterwards.

Collaboration with staff as an 'after the event' discussion shouldn't be ruled out either, as many words often provide a much clearer voice.
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
You might get lucky and it will work well or it will just be a flop, in my opinion it'd rather be the latter.

If there is no idea/suggestion that the upper staff deem good enough to implement, then yeah, they absolutely shouldn't go about and implement one of the bad ideas. Of course, this is common sense.

K0HTA, I'm not sure I fully understand what your objections to this event are. Could you be clearer with me?

Also, this event would be run and judged by the upper staff - I'm sure they could make clear with their event prop what they can and can't change about Toribash. Perhaps, as I said earlier, feasibility could be a criterion.
Last edited by Ele; Jan 24, 2016 at 03:08 AM.
There's no guarantee of the winners idea being implemented anytime soon and it's more harm than good to deal with. We already are undergoing a big change with the clan rework with no date said and people still complained that it wasn't fast enough or that people weren't doing their jobs quickly enough.

As cool as it might sound, I'd rather not put anyone in the position of being nagged and scrutinized over this. From past experience the community tends to be impatient in anything they are directly involved in when it comes to ideas and suggestions. You say with updates that the community would be fine to wait, I'd say no but we're both speculating. Though in the long run prevention is better than cure and there is no guarantee the same people will be devs in 2 years or even consider working on whatever the winning idea is.

All in all, I don't think it's worth it. This very board is here for the same purpose. The only difference is the event hypes people so much that they'll grow impatient and it's not really fair to put any devs on a tight schedule with constant updates with their own ordeals going on.
Pushing powder down my musket so I may smite another opp.
I put a switch and a beam on my blunderbuss, your hood is not safe.
Then perhaps, if the absolute guarantee of implementation is definitely off the table, participants are incentivised by other rewards. There's still worth in holding a crowdsourcing event of this nature - it would generate a pool of ideas that wouldn't have been generated otherwise (without the event + incentives).

We don't know, there could be a few small and easy-to-implement great ideas that are received, so the possibility (rather than guarantee) of implementation would be on the table. I do see that offering a 'guarantee' of implementation could be a bit reckless.