View Poll Results: Should we be able to use the word 'nigga' in Wibbles
Yes, allow it
51 Votes / 57.95%
No, ban it
37 Votes / 42.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

Original Post
Should we be able to use the word 'nigga' in Wibbles?
<~suomynona> ele: you're totally right about racial slurs in that post, yes.
<~suomynona> ele: Not aware of those exceptions, and I don't feel like making them for wibbles in this case.
<~suomynona> make a poll in S&I if you feel strongly about it.

I've been instructed to post here instead of the Wibbles 'Rules' thread. You can read and catch up with what's going in there (or maybe you can't, suo's moving posts to different threads). I'll briefly explain.

Currently, we are not allowed to say something like 'wuts gud ma nigga' or 'hahaha yeah nigga!' in Wibbles.

The pesky global rules say that whenever somebody says the word 'nigga', they're being racist and their post needs to be deleted/infracted. Clearly this not always the case. People can use the word 'nigga' without it being a racist attack on someone. It's all about the intent of the person using it.

So I know I, and a lot of other people, would like to be able to use that word in it's non-racist context. We're not talking about being able to use it everywhere in Toribash (the higher-ups definitely wouldn't go for that), we're just talking about letting people use it in Wibbles.

So, if you're behind this idea, vote for it in the poll. If you're not, then pick the other option.
Last edited by Ele; Oct 3, 2016 at 10:08 AM.
While I do think there should be a standard to the quality of posts since this game has a wide age demographic, it shouldn't be so enforced by staff that they hunt for words. It really is up to staff to be reasonable in specific situations and if they are not then please don't be so hesitant to find a new staff member. I'm doubtful higher ups are being strict enough with getting rid of moderators because of how they handled kyure when he was so blatantly dealing with problems poorly.
Last edited by coolbill12; Oct 4, 2016 at 04:00 AM.
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
i mean in all fairness it's pretty fucking retarded that this community has been shredded down to not being able to say n&ga or f@ggot

why are these rules still being enforced if "nigga" is being allowed in usernames? in all actuality, who's being offended by thE N word? i can understand homophobia, but really? nigga?

Look at the ban list, and you'll see that there's a lot of "racial username" ban.
We just can't ban everyone in a sec, It can take some times.

Also, the proof that this word shouldn't be allowed, is that even if it's a discussion about we should say it or nah, you're scared about saying "nigga", and you use @.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Was zurük bleibt ist erinnerung
Originally Posted by Mercurit View Post
Also, the proof that this word shouldn't be allowed, is that even if it's a discussion about we should say it or nah, you're scared about saying "nigga", and you use @.

I don't know what the rules are like where you come from, but from where I come from, that doesn't constitute 'proof' of anything at all like you suggested. Please explain.
I never understood why people are so keen to use words that they know may offend some people. It's like the argument of why white people can't say 'nigga'. Knowing the history of the word, why do you want to say it so badly... Toribash is also filled with different cultures, in England people don't throw that around - referring to Pimp's post on English dialect - because it's taken more seriously than it appears to be in America.

Honestly though, this thread wasn't needed. If it wasn't allowed before it doesn't hurt to substitute nigga for another word. You can literally say anything you want except 2 words which are known to offend...pls.

I wouldn't care if this got approved but if it does I can see the spam of threads titled nigga from here. Keep wibbles fun for everyone like it is right now because people here from other cultures won't take it as light as you may. The result of this will literally just be a topic with a shit ton of threads and posts spammed with nigga. Let's be honest, that's what will happen.
Last edited by Kradel; Oct 4, 2016 at 12:46 PM.
blue
pink
the internet wasn't a place to take serious especially in toribash, would you guys ban the word fat too because it hurts people? That would just be dumb, you should be able to use nigga as long as you dont mainly target anyone in the way you use it and don't go crazy with it
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
i mean in all fairness it's pretty fucking retarded that this community has been shredded down to not being able to say n&ga or f@ggot

why are these rules still being enforced if "nigga" is being allowed in usernames? in all actuality, who's being offended by thE N word? i can understand homophobia, but really? nigga?

Never thought about that but it does make a good point if usernames with nigga in it should be banned why can you even take them? Every other profanity is banned except nigga.
“Aaah rum zum zum aaah rum zum zum booly booly booly booly booly rum zum zum”
The 'no slurs at all in public space' rule should just be changed to 'discrimination is not tolerated and will be punished according to moderator discretion', at the end of the day I agree w/ pimp (and a lot of others) here - I'm all for punishing people who say 'fuck all niggers' but I'm nearly always looking for an excuse to not punish people for saying harmless (lets be honest it's harmless) stuff like 'that shovel opener is so gay', 'what up nig' and so forth

I wasn't staff when this rule came into place so I'm not 100% on the justification and discussion that happened to cause it to be put into place

Part of it I guess:

code:
(Rai) oh yeah we had a big argument about the whole "racisum is contextual blah blah blah" like a year ago
(Rai) which it is
(Rai) but that opens up so much gray areas and opinionated judgement which makes keeping fully on toip of a subject like racism awkward
(Rai) we eventually agreed that ruling it completely out was an all around safer option
<Fear> but it doesnt work
<Fear> ppl can still be racist and homophobic without using those words for a start, plus people upset about the rules just find every grey area and edge case out there
<Fear> popular on wibbles: 'chigger' 'kigger' 'f0gats' etc.
<Fear> grey areas are still there they just moved
(Rai) you're right, but from a business stand point chigger and f0gats on a public forum is way less harmful than nigger and faggots
"you're right, but from a business stand point chigger and f0gats on a public forum is way less harmful than nigger and faggots"
I don't know if toribash can take the (it looks good from a business stand point) route it's clear toribash could certainly care less about being pc and not hurting users feelings/triggering them. Look at hall of shame is it really a good business move to show off the worst people and posts in the community, giving them the attention that they want, no but it's kinda funny so we keep it. Also the fact that you can only identify as male and female. Pretty sure toribash has never attempted to be user friendly until recently and new users who come to the community will quickly see the history as soon as they do any type of research, while it's understandable toribash would try and further it's self from these type of situations which i agree it should.
Why do it in the forum of small slurs like nigga and not in the form of maybe i don't not humiliating a degrading users reputation as a form of punishment?
“Aaah rum zum zum aaah rum zum zum booly booly booly booly booly rum zum zum”
im pretty sure you should be able to also use the word stupid black boy, stupid white boy as a substitute from nigga or cracker
if you were to use stupid cracker, stupid nigger or nigga i could see a person getting banned since you are attacking someone but idk
Wow went to hit yes and cause I'm using a phone the calibration was off. Noice XD
-----
Originally Posted by iTemp View Post
im pretty sure you should be able to also use the word stupid black boy, stupid white boy as a substitute from nigga or cracker
if you were to use stupid cracker, stupid nigger or nigga i could see a person getting banned since you are attacking someone but idk

Yea and why is it that other races can call us white boy's but if you even say some is black in no bad context they start screaming rascism and threaten reporting?
Last edited by Mikes; Oct 4, 2016 at 10:07 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
"People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public."—Bryan White