View Poll Results: Should we be able to use the word 'nigga' in Wibbles
Yes, allow it
51 Votes / 57.95%
No, ban it
37 Votes / 42.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

Original Post
Should we be able to use the word 'nigga' in Wibbles?
<~suomynona> ele: you're totally right about racial slurs in that post, yes.
<~suomynona> ele: Not aware of those exceptions, and I don't feel like making them for wibbles in this case.
<~suomynona> make a poll in S&I if you feel strongly about it.

I've been instructed to post here instead of the Wibbles 'Rules' thread. You can read and catch up with what's going in there (or maybe you can't, suo's moving posts to different threads). I'll briefly explain.

Currently, we are not allowed to say something like 'wuts gud ma nigga' or 'hahaha yeah nigga!' in Wibbles.

The pesky global rules say that whenever somebody says the word 'nigga', they're being racist and their post needs to be deleted/infracted. Clearly this not always the case. People can use the word 'nigga' without it being a racist attack on someone. It's all about the intent of the person using it.

So I know I, and a lot of other people, would like to be able to use that word in it's non-racist context. We're not talking about being able to use it everywhere in Toribash (the higher-ups definitely wouldn't go for that), we're just talking about letting people use it in Wibbles.

So, if you're behind this idea, vote for it in the poll. If you're not, then pick the other option.
Last edited by Ele; Oct 3, 2016 at 10:08 AM.
Originally Posted by Gynx View Post
Hey all.

I've decided that with the current ongoing divide on whether or not 'nigga' is acceptable that I'd include the game developers in this discussion. I think everybody knows which side of the fence I sit on (having been the guy that drafted the public/private slurs rule) and whilst some people agree with my views enough people don't to the point that this is an ongoing discussion.

I have linked this thread to them with a summary of the discussion ("should 'nigga' be allowed in wibbles talk?/what do you think about the public/private ruling?").

As it stands, I think this is the best option to get a finite, definite ruling on how the staff and community treat that word in particular. If anybody should have a say on how he wishes his game's community to behave, it's the creator. He may want the staff to decide, he may want total written freedom, he may want tight moderation - that's his call to make and one we will have to respect once it's made. Normally we keep community issues like this out of the development sphere but I think there's big implications for our game/community image and target audience - something that he should at least be aware of.

Cheers.

Hi guys - the verdict is in on this one.

There's no desire to change any part of the slurs policy as it currently stands from the developer's perspective. To put this bluntly, there will be no racial slurs in public space and this is not open for discussion. With wibbles being a public board on the face of the community homepage it's hard to make an argument for it being private and as such the current policy applies. That said, it was mentioned that because of the nature of the wibbles board it would be okay to do something fun like an interesting word-filter.

Sorry if this may upset some of you, I realise freedom of speech is something that's important to you all but at the same time we have to consider the game's image and the message allowing slurs sends to newer users and prospective partners.
collect snots from the nose