ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Mod categorization
So I think it's time to take mod categorization a bit more seriously.
This thread is going to be for discussing which mods would fit where and nothing else.
Minor fixes to an already listed mod will not be included if you can set it in the game rules yourself.
And I know there is Rubash's Markmod, but it's outdated, doesn't include all mods, includes undesireable mods, categorizes in i way i dislike, and above all- is a script and not actually in the game.

So what is this?
There is around 1600 mods in Toribash, and a major part of them are useless. We don't need mods no-one plays, and they just get in the way of exploration. So I think it's time we sort the mods which belong in the folder and get rid of those that don't. Any other mods will be on the site for anyone to download and /rec.
The categorizations will work in folders and sub-folders.
I've made up a list of the mods in each category which are worth to have.
Now, please fill me in on mods that deserves to be there but isn't.

Martial arts

Parkour/tricking/spar mods

Sports

Vehicles/animal mods

Random mods

And an "others" folder for the new, unclassified mods you download and /rec, so you can move them later yourself.
Last edited by Lazors; Jul 19, 2014 at 03:05 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Hackysack can actually teach you a thing or two about sparring and yes people actually use this.

Added, thanks for your input.
Last edited by Lazors; Nov 26, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
"they're like enormous pillows of disgusting girly meat" ~Orih 2016
My Replays
I believe we need an in-game categorization too. I was away from Tori for 0,5 year due to game not working and now there's such a lot of mods that I can't wrap my head around them at all.

Can we have sword-fighting category or is it covered by jousting?
[QUOTE=Lazors;6921202]Oh, so it's a spar mod. Thought it was actually supposed to be compedative.
Is the community actually using this mod or is it just that one replay?

well hackysack i would say is one of the best mods for practicing both your teamwork chemistry and your overall control of your tori.
hackysack is not a mod for beginners, it is more or less a playground for experienced sparring/freerunning players where they/we can refine our movements and learn how to work as a team, and of course having loads of fun in the process ^^.

i know you added this to the list already, but i just wanted to get my oppinon on this.
-----
and here's the replay too.
Attached Files
blueballs swex.rpl (1.15 MB, 18 views)
Last edited by Swexx; Nov 28, 2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
A true replay maker only knows blood,sweat,tears and glory...ALSO failure, ALOT of failure.
also i sing harshvocals n stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keIOUNr_PAM
Originally Posted by Zireael07 View Post
I believe we need an in-game categorization too. I was away from Tori for 0,5 year due to game not working and now there's such a lot of mods that I can't wrap my head around them at all.

Can we have sword-fighting category or is it covered by jousting?

This is intended for in-game usage. The point is to have a few "official" mods and filter out the ones that are useless.

There is a sword-fighting category, only thing is that we don't want random instagib farming mods. Here's the current list:
Originally Posted by OP
*Weapon mods
>blood_sport_samuria.tbm
>real_fencing_v4.tbm
>real_sword.tbm
>real_spear.tbm

As long as the mod works, is used regularly and isn't a farming mod, I see nothing wrong in adding it. (so hackysack is fine)
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
As long as the mod works, is used regularly and isn't a farming mod, I see nothing wrong in adding it. (so hackysack is fine)

Or if it's a literal farming mod lol.
"they're like enormous pillows of disgusting girly meat" ~Orih 2016
My Replays
Seems like yall got a little bit off topic, but anyhow. I would like there to be a way to find mods easier, but some mods fall into multiple categories and there is so many random mods.

-Supported if done right
@sparchar, i see what you did there http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=426197

Originally Posted by Shockey911 View Post
Seems like yall got a little bit off topic, but anyhow. I would like there to be a way to find mods easier, but some mods fall into multiple categories and there is so many random mods.

-Supported if done right

Now I made this thread mainly to discuss not whether we should have a mod categorisation or not, but if we did, which mods would be where.

Is there something wrong with the current list?
I tried to categorise everything in similarities and variations, so aikido mods with or without DM will be sorted together, for example.

My main thought behind the random section is to have compedative mods that people actually would like to play.
Last edited by Lazors; Nov 29, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
Im not exactly sure how you would sort all the mods. Judo is not instagib though. So in the "judo" section, judo should go there. Same with wushu. People say wushu isnt like wushu but wushu is the original. Sorting the mods the way you did could be argued. as you said you put judo in instagib because its "only used for farming".

(boxshu is a wushu mod in a box)
(lolnade3 is borderline farming)
Last edited by Shockey; Nov 29, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
Glad to get some actual discussion here.
Thing is, just because a mod is "the original" doesn't mean it's good, wushu.tbm isn't a mod anyone would actually use for wushu except for the occasional misunderstandings.
It doesn't matter where a mod originated from, the goal is to take the best mods in each genre and make them "official".
This goes for wushu.tbm and judo.tbm

Now I can absolutely add boxshu to the wushu category. I don't know wushu all that well so I thought it was a standalone mod.
I'm also unsure about lolnade. It's fun, popular, but farmable like hell.
Last edited by Lazors; Nov 29, 2013 at 07:47 AM.
You do have a point about wushu.tbm. Not much people use it, but are you grouping by mod, or by how much people like it. If you're grouping by how much people like them, then you might wanna fix up the list a little. I understand wushu3 is now considered the standard wushu mod, but there is some who like wushu so it wouldnt hurt to throw it in. (same with judo)

Mushu is also a little like wushu, except in the since of grabs, no head dq, and instagib. instagib is a big thing so i would understand why you wouldnt classify it as wushu, but it derived from wushu as it has many of the same characteristics.
-- You did say, "Wushu and variations"
Last edited by Shockey; Nov 29, 2013 at 07:54 AM.