Ranking
Original Post
do you think the dead deserve more respect than the living?
i have yet to form an opinion on the stated question. i'm referring to the stigma around say - making jokes about the deceased where people jump to stop you saying "hey man they've passed away, have some decency". Do you feel one's life and how they've lived it defines whether they should be looked up to? Or do you feel there's reasoning behind why an individual at rest should be subject to higher respect?

Countless times I've seen reverence being displayed for people who are straight up criminals but have passed away; something about the fact they no longer are seem to inspire a deep esteem towards the deceased individual. i fail to understand why.

if you're wondering - yes this stemmed from memes about the queen, positive and negative comments regarding her death and the actions taken during her lifetime.

But I would like to hear your opinion without the queen in mind.
. . .
list0 on Discord, reach out for inquiries.
Or send me a private message, I'm responsive.

[7:19 PM] Aliosa: Can't have loopholes if there are no loops.

[9:14 AM] Viddah: Just remember if you step on toes youre gonna have to suck on them to make the pain go away
[9:16 AM] [Faux_fan]ancient: put me in the screenshot
honestly it all matters on what they were, it should be neutral if they never did good nor bad
hitlers a terrible person
mlk was great
all depends
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Do you feel one's life and how they've lived it defines whether they should be looked up to? Or do you feel there's reasoning behind why an individual at rest should be subject to higher respect?

Yes. One's life defines whether they should be looked up to or not. If they had a good ending or a bad one — i mean how they passed away.

There is no reasoning behind why an individual at "rest" deserves higher respect. They are not dead!
Last edited by yuki; Sep 11, 2022 at 02:15 PM.
I'm a Verified Toricredits Seller & Marketeer!
Originally Posted by nasa View Post
honestly it all matters on what they were, it should be neutral if they never did good nor bad
mlk was great
all depends

Almost right.

It does depend on their actions, like you say. Truly horrible people ougn't get a bump in respect when they die. For everyone else though, there's a post-death honeymoon period where one ought to speak of the dead with a nicer tone.

Why? I think it's a common decency thing. These non-horrible people likely have friends and relatives that are saddened by their actions. So while they're still sad, we should be tactful with our comments.

The whole 'too soon' does wear off eventually. Once the post-death honeymoon period is over, just like any regular marriage you'll find that the love and respect eventually drains away and your true feelings about the person come to light, the fucking slut. And it's OK to vocalize those thoughts.
Originally Posted by nasa View Post
mlk was great
all depends

agreed.

Originally Posted by yuki View Post
Yes. One's life defines whether they should be looked up to or not. If they had a good ending or a bad one — i mean how they passed away.

There is no reasoning behind why an individual at "rest" deserves higher respect. They are not dead!

This is a positive approach to thinking about life, I like it.

Originally Posted by Leandoer View Post
The dead deserve the same amount of respect they had when they were alive.

I feel the exact same way.

Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Almost right.

It does depend on their actions, like you say. Truly horrible people ougn't get a bump in respect when they die. For everyone else though, there's a post-death honeymoon period where one ought to speak of the dead with a nicer tone.

Why? I think it's a common decency thing. These non-horrible people likely have friends and relatives that are saddened by their actions. So while they're still sad, we should be tactful with our comments.

The whole 'too soon' does wear off eventually. Once the post-death honeymoon period is over, just like any regular marriage you'll find that the love and respect eventually drains away and your true feelings about the person come to light, the fucking slut. And it's OK to vocalize those thoughts.

The post death honeymoon period makes a lot of sense, after this period elapses, people do go back to usual talk. Mmm, I'm indicating to cases where someone may be questionable, mildly even but questionable during their lifetime, however people get overly sensitive about calling them out :/
. . .
list0 on Discord, reach out for inquiries.
Or send me a private message, I'm responsive.

[7:19 PM] Aliosa: Can't have loopholes if there are no loops.

[9:14 AM] Viddah: Just remember if you step on toes youre gonna have to suck on them to make the pain go away
[9:16 AM] [Faux_fan]ancient: put me in the screenshot
We respect the dead as a prerequisite and foundation to respect the living.

It’s valuing something in hind sight. Something that was lost.

Completely fucking different. Should stop comparing
Chickster: I literally don't know why I did it.
respect shouldn't elevate or go down at the point of death, if a good person dies then ofc they'd be acknowledged as a good person that is dead and vice versa
[🥒] x2 🥒x17

https://svntrw.carrd.co

Yet Another Goomba Post/Thread