Toribash
Originally Posted by NotShadow View Post
The fact that my CPU is pushing 80% load just by watching a livestream is evidence enough. Also the fact that I'm barely getting 40 FPS on GTA V with a 970. I don't know much about computers, but I don't think that's how that should be working.

It's a CPU from 2012, of course it will bottleneck. I don't know what is going through Gorman's mind precisely, but a simple google search will reveal that it significantly bottlenecks a 970, by a shitload.

That's common sense, and if you can't see that, I am unsure what else I can say to persuade you.

Anyways, that's that. Have fun with your new PC shadow c:
Last edited by Kyure; Jan 9, 2016 at 10:59 AM.
The fact that my CPU is pushing 80% load just by watching a livestream is evidence enough. Also the fact that I'm barely getting 40 FPS on GTA V with a 970. I don't know much about computers, but I don't think that's how that should be working.

That's why you should test it properly, you are still making assumptions.

Firstly is your livesteam working fine? If so, then 80% load is fine. Why would you upgrade something that is working perfectly fine?

Next think about GTA V, you are getting 40FPS, why is that? Did you check your CPU load? Check your RAM usage? Did you check your HDD and network? Did you check your GPU usage?

You are making gross assumptions, there is no guarantee that upgrading your CPU will help that problem in the slightest. I suggest actually testing the problem to find out if your assumptions are correct, because as you admit "I don't know much about computers".

Why are you willingly ignorant when it takes mere minutes to test?
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
That's why you should test it properly, you are still making assumptions.

Firstly is your livesteam working fine? If so, then 80% load is fine. Why would you upgrade something that is working perfectly fine?

Next think about GTA V, you are getting 40FPS, why is that? Did you check your CPU load? Check your RAM usage? Did you check your HDD and network? Did you check your GPU usage?

You are making gross assumptions, there is no guarantee that upgrading your CPU will help that problem in the slightest. I suggest actually testing the problem to find out if your assumptions are correct, because as you admit "I don't know much about computers".

Why are you willingly ignorant when it takes mere minutes to test?

I can't seem to get the CPU % and GPU % on my screen while I play, but tabbing in and out saw that my GPU was at ~40% load while playing GTA V, and my CPU usage is maxed out on all cores. I don't understand much else of the data on HWInfo
I can't seem to get the CPU % and GPU % on my screen while I play, but tabbing in and out saw that my GPU was at ~40% load while playing GTA V, and my CPU usage is maxed out on all cores. I don't understand much else of the data on HWInfo

It is for sure bottlenecking. All benchmarks show how weak your CPU is compared to other modern CPUs, and how it brings down FPS vs others. You can see it in this benchmark report here (the least powerful CPU, the FX 4300, is actually stronger than yours).

http://www.hardwarepal.com/best-cpu-...-games-tested/

No argument to be had here! Problem solved c:

Yup, that's a bottleneck then. I would check HDD and RAM loads to be sure, but it definitely looks like CPU at this point.
Last edited by Kyure; Jan 9, 2016 at 11:37 AM.
One last thing, should I be buying my own thermal paste for my CPU cooler or using the paste that comes with it? Is there a difference?
One last thing, should I be buying my own thermal paste for my CPU cooler or using the paste that comes with it? Is there a difference?

If it is preapplied, use it for sure.

On the average case a handful of degrees, don't bother unless you actually think it's a problem.
Alright, I placed the order. The next paycheck I get I'll get a 120 GB SSD and put my OS and a few games on it, then I'm done! Thanks for the help everyone, I'm going to keep the thread open until I get all the parts in the mail and put it together, just in case something comes up then. Everyone here has been a ton of help.
You're welcome, tell us how it goes once you've got everything up and running