ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Some Trouble
Hey guys, this has been bothering a lot lately
Some games including toribash run well but after a bit of play framerate suddenly drops from 60 to 20 something. In toribash all it does is slow down but in mass effect 2 or gta IV I get texture glitches.
I monitored temperatures but nothing changes. I also cleaned up the fans at my local shop told them to take a look. They thought it was CPU overheating but it wasn't that since they only took a feel for it and they felt it was hot. It's supposed to be a bit hot since it's a quad.
Updating drivers didn't change anything
Os is Windows 7
Issue persisted even with OS change

I have an Asus Nvidia 8800 GTS

512 ram on 386 or something bits
Usaully when somthing like this happens it is due to over heating, now I noticed you said you check to see if the cpu was over heating, but did you ever check the ram?
Proud Ex-Leader of VorteX
I am now talking to him...it seems like it was an overheating afterall...the CPU got to 82 degrees and the GPU got to 110.

Extremely high temperatures.
Proud member of [Pandora]
I dont believe this is a real problem, sometimes applications run quick processes to check the net for updates for that app. It might set itself to "Real Time" which basically hogs the entire CPU for itself. This may cause some of your games to mess up too. Also, I assumed that the problem starts and stops in a matter of seconds, however if I was incorrect then I am not really sure what to tell you. I sometimes get a problem like that with the explorer.exe processes where it takes up 50% of my CPU and my start menu runs extremely slowly and I need to reboot. Next time it happens, try running task manager and see if theres a processes taking up a large amount of your CPU. I hope I could help.

-Graboy
Still, CPUs and gpus shouldn't go that high on full load. Around 110-120 is when gpus will get damaged. So try letting the pc cool itself over the day, off. Then restart and run a program which was messing up. The temps won't skyrocket right away, so if it is still bad, might be permanent damage.

Btw you should change gpu fan speeds from default ones, which really are too low. I've used msi afterburner for this, but most of the companies have their own with similar functionality.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
On a fresh start the cpu is on 50 and the gpu on 70
Talked with the guys at the shop, I'll replace the thermal paste tomorrow.

On the fan speeds I know one is running on 6k RPM and the other on 2.5k RPM
But I don't know which is which. I don't have any of the driver CDs as windows 7 doesn't need any. And if it needs I get them off the net.
Did you run HWMonitor exactly when Win started?

It shouldn't be more than 30 degrees then... It doesn't have enough time to heat more...
Proud member of [Pandora]
Wow 50 and 70 is mine on Load

granted, I have an aftermarket cooler. But the heatsink on my gpu is stock. Even overclocked on furmark it only went to 71. Jesus.

Ok....what are the temperatures in your room? Even with bad thermal paste, it shouldn't go that high so fast.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
I runned HW monitor on a minute after start. The temperature in my room is normal. Wearing a tshirt but it's a bit chilly.

As far as the thermal paste, it might have dried up and is now acting as a isolator rather than a conductor. I'll be heading to the shop now and see if there's any improvement with fresh paste