Ranking
Can i ask, how exactly does a language cost? surely you can just code and compile, and thats all there is?
Originally Posted by Bilza View Post
Can i ask, how exactly does a language cost? surely you can just code and compile, and thats all there is?

You pay to use libraries, in BASIC's case: much needed libraries.

If you want a simple start to game development, just try XNA (uses C#), you can even dev xbox games (if you have an xbox lan'd up to your pc, get a free near-premium membership here http://www.dreambuildplay.com/main/default.aspx ).

C# is much more standard in it's syntax (c, c++, java, etc syntax), and is pretty widely used nowadays. XNA also comes with a 2d platformer starter kit, so you can build upon that or make your own using theirs as a reference (plus there's a shit-tonne of tutorials)
:D
The registration for the free 12 month xna trial membership has gone now, to let you know,
Also, doesnt xna require visual c#, and from experience, any microsoft visual products suck
Originally Posted by Bilza View Post

It's a propriety language rather than a 'standard' one. You code in the language they've made, use their compiler & out pops your app in native code.

You end up paying a fair bit for most of them because they've done the hard work for you.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you