ES Recruitment Drive
Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
Beating them senseless isn't the same as disciplining them for doing something wrong -_-.

Oh really? No way, such a distinction was beyond my understanding prior. You've really opened my eyes with this astounding lack of absolute awareness and understanding of viable and transferable comparisons that aren't at opposite ends of the hypothetical spectrum.

Beating them senseless isn't where the line of abuse is. Its like that stupid thing people used with "if ur hand is open its ok" and/or "if theres no mark its not abuse cuz they didnt bruise"

Imagine thinking that. Imagine justifying that kind of behaviour. If you equate abuse to beating a person so hard and for the length of time needed to actively impair their cognitive functions. Then you are suggesting that any amount of beating up until that point comes under discipline.

Now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that is probably not what you meant, but it's what you've implied pretty heavily. So feel free to re-explain where you think that "abuse" line starts and what examples of *physical* discipline are a-okay.

Cause I'm real curious.
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
In online spaces, sure. In specific cities, sure. But the majority of people are still not exactly the most active in these spaces. There is much of rural America where being queer is not okay at all. Also, lots of people are queerphobic while not necessarily spitting at/beating up/shouting slurs at queer people they see. I still cannot casually say something that suggests I'm queer in most online spaces without getting rude replies.

Gonna have to agree to disagree about the majority of people being queerphobic. Ain't reasonable to call gay people faggots.
The problem is that you don't know what a "good" joke about trans people is... because you don't understand trans people.

Mate, comedy is subjective. What you think a 'good' joke is is different to what I think a 'good' joke is. We all have our own senses of humor.
Jokes painting trans people as weird or ugly are in bad taste and truly aren't funny to progressive people who have subconsciously normalized transgenderism.

Yes. Some jokes aren't for some people. Doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed not to joke about them. If they're in bad taste and unfunny, then they're in bad taste and unfunny - Don't laugh at them.
You don't see white comics making jokes punching down at black people anymore because we've deemed that humor inappropriate and in bad taste.

I've seen plenty of white comics engaging in racial comedy. Seen plenty of it that's funny too.
I don't want us to be "protected" from jokes... but if the only jokes made about us by cis people are about shitty, negative, inaccurate stereotypes associated with trans people, then we've got a problem.

It seems like you do want to be protected from them. You don't want people to be allowed to make those jokes. 'Shitty, negative, innaccurate'... Shitty is subjective, but other than that, you want all jokes to be 'positive' and 'accurate'? That'd result in some really fucking boring comedy mate. Comedy is supposed to challenge your sensibilities.

"How do you get a faggot to fuck a woman? You fill her cunt with shit". That is a joke that's in bad taste and uses some very offensive language. It's also hilarious (in my opinion and in the opinion of everyone else who laughed at it during Gilbert Gottfried's comedy special). Precisely because it's so wrong and offensive, it's funny. You can think it's a shit joke and that it deepens prejudices and whatnot, that's your right. You can't tell people what jokes they can and can't make though.. You can piss off with that joke-nazi thinking.
I'm not going to continue a discussion on this specific topic here, but people were complicit. Poles especially so. I've done a great deal of research on the topic and have heard a number of stories from family.

Don't wanna talk about it? But you're still right because you're supremely educated on the topic? OK bud. Whatever.
Last edited by Ele; Feb 11, 2020 at 01:00 PM.
Originally Posted by Icky View Post
Oh really? No way, such a distinction was beyond my understanding prior. You've really opened my eyes with this astounding lack of absolute awareness and understanding of viable and transferable comparisons that aren't at opposite ends of the hypothetical spectrum.

Beating them senseless isn't where the line of abuse is. Its like that stupid thing people used with "if ur hand is open its ok" and/or "if theres no mark its not abuse cuz they didnt bruise"

Imagine thinking that. Imagine justifying that kind of behaviour. If you equate abuse to beating a person so hard and for the length of time needed to actively impair their cognitive functions. Then you are suggesting that any amount of beating up until that point comes under discipline.

Now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that is probably not what you meant, but it's what you've implied pretty heavily. So feel free to re-explain where you think that "abuse" line starts and what examples of *physical* discipline are a-okay.

Cause I'm real curious.

Why the long post. If a kid steals or gets in a fight, pop them on the hand with a paddle. Don't beat them with a belt though...
<a href=https://imgur.com/gallery/AnXm6 target=_blank>https://imgur.com/gallery/AnXm6</a>
Dargon Moderated Message:
Infracted for having the best goddamn replays in Toribash history.

Why the cop out? You said you got hit with a belt, but apparently it made you better. But your new post says "oh dont do that"

??

Bruh a paddle? A paddle?!

A thing that is designed to hit hard or press down across a large surface area, evenly?

On the hand? Of a CHILD?
A place with extremely little protection? On a being that HAS to trust you for their safety and care?

You believe thats the right course? That's your teaching system?

That's barbaric.
I mean plenty of us have gone through it and we're not dead.
<a href=https://imgur.com/gallery/AnXm6 target=_blank>https://imgur.com/gallery/AnXm6</a>

Congrats. A lot of victims are though.

Some of possible reasons why are;

You dodged a bullet, you lucked out.

Or your memories of the discipline and your rantionalisation of them make you see they werent that bad but the imprint they made was severe.

Your parents weren't abusive.

~~~

Justt cause the survivors survived, doesn't mean its a viable way to go about things.
Good point. I only support corporal punishment at the minimal level.
-----
It is natural as humans grow up too. Getting a scrape or broken bone, touching a stove, getting bit by an animal, etc.
Last edited by Starfield; Feb 11, 2020 at 02:18 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump

Disciplining your child, in an ideal world should not be inflicting pain, but taking privileges away or giving them work to do.

I would much rather cut down trees for 3 hours than be hit with a belt/paddle again. My dad whipping me made me seethe with anger, resentment and cry. These are emotions you shouldn’t feel towards your parents, and it’s why I don’t have a relationship with him today.

When you give the child work to do as punishment, ideally, it teaches them how to do that work later on in life. Such as replacing a toilet, window, sink that they broke. Of course, you would know how to do it so you can guide the child to fix it.

If your child truly respects who you are as their parent, your words/actions should be enough of a deterrent from bad behavior. I, however, am not against spanking your child. If that’s how you get your point across, good for you.
Why can't I call you bud? Just means buddy. I called you mate - You didn't oppose mate.

So look bud, I'm not gonna waste time arguing with you about comedy. I can't think of anything more unproductive to do.

Glad to know I'm 'erasing some of humanity's atrocities', 'subconsciously racist' and that South Park is bad. You've really educated me.
Originally Posted by Maya
I just dislike bud more than mate. Why do you feel the need to question my comfort with these words?

Questioning your discomfort with bud cus I'm sure there's some bullshit 'whiny baby' reason behind it.
Originally Posted by Maya
I'm going to once again ask you not to use that word. It has masculine coding and I do not feel comfortable being referenced with it. I don't know how many times I have to ask you not to use masculine coded words to reference me. You're doing it intentionally and it is obviously malicious.

Aaaaand there it is.

Only in your twisted, 'whiny baby', ' pathologizing everyday experience', 'impotent victimhood' world is calling someone bud/buddy offensive. Honestly bud, get the fuck over yourself. I'm 'misgendering' you (and transphobic) because I'm calling you bud? That's laughable. You're ridiculous. You're like a caricature of yourself at this point.

So no, I'm not going to take you seriously. Why? Because you're acting like a joke.

I wonder if there's any staff that'll infract me for calling someone bud
--------------------
This is exactly the point of this thread. If they're looking for it, people will find problems wherever they look, in the absence of actual problems. The definition of what's 'problematic' gets broadened to the point of ridiculousness. The pussification (or 'comfortabilization') of society has lead to some people now getting offended (and crying 'transphobia') at being called 'bud'.

Thank-you for proving my point, Maya. Knew I could count on you.
Last edited by Ele; Feb 12, 2020 at 07:10 PM.