Toribash
Original Post
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
Toribash crashes randomly on my computer, and does not produce an error message. It just completely disappears for no apparent reason, and runs anywhere from 30 seconds to about 2 minutes before crashing. I'm running XP SP2 on a 1 GHz processor, 384 MB RAM, and a 32 MB ATI Rage 128 video card.

Contents of stderr.txt
Contents of stdout.txt
SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLEBUFFERS: requested 1, got 0
SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLESAMPLES: requested 4, got 0
Re: Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
Hi Septimus,

Is this a problem with the new release. Or is it like that in previous releases too?

Cheers,
Hampa
It's happened with 1.95, 1.94, and 1.93, and I've not checked any previous releases.
I just tried version 1.96, and it also crashes with the same error.

What's the status on this bug being fixed?
As far as I know you're currently the only person with the bug :o
Do you know anybody else who has the same bug?
don't unban, he has hard coded userid bypasses everywhere.
No, I haven't heard of anyone with this same bug.

My two cents is that my computer's components don't support one or some of the fancy special effects that Toribash uses. Therefore the reason why we haven't heard of anyone with this bug is that most everyone else has a computer equipped with components, whether it be a up to date graphics card or a powerful enough processor, that are new enough to support these special features.

The reason I say this is because of the stdout.txt contents I posted earlier.

Doing a bit of googling on the "SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLEBUFFERS" string, I find some references to FSAA, or full-scene anti-aliasing. It just so happens that older graphics cards, which I have, don't support FSAA. Could this be the root of the problem? I'd be willing to help test out a version of Toribash with an option to turn off FSAA to see if it corrects the problem.

It's understandable not to want to work on a bug if it looks like only one person has it, but if my guess at FSAA being the root of the problem is correct, then everyone with an outdated graphics card won't be able to play your great game.
Hi Septimus,

I sent you a private message with a link to a debug version. It would be great if you could try that out and see where it crashes.

Theese lines are most likely harmless. It just means the hardware doesn't support full screen antialiasing. In that case Toribash disables it and continues.
I also get this output on my laptop where I play toribash with.

Another crash we had was when the sound card wasn't supported. Does toribash crash if you start with toribash.exe -nosound?

Cheers,
Hampa
Toribash 1.96 crashes with -nosound and throws the same error.
I get the same crash with no error message once in awhile also, contents of my stderr:

safe_send: timeout error 0

my computer specs - windows xp SP2, pentium 3.2, 1024mb ram, sound blaster audigy 2, and geforce ti4400 (yes i know this is old, and could possibly be the problem, my newer video card fried and i lack the funds for a new one at the moment)