Ranking
Original Post
Ethernet
I have a Mac and a very old laptop which requires an Ethernet cable to work. Since the router is quite far away from my room I only use my Mac. Is it possible for me to connect my Mac to my router wirelessly and then have an Ethernet cable from my Mac to my laptop? Would my laptop get internet?
I know you can connect them via Ethernet for file-sharing, but I don't think you can use your mac as a wired access point..
I'd suggest getting one of these: http://www.amazon.com/ACTIONTEC-Powe.../dp/B00CB2F65O
they work perfectly.. I have one and it's stable and I can use it even in the basement with the modem in the top floor.
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
^maybe a cheaper thing than that is using your mobile phone.

if you got a smartphone with Wlan you can connect that to the laptop and use Usb Tethering, that way you will use on your laptop the internet connection from your phone, also the Wlan if youre connected to it.
Parrot | Tabby | Nike | [Midnight] | Foxy | Deridor | Joel

Helping admins since 2013 (Can't ya'll leave this alone?)
Reta's Bitch, Property of Kriegery, Bribed by Bird, Tinerr 4 President.
Awaken, awaken, awaken, awaken. Take the land, that must be taken. Awaken, awaken, awaken, awaken. Devour worlds, smite forsaken
Thanks. I used to this with my mobile data until my mum put a gprs ban on it. I thought it only worked for mobile data. Thanks.
I thought it would work but it hasn't.

Screen

Ok so I found out that if I tether my phone, it only uses my mobile data which currently has a gprs bar. And if I used my wifi on my phone and then tether my phone to any device it would disconnect from my router.

I guess any type of tethering isn't an option for me. Anything else? TPK's suggestion is a bit too expensive
Last edited by zhuyuan; Aug 14, 2015 at 11:56 AM.
If the old computer has a USB port you can use a wifi adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Net-Dy...Z9PFD8HBWV5AKE

Just google to make sure it's compatible with your mac / OSX (this one should be).

There's also wifi cards that you can get, they are usually very cheap too.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I have a wireless adapter for the toshiba laptop (not a Mac). But it just crashes and there's a blue screen
Alright. How can I fix my driver then? I mean it's a very old laptop (before 2000)
There are very few wifi adapters that support OSX