Toribash
Original Post
[Tut]How to texture the head directly!
Well, yeah, exactly what it sounds like.

You must have photoshop cs5 to do this.

Make a new transparent 512x512 canvas.

Go to 3D->New shape from layer->Sphere

you should get a clear sphere(512x512, same as tori's head).

You can draw on it like I did, and it maps it for you on the 512x512 canvas. You can rotate the sphere with the first of the two highlighted tools, and you can rotate the camera with the other one. This should make mapping much easier, and if you need to see how something you have already sketched out on the canvas would map on tori's head, you can simply highlight the layer, go to 3D->New shape from layer->Sphere and bam.

To see your design on a 512x512 canvas, simply double click on the 2nd highlighted part, in this case, "Layer 1".

It should look like this:

And voila, mapping and proportioning stuff is made simpler and easier.

Credits to avwave for telling me this thing existed, and Jebus for showing me how to access it.
Hoss.
This would be awesome to map the top of the head. Pretty much the same concept I presume right?
PigeonHive Flap Buzz
i think he means that:

that the mapping of the toribash head is the same as the mapping of the circle thingy on adobe cs5...which would make it easier to map the top of the head
Blargharghag
Pretty much. I just said this technique would be cool to use for compensating for the distortion on the top of the sphere. I thought that was clear.
PigeonHive Flap Buzz
Nice tutorial Hyde. I'm sure this will help quite a few people with that dreaded task of mapping ;)
Couple of things:
Even if your using the sphere to help you map, it still helps a lot to start all your heads on a 2:1 canvas (Like 1024x512). Then all your shapes will show up in-game just as you drew them on the canvas. (Credits to Pate5 for that handy tip)
Also, the top mapping isn't perfect with really fine things. From what I can tell Photoshop seems to use round poles for its sphere whereas Toribash uses a square for some reason. So its better to keep it nice and simple even if your doing this.

Top mapping issue

You'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best. I've been gone for a month, I've been drunk since I left.
I've wanted a program capable of doing this, do the formula again, and draw on a special shape to be later converted to the square format, then back again ingame. This works.

Um. Gimp?
Bump.
The things i draw only shows when i restore or maximize my Photoshop.
Is there something wrong with my driver?
Already updated it