Toribash
If anything they're just as bad. But if i had to pick then yes, I'd prefer them. Facebook, YouTube, twitter, are examples of what happens when a private company have huge control on public opinion and can censor anyone as they please. I just don't like tiktok because of privacy concerns and the rampant censorship of certain topics (i.e Muslims in "re-education" camps, 1989 Tiananmen square massacre, etc).
[insert generic quotes from certain players]
I mean let the people with the farthest geographical distance from you have the data. If the US got your data and you live there, they would obviously come punch u. But chinaman get data and you in US, they need some long arm.
Glimpsed
the average iq for someone who uses tiktok daily is as much as room temperature water.
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
Facebook and twitter have been censoring posts related to insurgency in the US and actively pushing ads with false science in them.
They also sell your data to the government to use, so if you live here... you should absolutely trust Chinese software over US software.

Originally Posted by Maya View Post
Facebook and twitter have been censoring posts related to insurgency in the US and actively pushing ads with false science in them.
They also sell your data to the government to use, so if you live here... you should absolutely trust Chinese software over US software.

US insurgencies? The closest thing i could imagine to an insurgency happening in the US is groups like proud boys, black militia groups and other militias who would start an actual insurgency.

We all know Facebook is fishy as hell when it comes to information and privacy. And its a known fact that they sell your data and promote fake news encouraged by the algorithm. I go against big tech corporations. They have a monopoly in terms of competition and have stifled competition for a very long time. They have been silencing the opposing opinion by labelling it as "hate speech" and can even affect people irl. There have been instances in the us where people have lost their jobs for saying a different opinion. Even these big tech companies are being influenced by the ccp, hence why talking about ccp in a negative light wont end well for you or anyone who agrees with you.

Chinese apps are way worse.

If you do something that's a punishable offence in china, you can be affected by it. Criticising china's way of censoring free speech will affect you. Criticising china on how china handled the covid situation horribly will affect you. Chinese apps aren't trustworthy and never will be more than American apps
Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
We all know Facebook is fishy as hell when it comes to information and privacy. And its a known fact that they sell your data and promote fake news encouraged by the algorithm. I go against big tech corporations. They have a monopoly in terms of competition and have stifled competition for a very long time. They have been silencing the opposing opinion by labelling it as "hate speech" and can even affect people irl. There have been instances in the us where people have lost their jobs for saying a different opinion.

how are they silencing opinions?
in my view, everybody gets an isolated slice of opinions perfectly catered to them, which isn't good, but it's not silencing any opinion. it's just amplifying them too much to a specific subset of users.

could you give an example of "hate speech" that somebody was fired for?
i don't think we should be firing people for their opinions in general, but if it's blatantly racist/sexist/bigoted i see no problems.

Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
Even these big tech companies are being influenced by the ccp, hence why talking about ccp in a negative light wont end well for you or anyone who agrees with you.

Chinese apps are way worse.

If you do something that's a punishable offence in china, you can be affected by it. Criticising china's way of censoring free speech will affect you. Criticising china on how china handled the covid situation horribly will affect you. Chinese apps aren't trustworthy and never will be more than American apps

as far as i know you can still shit on china if you're not a public figure/event.
i think recently there was some vague law that allowed china to prosecute anyone in the world, but iirc that would only affect you if you are going to china.

none of this is good, but to pretend like any one of us is gonna face china's wrath is a little dramatic imo.

also, how did china handle it horribly? it seems to me they got that shit contained in a matter of weeks.

iirc there's only 2 possible areas of critique:
- there was some delay in china reporting the gene sequencing of the novel coronavirus
- people have known for a while that china's meat markets are a petri dish for such diseases

the second one i wouldn't say is really related to the 'handling of the covid situation'.
alright guy