ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Teacher Kradel: Aikido
Teacher Kradel
Aikido

Oh how I love this mod, Aikido is a basic mod with a fair rules and a simple task. Beat your opponent by points or by disqualification. Here you will learn how I play Aikido and how learn how to save yourself and gain an upper hand on your opponent. If you have any questions simply message me.

Lesson 1 (Basics): Like I did with the spar tutorial, I will tell you what Aikido is in Toribash terms. Aikido is a mod in which you must kick the living shit out of your opponent. You can dismember, disqualify, decapitate and fracture your opponent in this mod. You need to try and stay low and on the ground so you can lift your opponent or bring them down. Staying high up can give your opponent a chance to throw you out, lift you or disqualify you all too easily. You want to have a good technique for every turn frame. You must stay in control as much as you can and try to avoid throwing yourself to the edges and corners of the ring (well, it's a square). You have to four options on how you want to fight. Option one involves a defensive technique in relax or hold and option two is the opposite. So an offensive technique in relax or hold. The other two are simply the two states in which your Tori can be in, relax or hold. I personally like to be offensive in tournaments but in the finals I switch to something a little more defensive. Remember: stay low, control, avoid disqualification risks, hold or relax, offensive or defensive.

Lesson 2 (Style): No, I don't mean the way you are dressed. I mean your style of fighting. You have people who want to win in the easiest way possible, these are people who either lift or shove you within the first couple of turn frames. It's not a 'bad' thing to be one of these people but the in-game community doesn't like those kinds of fighters. Now, the way I fight is I like to do a special kick which gives me a chance to dismember my opponents shoulder or hip. If the kick fails I have my arms in a position which lets me lift my opponents. This is if your going offensive. When I am going defensive I like to get down as fast as I can and fight on hold. If you are going down to the ground into a defensive stance try to keep your legs as close to the ground or on the ground during that movement. If your legs are up from the ground and your opponent is lifting, they can easily lift you with no problem. Many fighters suggest fighting in the relaxed state but this isn't for everybody. Relax states gives you less control on certain joints while holding them keeps them where you want them to be. If you are going to learn to fight relaxed, learn it first and see if its right for you.

Lesson 3 (Starter): Starters aren't as big of a deal on Aikido but they can give you a very good lead on your opponent. Many opponents like to do a relaxed modified version of a 'noob clap'. The aim of this move I do not know. What you want to do is have an opener that will either deal damage or protect yourself. Nothing in-between because then you are trying two different things at once and that won't work too well for you. If you do try to do something defensive, yet offensive. I recommend a kick while you use your arm to block a possible punch. Pretty much all openers in Aikido are aimed to grab you, grab your opponent back if they grab you. A cool trick you must know is that if you contract your wrists it kind of jolts your movement and gives it a better possibility of it happening other than your opponents. There isn't too much to say about starters because the possibilities are endless. Or however many different combinations of joints exist.

Lesson 4 (Control): I said a bit about this already but contracting your wrist can help you gain control an upper hand over your opponent. This is probably why many people like to do the modified noob clap with contracted wrists. As far as control goes, if you see your opponent overpowering you. Try letting go of them if you are grabbing them, this may give you a good chance to save yourself. You can also experiment with your elbows and shoulders as well as your chest. There isn't much to say on this because control is something you will just learn through playing Aikido.

Lesson 5 (Train): If you want to become good at a mod, keep training. I have been playing Aikido since I started Toribash and I don't want to sound big headed but I am good at it. I am not the best but I do think I am well trained in the mod. That is why I am here, trying to teach you today. For more information just contact me. Videos are below if you need extra help.

Video Support

fudgiebalz contribution

Last edited by Kradel; Aug 13, 2014 at 11:28 PM.
blue
pink
I feel like the most important lesson (as a recent noob) is lesson 4 as this is probably the thing most of us had struggle with and from time to time so do I. Awesome tutorial

http://i.imgur.com/rDIQpV8.gif
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18
Thank you. If you need more info simply message me.
Next tutorial will be: Taekkyon just to let you know.
blue
pink
Originally Posted by Kradel View Post
Thank you. If you need more info simply message me.
Next tutorial will be: Taekkyon just to let you know.

I look forward to it Kradel. Keep up the awesome work.
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18
Originally Posted by fudgiebalz View Post
the colour is not needed you know

Colour is handy if we lost the part where he like example says about style etc , if you wanna find it back you can see it in the color list , if he would make a legend list with color/part .
Originally Posted by kakajade View Post
Colour is handy if we lost the part where he like example says about style etc , if you wanna find it back you can see it in the color list , if he would make a legend list with color/part .

i think you mean inscription
and i don't think it'd be hard to find where you're reading back without the colours
in my opinion, it only makes it harder

and you forgot to mention the grab glitch, Kradel
alright guy
Are the colors really that bad? I thought it made it easier to read and it also looked nice.

P.S. - What do you mean by grab glitch? Because I covered something on grabs in the text.