Toribash
Original Post
Revive Toribash
Toribash needs a revive, all it will take is a superficial update with flashy marketing/advertising, some swagged out videos. and then active moderating on beginner servers to keep out smurfs. with decent marketing and decent moderating 100% this game can get a revive, there is no other game competing against it.

Plz don't let it die slowly as its player base gets older and fades away.
Originally Posted by NUMP View Post
and then active moderating on beginner servers to keep out smurfs.

+1 for this. Tori-agents used to sit and hop between newbie servers to ease people into the game. I think that was a real good thing they did. That responsibility seemed to fade over time after they merged with some other team to make pink GK iirc.

Be good to this sort of thing done again by some newbie-focused team. If we were to bring something like that back I reckon the guys doing that job should be the older and active fellas that have been around the forum/game for a while.
Last edited by Ele; Nov 3, 2016 at 01:54 AM.
I agree with almost all that you say NUMP, by the way, you really need to be specific, i, personally, always get so sad when i see this.

"Most users ever online was 14,456, Nov 22, 2012 at 03:43 AM".

Toribash is getting boring to a lot of people, probably because every update, doesn't have a several change, a update that you see and says: "Wow, that's what i asked for!", and i don't even know what a several change would be necessary, visual changes? perhaps? i don't know, but i really like Toribash, i started playing this in 2011 in my previous account, i really got awesome moments to remember, memories that flew like petals in autumn, by the way, you can see that the popularity of Toribash plummeted, when you see the first trailer got 2 millions of views, and the another one, 35,000.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
+1 for this. Tori-agents used to sit and hop between newbie servers to ease people into the game. I think that was a real good thing they did. That responsibility seemed to fade over time after they merged with some other team to make pink GK iirc.

Be good to this sort of thing done again by some newbie-focused team. If we were to bring something like that back I reckon the guys doing that job should be the older and active fellas that have been around the forum/game for a while.

Would be interesting to revisit. It was the first staff position I worked and while I never found out (if it was even discovered) how the TAs affected the retention rate of new users it was fulfilling (albeit tedious and time consuming) work.

Can't remember the reason it was removed either. That could well have been deemed lack of effectiveness or just phased out because eventually just got slack with it that it was killed off in one of the GK iterations.

Originally Posted by DSCGS View Post
I agree with almost all that you say NUMP, by the way, you really need to be specific, i, personally, always get so sad when i see this.

"Most users ever online was 14,456, Nov 22, 2012 at 03:43 AM".

Toribash is getting boring to a lot of people, probably because every update, doesn't have a several change, a update that you see and says: "Wow, that's what i asked for!", and i don't even know what a several change would be necessary, visual changes? perhaps? i don't know, but i really like Toribash, i started playing this in 2011 in my previous account, i really got awesome moments to remember, memories that flew like petals in autumn, by the way, you can see that the popularity of Toribash plummeted, when you see the first trailer got 2 millions of views, and the another one, 35,000.

That number was when there was a big bot swarm here iirc. Toribash has never had near that many real people online.

But yea your points stand. The game has been stale for the last...god, as long as I remember. Since I joined (7 years ago) the only main things added have been:
Hairs
Objects
Various other cosmetic things
Bug fixes
Command changes and quality of life updates
Maybe stuff to do with mods/mod maker? I dunno, I don't deal with that a lot.

The main capturing point of the game has always been:
1. The unique gameplay (turn-based physics rag-doll fighting)
2. Customisation
3. The community generated aspect (mods, scripts, shaders, flames, replays)

And there are issues with all of these.
1. There is nothing wrong with the gameplay inherently. What's wrong is that the leanring curve is huge and people get turned off quickly unless they have a mate helping them out and pushing them to continue. Also there's not really an endgame. You play lots and then what? Grinding for belts gets boring. I got bored of it around blackbelt/first dan as you can see. Of course you keep playing casual with friends, try mods and stuff - I always just had other games I'd rather play.

2. To get to the point where you can really have fun with customisation, one of the biggest aspects of the game, you need to have a lot of tc to invest in textures and items. A lot of people don't both pursuing this because the effort is greater than the rewards. Granted, this is where the money is made - people buying tc and items with $$, but I think it would help the retention rate immensely if the reward structure and costings were reviewed and changed to give players an easy buy into customisation. 128 textures should be easy to obtain. Give people a taste. Then increase the work needed to earn 215s and 512s to match their willingness to invest their time. Work and reward.

3. This is tricky. It grows as the community grows. And the more/better community generated content the more users you will draw and retain. It's kinda useless if you can't hit that critical mass.

So yea there are various problems in my view. I don't have solutions though, that's not my job. Does it need reviving? I don't know. Everyone will have a different opinion on that depending on what they want the game and community to be.
for me it looks like people that can make an impact in the game are
no more,things get done really slowly or not at all,perhaps they expect
too much from volunteers?

personally i think the people who take important decisions in the game
should be a lot more active in the community,there are times that it
seems like something is going to happen but then....nothing happens.

things like the clan system
the rank system
the achievements (respect to skul for actually trying)
there is space for improvements and users have made suggestions
for years now but nothing changes

perhaps something like the promoteam could happen again?
Like actually pay people to make things done?

just my thoughts
Originally Posted by nikosefs View Post
for me it looks like people that can make an impact in the game are
no more,things get done really slowly or not at all,perhaps they expect
too much from volunteers?

personally i think the people who take important decisions in the game
should be a lot more active in the community,there are times that it
seems like something is going to happen but then....nothing happens.

things like the clan system
the rank system
the achievements (respect to skul for actually trying)
there is space for improvements and users have made suggestions
for years now but nothing changes

perhaps something like the promoteam could happen again?
Like actually pay people to make things done?

just my thoughts

A lot of the things I'm guessing you seem to have in mind to get done are things that the general staff (admins, smods, etc) can't do or control. They're all things that require developers to develop - and I've touched on this time and time again - but the resources just aren't there.
money is spent on toribash,its just not spent on nabi since there
are third parties (the users) that offer better prices than the game itself.

like you already stated,the costings must be reviewed,redirecting
the resources to toribash itself,and this is were promo team did good
work i think.

edit:and the definition of gold farmer:
What is a gold farmer?
Gold farming is playing a massively multiplayer online game to acquire in-game currency that other players purchase in exchange for real-world money.

what does a gold farmer does to the stability of the economy?
As in the real world, actions by players can destabilize the economy. Gold farming creates currency within the game more rapidly than usual, exacerbating inflation.
Last edited by nikosefs; Nov 3, 2016 at 01:22 PM.
Originally Posted by Dare View Post
Personally one of the big downfalls in this game is the ranking system. Ever since they changed the system less people have been playing. Honestly when your a high belt it's fun to see ur rank get better and you will get to challenge yourself to be the best. Now with the new system, absolutely pointless. It's just a tc hander outer.

If we go back to the old system I'm sure we will get more members back. In addition I have to agree that the learning curve is high and that we need people to help out the new peeps. Lately I made an alt to see how many people are in beginners, there was like 1 or 2. Compared to a years agO almost full servers. I agree that we need staff to help the new guys out. The game does get boring when you face the same people every single day.

Also, another thing is tc. We have to sink tc! The monthly ranking rewards are putting too much tc into this game. It's makes getting items alot easier, in turn makes the game boring to the people with higher belts.
And we need more than just a clan league event. We need to return a Christmas event like clan leagle that can bring out the old guys. And when they return more people will start playing again for that moment of time in which people could gain interest in the game again.

Right now this game is hanging on by a thread, some of the old players are still playing which keeps the game intact "for now" but most of us are about to head to college or already in college. So sooner or later us oldies will leave tb and there won't another newer gen of players to take over.

I agree with everything dare said, a lot of the competitive players will come back if we simply revert back to the old ranking system.
Ashing gold, I'm fucking sold, the devil stole my fucking soul.