Ranking
Original Post
Lugaru: Overgrowth
If you haven't played the original Lugaru, then go check it out in the convenient hyper text link I have provided. It was notable for a few reasons. One was implementing advanced physics and context simulation into the fighting system. I.E, instead of having 8 or a dozen buttons with which to preform combos, you get three; crouch, jump, and attack, coupled with the movement. You could make a large variety of attacks based simply on context. For instance, a weak punch (Standstill-Attack) thrown at an enemy who doesn't know of your presence will deal extra damage and maybe knock him down to the ground. Thrown at an alert enemy, it will just push him back because he's in a fighter stance, or he might counter it. If an enemy launched a kick at your face, you could do a few things; handspring back to dodge, crouch to allow it to pass and then attack, or best yet, use a unique context-based reversal system to catch the leg, stop it with your hand, and then deliver a kick of your own to the off-balanced enemy- right in the groin, sending them flying with the message of "BOI, DON'TCHU DARE TOUCH ME AGAIN, YA HEAR?". An enemy throwing a punch at you might find himself on the ground from a crouching sweep kick, or behind your back from a throw. If the opposite is true, you can quickly flip in mid-air to re-gain your balance, or roll harmlessly upon impact if you get thrown over the enemy's shoulder. Context, physics, and realism are the key 3 motivators of Lugaru. Thousands of people thought it well worth the money of 20$, and it was drastically simple compared to L2, named Overgrowth. Dozens of enemies. Dozens of new weapons. Shader based graphics. Large terrains coupled with detailed layered skies, complete with atmospheric effects like blur and haze. Dynamic physics engine Phoenix, allowing everything from a knife throw to a blood drop be affected by everything else in the dynamic power. A nicely crafted storyline, along with a separate co-op storyline and online multiplayer. Beautifully rendered high end terrain. A liquid physics engine allowing water to be used. Implementing unique aspects of the animals, like the wolf's keen scent, with the rest of the world- a bloodied rabbit upwind of a wolf will draw a large amount of attention. A sneaky rabbit lying in water downwind of the wolf will be able to pass as a shadow, leaving behind a body, and not his own. I'm barely touching on this shiny unique Indie work of awesome. Right now, you can pre-order it for 30$, though it would be wise to wait for the free demo. (Release: Q1 of '09) Fast-paced, realistic fights immerse you quickly in Lugaru, and Overgrowth can only promise to be Lugaru to the 10th power.

All of that, and there are more subtle awesome aspects. Like the whale man. You digg?
Last edited by Ragdollmaster; Nov 1, 2008 at 03:13 AM.
How to complain in style: GG, Mahulk.
Lugaru was one of my favorite games, and Overgrowth is going to be far better. I have preordered already.
0.o wormy, good to see ya not dead.
RDM this is a hard core pluging thread so the game must be good so Ill go check it out now.
EDIT: BUUNNIES! donny darko ftw. fighting looks awsome (love any game where stealth is realisticly possable) Is it a cpu intensive coz i got 30fps on TB without shaders :-(
Last edited by C0XY; Nov 2, 2008 at 11:35 AM.
[o]
Despite the fact that my eyes became cubic from reading the block of text, i am looking forward to this, a lot.
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Way ahead of you, mate. õ_õ

*Tunasmack*

And besides, it's a spheer.
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol