Toribash
Original Post
Book of Records Plagiarism Rule
Okay, so, why is plagiarism in the BoR not punishable? It's stealing someone else's replay, changing it a bit, and posting it on the BoR board as their own record. This is becoming much more of a problem as of recently because of the bounty rewards, so this needs to be addressed. For some reason, this is only punished if they do it over and over and over again.

Stealing someones replay for your own benefit should be infracted/bannable. Period. Or else people are just going to keep attempting it without worrying about getting a punishment and not just a slap on the wrist.

Other than that, I can't think of much to say. Who supports this?
ナゲット
I'd say its pretty simple.

Nobody is getting hurt, also most of the times the replays are edits, as far as I know.
In any offence the punishment should be approximately equal to the amount of harm done.
Which in this case is very little. Sure if someone keeps doing it after getting warned many times it should be adressed with more "force", but in a victimles offence I dont think people should dole out bans.

For example. I hosted an event which I ran shittily and basically ran away with the price money (which I wouldve won anyways but thats besides the point). I got banned for few months.
I took around 100k from other players and neglected my duties as a host. AKA not a victimless offence, thus I got rightly banned.
Now if you are saying that someone editing a pre-existing replay of someone and trying to pass it as their own is worth a ban as well I'd argue it's the contrary.
I can see an infraction tbf, but not a ban.
Especially because I dont think anyone has been able to pull that off, since the people who run the book of record notice when that happens.
Last edited by cowmeat; Mar 17, 2016 at 02:48 AM.
If someone steals a replay and submits it as their own, in my opinion that definitely falls under our pre-existing stance on plagiarism. It's probably fine to formalize that into some sort of rule.

However, if someone takes one of your replays and edits it in a significant fashion that improves its capacity to break whatever record it's being submitted for, I find myself less opposed to this; particularly if that replay was already submitted by you for that record. In short, it's a quick and gritty statement of "You were lazy, and you could've improved this in these ways". Ideally, records aren't trivially beaten like that, so please check your replays for easy improvements before submission.

If it hasn't already been submitted for a record, then the requirement for truly significant edits increases, and at the very least the original replay maker should be credited if not contacted, in my opinion.

As for whether or not plagiarism is victimless: that's not a particularly strong argument in this case. The Book of Records ideally keeps track of people who, based on merit, have managed to achieve great things and those same things. If the people they're tracking don't have that merit, then the Book of Records is failing at half of what it's supposed to do; which is to give people credit for trying new and interesting things.

Furthermore, particularly concerned people might be unwilling to post replays and other materials on the basis that others might decide that it's not worth the risk of getting their hard work stolen for some stupid record. Whether or not that actually harms them is irrelevant: it's merely whether or not people decide not to contribute because of it. It's not the potential individual harm that makes plagiarism bad, but the rampant attention whoring it implies and the damage it does to the community (by discouraging content creators from being recognized) and the community's reputation as a whole.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
Replay stealing has been historically dealt with under the plagiarism rule. Nothing that gets in the book of records has been plagiarized, we're incredibly vigilant about maintaining the truth to that. There are rules in place that emphasize that even taking the opener of an outstanding record will invalidate it, if you wish to break a record you must do it yourself. As for our light hand regarding punishment, we tend to treat things on a case by case basis rather than a outlined guide of what we should do when someone steals a replay. Most instances of replay stealing are incredibly new players who don't really know better and once reprimanded they don't do it again. In other cases users will blatantly lie about the true origin of the replay and become repeat offenders where their threads will be shut down and proper infractions/bans end up being handed out. In regards to the way punishment has functioned in the book of records, we're probably going to have to start being more heavy handed as the new introduction of Record Bounties has caused quite an uproar of greed within it.

I'll bring this up with the other replay board local moderators as I think we've been a little light handed as well.
Last edited by millie; Mar 17, 2016 at 09:47 AM.
Originally Posted by Orko View Post
As for our light hand regarding punishment, we tend to treat things on a case by case basis rather than a outlined guide of what we should do when someone steals a replay. Most instances of replay stealing are incredibly new players who don't really know better and once reprimanded they don't do it again. In other cases users will blatantly lie about the true origin of the replay and become repeat offenders where their threads will be shut down and proper infractions/bans end up being handed out.

this is really all i've seen ever in the replay boards honestly. there's been two cases so far of "theft" in the records board but i don't think there was any real malice there. in fact i bet i could count on my hand how many times replay stealing was a huge issue, at least since i've been active on the forums. i'm not opposed to slightly heavier consequences, like 1 warning 1 infraction 1 ban or something. but i don't think its a huge deal.
wow that
sucked