Ranking
Original Post
[Study] Half throw study thread
In this thread i would like all members to post a half throw replay with a screenshot of the set up the throw and the finish. If you have multipul of the same set up and finish try to post at least three to show you can replicate it. When we have the data we will do a visual guide for throws including details for sucessful throws from each position. Ill need help with viewing the replays computer still dead
Start of visual guide

yoko otoshi
lower elbow contracted
Last edited by monkeyishi; Nov 28, 2016 at 04:43 PM.
Here's a leg blocking half throw known in judo as a yoko otoshi. The premise of the technique is to drop down low, usually in a squatting position, where you block the leg on the side you plan to throw your opponent over. I'll put some set up and finish pictures for those who can't view the replays for some reason.

Picture examples

Attached Files
Yoko Otoshi 5.rpl (71.1 KB, 6 views)
Yoko Otoshi 2.rpl (51.8 KB, 3 views)
Yoko Otoshi 3.rpl (38.6 KB, 3 views)
I can only provide replay. I have little to no knowledge of real world techniques. But I'll state what I know about pulling half throws.

Half throws comes from many setups and also depends on timing. Some half throws maybe pulled off explosively. Others can be pulled off conservatively. And it is less risky than full throws because you have a quicker arm movement to put your opponent to the floor and halfs also do not require momentum killing arm swaps. Half throws can also be combined with other techniques which may give grapplers a chance of victory. Also, half throws may also counter another technique depending on the position of the user. I hope my replays help with the half throw study. I cannot state anything further due to my lack of real world moves knowledge.

All of these replays have some form of a half throw in it, mind the title !
------------------------------
Attached Files
Ankle Pick.rpl (52.2 KB, 3 views)
Half & Single Combo.rpl (44.3 KB, 4 views)
Half Threw 2.rpl (38.5 KB, 3 views)
Half Threw.rpl (55.0 KB, 4 views)
Half Thrown.rpl (38.7 KB, 4 views)
Half'd.rpl (43.9 KB, 4 views)
Lmao Rip Zalf.rpl (63.5 KB, 4 views)
Oh God.rpl (63.5 KB, 3 views)
Pin Pressure.rpl (51.9 KB, 4 views)
Sweep Counter.rpl (41.0 KB, 3 views)
Sweepy (Hiza Guruma).rpl (44.0 KB, 8 views)
Last edited by iPrime; Nov 11, 2016 at 08:06 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Haha! Ur mad!
Sweepy wasn't a hiza guruma. However, hiza guruma is most definitely a half throw technique. Most judo foot sweeps have a half throw foundation, I'll link all my saved judo sweeps and you'll see a common trend.
-----
I'd also like to propose this: It's somewhere between a full throw and a half throw, I turned my chest from one side to the other, but didn't switch my pecs because if I did my opponent would have had a chance to recover and land inside the dojo. I think I'll call it a three quarters throw (3/4 throw)
Attached Files
Harai tsuri komi ashi.rpl (46.4 KB, 4 views)
Hiza Guruma.rpl (38.8 KB, 4 views)
O Uchi Gari.rpl (55.0 KB, 5 views)
Ko Soto Gake.rpl (46.7 KB, 6 views)
Tani Otoshi 2.rpl (27.4 KB, 3 views)
Okuri Ashi Harai.rpl (33.0 KB, 4 views)
Tani Otoshi 3.rpl (65.7 KB, 4 views)
Three Quarters Throw.rpl (60.1 KB, 6 views)
Last edited by Iskenos; Nov 12, 2016 at 01:00 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
It was a Hiza according to Aquita.

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?p=8866224

Page 62, 5th post.
Last edited by iPrime; Nov 12, 2016 at 01:30 AM.
Haha! Ur mad!
I don't care what Aquita called it, that's not a hiza guruma, but this isn't the place to argue about it.
I can maybe provide from my experience as a judo student

Big

Attached Files
badegafd.rpl (49.2 KB, 6 views)
We could broaden this technique. Something along the lines of half throws vs leg grabs. This kimura drag can be a variation.

The key is to use the grabbed leg as a fulcrum.
Attached Files
leggrab gets half thrown.rpl (33.0 KB, 9 views)
I don't give a flyin' fladoodle
Yes i was gonna say that looks like a classic half throw Roux. I'll move it there.
Leader of the Spyder House
Toribash Martial Artists