ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Aikido Tutorials?
I've seen a lot of tutorials for decapping, and the like, but I'm looking for something that deals with aikido.

I've done a search on Aikido on the tutorial forums, but I've come up with nothing specific.

I usually beat most opponents on the intermediate servers that I play in, if that's any judge of my skill. Mostly, I'm looking for starting moves, and reversals if possible.

Thanks. If there's already a similar, thread, feel free to link.
ummm...there cant really be a tut on aikido cuz its multiplayer. and i don't recommend sharing your openers here cuz then anyone can make a counter. but one of the mos used openers is shoveling. when you shovel, you basiclly grab the opponents torso or legs then lift your arms and move foreward to dq them. and if you think intermediate is too easy, go to semi pro. if you want a alternative to aikido, try technique (its at the bottom of the list)
Clanless? Join The Chosen Ones User was supported by SAN STUDIOS!
I think the most important thing you need to know about aikido is that it actually puts little emphasis on the arms, rather it relies heavily on the legs. Nearly all of the force from most aikido manuvers - whether it be defense, offense, or counter attack, comes from the legs (and gravity), with the rare exception of an arm then and again. After getting your first grip it's really mostly a game of manipulating your legs; that's all aikido really is up to a black belt level - the matching of how well you can harness the power in your legs.

So let's go through a quick overview of the legs; contracting the hips will make your enemy come down (and slightly towards you), extending will make your enemy go up and away from you. I suggest you relax a hip if you don't plan to do one or the other. The idea with the hips is that you shift your weight foward/backwards, which is what gives you alot of your power. Indeed, if you're heading for the ground with contracted hips, you can then extend hips in order to push yourself back up! But the thing is your ankles must hit the ground for this to work, this is an example of when you could need to extend/contract your ankles...

Then unless you're aiming at total anihilation of your enemy without regard for your own safety, I'd suggest you relax your knees while your feet are still on the ground. This way you can have a short boost of energy when you extend your knees in order to push back the enemy or to make him fly over you.

I don't recommand contracing the leg unless you're sure you'll land on it, which in itself, is actually a very useful manuver. Contracting a hip and contract the knee lands you 80% of the time on that knee if you're coming at the ground at the correct angle (I recommend using only one foot for this, and the other with an extend knee, you'll have more balance this way). You can then, of course, use all of that stored power in that knee by extending the hip and extending the knee to make a leap foward.

The ankles, well, I would recommend to simply relax them until you need them, and there ussually are three cases when you need to; to lower the profile of your feet (touch the ground with a smaller area) in order to prevent dqing outside of the dojo, to move yourself away from the ground when you did a landing on your feet with the contract hip + contract knee trick, and to move yourself away from the ground will your feet are fully extended for resitance against lift/to push yourself further foward (shift your weight further foward) when you're pushing foward already. Beware! If you extend your ankles too early (e.g when you're not pushing foward) your enemy can use your own force against you by lifting you!

And lastly, the glutes, they allow you to land on your feet at diffrent angles and balance yourself against a push by putting the feet in the dirrection of the push. AKA they can where your legs applying weight - I recommend however, keeping them in default because that way both legs are used - instead of one when they're fully extended. Still, if you're a defensive sort, you can relax them, and that way they'll naturally assume the postion they need (when the feet are on the ground) to minimize the force coming towards your feet aimed at debalancing you.

Well that's it on the legs; the upper body is a bit harder to describe. While the legs are the source of almost your power by shifting the weight of your body foward/backward, your body can slightly shift to the the side (via lumber), slightly foward/backward (the abs and the neck), and the rest of your upperbody controls in what motion the weight comes (chest + arms). The most common method of using the upper body is raising the shoulders to dirrect the enemy upperwards, and lowering the shoulders to lower him. However spinning motions can also be achieved (try expermenting here) for various effects (for example, debalancing).

While most aikido competitions up to a brown belt level are ussually just pitting how well one can outmatch the other person's weight, there are, naturally, a few other things to consider, when you fight at a higher level of aikido. When one fights a black belt or higher in aikido, one can be almost certain that they've completly mastered the concept of shifting weight - so all fights will technically end in draws, logically seen. However this is hardly true - as most black belts (and some blues and browns) don't simply pit their own weight agaisnt the enemy's - they use the enemy's weight shifting to their own advantage.

The most common example of this is an aikido comeback. It happens when it appears that one player is overpowering another player - and then a shoulder is raised, or a knee is extended, and then other player finds that he's no longer pushing his weight on the enemy, rather he's pushing his weight against the air - nothing, aka, he's going to very quickly, eat ground. The idea is that you introduce a force which doesn't dirrectly compete with the enemy's weight - rather which comes from the side of the enemy's force, below the enemy's force, or, very rarely, from above. This will cause him to lose balance and force him on the defensive since he needs to reshift his weight very quickly. Up to a 2nd/3rd dan level (or, some talented black belts) one of these comebacks will be enough to force the enemy to eat ground - but above that level, it's common to see multiple come backs.

Another trick which is used by black belts and up is a spinning motion created with the manipulating the arms correctly to 'spin' the enemy onto the ground, head first, or to use the spinning motion to do a side step and/or use your enemy's own weight against him. Attached are some replays were I illustrate the point (I'm a sidestep-lover ;p).

Now let's get to a couple of common aikido starters that are commonly used and their advantages and disadvantages/counters;

The shovel/lift: A common blue-brown belt move (although some blacks use it), where the enemy tries to lift you outside of the dojo.

Advantages: It's a very good move that puts the enemy into disadvantage very quickly as it moves them very quickly to the dojo. It's quite hard to counter because of how it can work against many moves. This has led to many elitists calling it 'noob', ( Disadvantages: ) but one must understand that this move puts you in a severe disadvantage, as a good comeback will utterly destroy this move and, a lot of the time, send you plumeting, face first, into the ground.

To counter the shovel I recommend to either lift the enemy yourself (as they're already do an upward motion by trying to lift you - if you outmatch their force, they'll be launched towards the air), or to attempt to use a comeback against them.

The 'noob clap': A very tight grip commonly used by newbies, where a player grabs another player by grabing with both arms.

Advantages:This can allow for more powerful control against the enemy, this move commonly hits the top part of the arms, which means you'll have to do the same move with both arms (which is what gives the move its powerful grip). You can also suddendly ungrab one of the hands and use them to balance yourself/prepare for a comeback.

Disadvantages: You can only do very basic manpulations with this sort of starter as most of the time it hits not the lower part of the arm - but rather the upper body or the top part of the arm. Also it has almost no defense against lift kicks/other offensive moves...

Counters; Grab with only one arm! He'll have to balance with his two feet, while you can balance with both legs and an arm! This should give you a good edge against it, plus, you'll be able to do more complicated manipulations.

The lift kick: A higher level version of the shovel used by black belts and up (again, there are execeptions with blue/browns) - it uses a rising leg rather than weight shifting from both legs on the ground to launch the enemy into the air. It's commonly used with one arm to grab and one arm to defend as described in the next move. Sometimes both arms are used for grabbing.

Advantages: If the hit contacts, you will put your enemy in a bad postion very quickly.

Disadvantages: If you miss, you're putting your momentum into the air, meaning you can easily be flipped over. Plus, you're balancing on one leg. But, if you're good enough you can use the momentum you've created to your own advantage...

Counter: Side step the kick (hint; lowering the shoulders sometimes does magic here... sometimes it doesn't) and do a spinning motion with the arms to debalance your enemy onto his head.

Attack and defend: The most common move, used in conjuction with the lift kick, used by brown belts and up. It consists of using one arm to grab the enemy and the other, with a raised shoulder, extended pec, and contracted elbow to defend against an incoming grab.

Advantages: All rounder, adapt to any situtation.

Disadvantages: No real speciality...

Well that's it for the guide - attached are a couple of replays and I'll tell you what you should try to see with each one;

'pretty reversal' - This demonstrates the use of a 'spinning motion' and what happens when a comeback from the top.

'decap lose' - spinning motion used to flip someone over after they've been lifted

"shovel killer 1 and 2" replays that I borrowed from slith (hats off dude) - I think they show how you can lift someone over your head + use a spinning motion.

"beat a 9th dan in sambo" sorry for the tittle I thought it was an achivement that I got lucky , anyways, this showcases the use of a side step against a lift kick ( which the guy abandonded but it still put him in a disadvantage that I exploited... ), perfect use of the contract hip + contract knee combo

"beuty" (the in-game names are for some reason, mixed up); while it's against a noob, it demonstrates the use of a side step + spinning motion to debalance
Attached Files
pretty reversal.rpl (41.0 KB, 45 views)
decap lose.rpl (35.8 KB, 35 views)
Shovel Killer 1.rpl (52.0 KB, 52 views)
Shovel Killer 2.rpl (43.9 KB, 41 views)
beat a 9th dan in sambo.rpl (43.9 KB, 33 views)
beuty.rpl (27.4 KB, 26 views)
Last edited by Deprived_OLD; Aug 27, 2009 at 04:47 PM.
tl;dr: deprived is spergin'
Also, there's no need for openers in aikido.
<lumpysolo> ermergerd it's jalis <lumpysolo> love u too jalis <3
<jalis> you are worthless <jalis> ignored for my sanity
I rarely use openers in aikido. If I ever do, they're limp anyway.
infamous
try to dodge grabs without losing balance or let them grab u and let u fly over then PUT ALL UR WEIGHT contracting & lowering , things like that
And try to use only one hand for grabbing. Grabbing with both just becomes an immovable mess.
infamous
yeah. and i try to jump on top of the oppoonent sometimes, to weigh them down and dq
Clanless? Join The Chosen Ones User was supported by SAN STUDIOS!
Originally Posted by Deprived View Post
-snip-

O.O

I hope that ccovers everything that needs to be mentioned about sambo and aikido, nice tuturoial, should go in the tutorials section ._.

gj
Last edited by Magix; Aug 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM.