Ranking
Original Post
Hardness for Tori Body Parts
In modmaker you can you change the Hardness of environmental objects to act as a damage multiplier when this object hits your Tori (0 - no damage, 1 - normal damage, <1 - less than normal, >1 - more than normal damage).

Adding this parameter to Tori Body Parts in modmaker would be HUGE (especially for the mma/mas mods) because it would do away with so much unnecessary/unintended damage points from grappling. (We call these cheese points).

In the real world you do not strike your opponent with your thighs, hips, torso, chest, etc because these are not hard body parts that can be used as weapons. By allowing us to give these body parts a hardness of 0, they will no longer induce any damage points on the opponent which allows for more realistic scoring, which then can lead to a more fair mod to play competitively.

In addition to eliminating these cheese points, this parameter can be used to skew the damage potential of strikes depending on the real world "hardness" of that body part. If hands are given the benchmark hardness of (1.0) then elbows and knees can be given a hardness of say (1.75) because of how devastating elbow and knee strikes are. Meanwhile striking with the wrist/forearm could be a reducing factor of say (0.5) to encourage punching precision.
Leader of the Spyder House
Toribash Martial Artists
Originally Posted by footlox View Post
In modmaker you can you change the Hardness of environmental objects to act as a damage multiplier when this object hits your Tori (0 - no damage, 1 - normal damage, <1 - less than normal, >1 - more than normal damage).

Adding this parameter to Tori Body Parts in modmaker would be HUGE (especially for the mma/mas mods) because it would do away with so much unnecessary/unintended damage points from grappling. (We call these cheese points).

In the real world you do not strike your opponent with your thighs, hips, torso, chest, etc because these are not hard body parts that can be used as weapons. By allowing us to give these body parts a hardness of 0, they will no longer induce any damage points on the opponent which allows for more realistic scoring, which then can lead to a more fair mod to play competitively.

In addition to eliminating these cheese points, this parameter can be used to skew the damage potential of strikes depending on the real world "hardness" of that body part. If hands are given the benchmark hardness of (1.0) then elbows and knees can be given a hardness of say (1.75) because of how devastating elbow and knee strikes are. Meanwhile striking with the wrist/forearm could be a reducing factor of say (0.5) to encourage punching precision.

Personally, I will always view points as detrimental to the "culture" of high grav mods for many many reasons; but, those are unimportant here.

I think this is a great idea and could definitely help out in pub rooms for example; so, more skilled players are rewarded properly for their efforts during a fight.
Click Here To Learn MMA today!
If there is effort, there is always accomplishment. - Jigoro Kano
Valuing the point score in mma mods is detrimental because of how unstable the points can be. We all know you could land 3-4 clean head shots only to get grappled and lose on points even though you never took any real damage. We know that jabbing the head can yield the same points as landing a flying knee.

This would be one out of many steps that help stabilize the point scoring system enough so that Toribash could objectively elect a winner based on who did more realistic damage in a realistic fighting setting. In theory this would be done by:

1. Letting only vital targets award points when hit (head, lower torso, thigh), then all else == 0.
(I already implemented this in shootboxing and spyder mma mods).

2. Letting only viable weapons score points (hands + wrists, elbows, knees, shins, feet + ankles), then set the hardness of all else to 0.

3. Adjusting point and hardness "weights" so that different body parts give and take different points. Strikes that target the head award more than strikes that target the legs. Striking with your elbow yields more points than hitting with your hand.

4. (This is where it gets difficult) Revamp the point threshold so that only high velocity impacts can score points and so that they only score ONCE. Ideally if this is programmed correctly this would eliminate grapple points.

The details and specifics can all be up for debate but what we're left with is a damage based scoring system that can't be cheated by cheesing or grappling. With this in place you now have a fully realized competitive mma/kickboxing/shootboxing mod that can be played in public servers, tourneys, and clan wars because it is fair and balanced.
Last edited by footlox; Jul 24, 2021 at 05:28 PM.
Toribash Martial Artists
This would be a gamer changer for toribash as whole, not just our preferred gametypes.
I'm an ABD fulltime player, and even I would love to see this implemented, theres been to many times where i lost points to a butt bump or a accidental forearm nudge; or even just a simple grab to the shoulder or something
(Envy) Mascot | Full time kick your ass in ABD'r

Originally Posted by footlox View Post
Valuing the point score in mma mods is detrimental because of how unstable the points can be. We all know you could land 3-4 clean head shots only to get grappled and lose on points even though you never took any real damage. We know that jabbing the head can yield the same points as landing a flying knee.

This would be one out of many steps that help stabilize the point scoring system enough so that Toribash could objectively elect a winner based on who did more realistic damage in a realistic fighting setting. In theory this would be done by:

1. Letting only vital targets award points when hit (head, lower torso, thigh), then all else == 0.
(I already implemented this in shootboxing and spyder mma mods).

2. Letting only viable weapons score points (hands + wrists, elbows, knees, shins, feet + ankles), then set the hardness of all else to 0.

3. Adjusting point and hardness "weights" so that different body parts give and take different points. Strikes that target the head award more than strikes that target the legs. Striking with your elbow yields more points than hitting with your hand.

4. (This is where it gets difficult) Revamp the damage threshold so that only high velocity impacts can score points and so that they only score ONCE. Ideally if this is programmed correctly this would eliminate grapple points.

The details and specifics can all be up for debate but what we're left with is a damage based scoring system that can't be cheated by cheesing or grappling. With this in place you now have a fully realized competitive mma/kickboxing/shootboxing mod that can be played in public servers, tourneys, and clan wars because it is fair and balanced.

For step 4, instead of revamping the entire global pointthreshold parameter it would be much easier to just give us the option to assign a local pt_threshold to each body part just like the dm_threshold parameter. This would allow us to once again fine tune the point system but for target joints that would realistically require higher impacts to take damage vs others. (Ex: Thighs should really only take damage from high impact leg kicks.)
Toribash Martial Artists
this would be badass, dude. footlox, me and a few others were trying to get a KO system to work in the mma mod with the winpoint system (mostly him lol) and while we were trying to find the right threshold for points, i would land an extremely powerful hit and get one point, but the opponent would try to tackle me and i'd get like, 4 because their head hit my thigh. until we get a system like this, i dont think KOs will be in the game anytime soon
So in summary I think a modmaker update that included the addition of local hardness, pt_threshold, frac_threshold parameters that can be individually assigned to each joint and body part would be awesome.

local hardness and pt_threshold would allow us to balance the points system which leads to a fair, competitive mod.

local frac_threshold would let me play with a submission system for armbars and other joint-locks.

If this works like I envision it then we have some serious Esport potential shit.
Toribash Martial Artists
Just a reminder that this would radically improve MMA/realism mods as well as others.
Toribash Martial Artists
I support this as it promotes clean striking and can be benificial for other mods.