Toribash
Original Post
Community Outreach
Hey,

Something that's been on my mind for a while and that I've been meaning to do is having a conversation with the community about what you all would like and what changes you would want to happen.
We can also address any questions or concerns you might have or general things you want to say to our team to improve our communication.
I feel throughout the years the divide between the players and staff has gotten greater and would like to see the connection between us be improved.
This thread is going to, for a while at least, act as a basis for improving community-staff interaction.

Some things that I personally want to improve on and hope will happen:
- Communication
- Game activity
- Game enjoyability
- Events
Along with anything else that might be brought up in this thread.

Let me explain what I mean by improving communication:
There is a giant divide between staff and players.
I understand how frustrated the community might be with staff over things like not being informed about the clan system change and about prizes on events.
We're staff of this game for the players and we’d like to make this more obvious and visible through our actions, and to make sure everyone feels included.

We get a lot of feedback in the form of backlash and banter.
I want to change that and focus our discussions on what the game needs more.
The staff team will listen to any suggestion brought up and try our best to respond to everything.

Regarding game activity:
We all know that the Toribash has been losing players for a while now.
However, there are usually way more beginners online than there are people on the forums if that is any consolation.
This is why we are planning to move even more events client-side soon.
There have already been some very successful ingame events:
- Free Run Frenzy
- Hole In The Wall
These events have gotten amazing participation from everyone, and we want to do more events like this.
We believe that other events whether competitive, art-related, single-player, etc, will benefit greatly by being advertised and run in the game client.
Our main focus will be events focused on beginners, which will hopefully keep beginner retention up.
There are also some plans to make new items which are accessible to and aimed at beginners.

I'm interested in knowing what the community thinks about this.
For the time being, there will still be events held on the forums but as soon as we can get some dev work done to bring everything to the game client, we'll do that.

Regarding game enjoyability:
This is something that we need your input on, this is your game, and you're playing it.
- What kind of changes do you want to see?
There have been some ideas which could change up the meta a little bit in mods like ABD,TK,JF, and particularly lenshu.

If anyone remembers LesDuncan and what he was doing with TPL, it's sort of similar to the martial arts community now, in the way they've hosted fightnight events and they make new mods.
LesDuncan made a version of ABD in which lifting was still viable, however there are walls and a ceiling that prevented it from being a huge difficulty.
This mod is not perfect, but I would like to see what you all think about it.
In particular, what (if anything) would be required for you to consider it a competitive mod?

About Lenshu:
I believe Kane and fl0w have done an exceptionally good job on their winpoint lenshu mod.
When I mention TPL, this is the kind of mod that I'm imagining.
The running issue has been fixed, and a new feature like winpoints were added.
The communities reception on this event has always been good and in a competitive scene most people prefer this mod to normal lenshu3ng.

I'd like to ask everyone a question: when you play the game does it still feel rewarding?
Do you have anything you want to do in the game still, do you want more purpose?
There are ideas like a free battlepass, just quests for rewards.
Another one that we've had is automated tourneys with different rewards, starts at 10 people in the lobby, could be more TC than usual, or rewards from magicalsack(like an automated etourney but with worse rewards) but like stated previously, we're unsure what we should do.

My vision would be making adjustments to every competitively played mod and hosting events in them.
Just with slight adjustments, the way we play these mods is changed and it makes it more fun.

Regarding events:
Historically, prizes for events have rarely been amazing, and I know that there have been players complaining about prizes not being the best and I agree.
There has been a huge lack of competitive events, excluding clan league and WC, there haven't been any competitive multiplayer events hosted in a while.
There are some events that we're working on right now, and would like to get out soon, I'd just like to see what people have to say about TPL.

Summary:
In conclusion, the things that I want to work on are:
- Staff-Player interaction, keeping the community updated and asking for what the community wants
- More client-side events
- Working on different versions of the main 5 mods, seeing if there's any way to improve the competitive mod-list
- Better prizes and events, more frequent events
- Making the game more fun, adding new features to hopefully improve retention, new goals and a sense of purpose
- Any new content that is possible to do

I want to have a constructive discussion about these topics and address any questions or concerns you might have about anything not mentioned in this thread.
The OP will be updated if there's anything to update, and I hope this discussion will stick around for a while.
Thank you to everyone who spent their time on reading.
And if you want a shiai token, feel free to take this survey or spread it around in your circles
MS survey for the dueling community, feel free to take it for an ST. input is immensely appreciated.
Last edited by ancient; Feb 4, 2022 at 07:12 PM.
pm me your questions or applications

https://i.imgur.com/1GWtVnU.png

dance with my dogs in the night time
cash to burn
The quick rooms work better for newer players as there is less drawback to losing with a shorter wait to get back into the game. The killer feature would absolutely be 3 and 4 player multiplayer support, which may unfortunately have to wait for Toribash Next. Toribash drew me in with it's absurdly steep learning curve and limitless skill ceiling, but to get the ball rolling jousting mods were very helpful as for new players it's difficult to get moving in any direction aside from straight to the floor.

I still feel rewarded as I play Toribash, but only really in how my actual skills improve.
Originally Posted by challenged View Post
The quick rooms work better for newer players as there is less drawback to losing with a shorter wait to get back into the game. The killer feature would absolutely be 3 and 4 player multiplayer support, which may unfortunately have to wait for Toribash Next. Toribash drew me in with it's absurdly steep learning curve and limitless skill ceiling, but to get the ball rolling jousting mods were very helpful as for new players it's difficult to get moving in any direction aside from straight to the floor.

I still feel rewarded as I play Toribash, but only really in how my actual skills improve.

I agree that the game itself can be rewarding. But the rewards system isn't. a good example would be the daily streaks. The counter ends at 7 so you never know how many days in a row you are really playing. there are a lot o people who just straight give up because of "it's absurdly steep learning curve." This is moreso for players who are interested to Keep playing the game, not Start playing. I totally agree with every point.
Last edited by Faux; Mar 5, 2022 at 11:04 AM.
[dog] Is and always will be my favorite clan
Hello everyone.

Now that we've gotten Season 7 out and underway, we will be starting work on other projects.

I've read all the suggestions here and everything is being considered. My question to everyone here is, do you have any other suggestions you want to see? I want this thread to be here for a while and for the community to be able to voice anything they feel the need to voice.

The quick rooms work better for newer players as there is less drawback to losing with a shorter wait to get back into the game. The killer feature would absolutely be 3 and 4 player multiplayer support, which may unfortunately have to wait for Toribash Next.

You are right, there are no plans for 3-4 player multiplayer to come to Toribash. This is a feature you can expect in TBN.

cash to burn
Read through the thread, several good ideas here;

Idea of a battlepass has been brought up and I reckon that's a great idea. Don't make it a paid thing. We're trying to keep new players around so there doesn't need to be any barrier to battlepass ownership.

Lower QI requirements on various hi qi colors. 20000 games is ridiculous. 10000 is ridiculous. 5000 is pushing it. This isn't 2008. Kids have so many games to choose from and if you tell them you gotta play an absurd amount of games just to have black colors, that's going to irk them (not motivate them). If you allow them to look the way they wanna look they'll be having more fun with the game. They'll stick around.

Player of the month. Pretty simple idea that I'm sure would motivate new people to stick around and get involved in the community. Have a rotating banner of their tori. Maybe dev up some kind of clientside representation of current player of the month [little avatar in some corner or something].
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Read through the thread, several good ideas here;

Idea of a battlepass has been brought up and I reckon that's a great idea. Don't make it a paid thing. We're trying to keep new players around so there doesn't need to be any barrier to battlepass ownership.

Lower QI requirements on various hi qi colors. 20000 games is ridiculous. 10000 is ridiculous. 5000 is pushing it. This isn't 2008. Kids have so many games to choose from and if you tell them you gotta play an absurd amount of games just to have black colors, that's going to irk them (not motivate them). If you allow them to look the way they wanna look they'll be having more fun with the game. They'll stick around.

Player of the month. Pretty simple idea that I'm sure would motivate new people to stick around and get involved in the community. Have a rotating banner of their tori. Maybe dev up some kind of clientside representation of current player of the month [little avatar in some corner or something].

great ideas, especially lowering qi restrictions. 20,000 games is a joke when (depending on mod) you can wait anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes to play ONE match in a public lobby. and if you lose, you have to do it all over again XD
it may seem ridiculous but depending on how good a battlepass is, before you know it you'll have already played 5,000 games while getting rewards.

this isnt even counting ranked games either. some of the top 10 guys in the global leaderboard have already played about 1,130 games since ranked came out and counting lol.

this is already an improvement from a couple months ago and i'm now interested to see how a battlepass would change player activity.

i think void, demon, pure, etc. should be cut back a little and onyx should remain the same.

maybe 12,000 or 13,000 games would be reasonable
Last edited by skizz; Apr 17, 2022 at 03:47 PM.
XD!
Last edited by skizz; Jun 16, 2022 at 03:37 PM. Reason: The coke wore off and I noticed I'm saying a whole bunch of nothing! Oh well, I just wanted Ancient to see it anyway.
"want to close the divide between staff and players" being said while delivering the whole post like a president just doesn't sit right with me.

Events are great but they have been going on for ages now with very little to no growth in the games player base, they target the best of the game not the majority of the player base.

Winpoint lenshu is a well designed mod however is No better than original lenshu incentivising running when when you're losing instead of winning.

In my opinion this game needs new competitive mods that still keep the integrity of the mod its replacing, lowkido is not a good replacement to abd as grappling with hand to hand grabs is what makes grappling fun and challenging lowkido you rarely get and any hand to hand grabs creating a hip / leg grabbing shovelling meta.

In my opinion this game needs a battle pass or some kind of rewards system for leveling qi is such an old and outdated system with little benefit apart from unlocking stupidly expensive items without paying real world money. Since new players don't have many options of gaining tc. Great options as previously stated: battle pass, rewards system, genuine unlocks.

In my opinion this game needs ways to teach new players. This was never an issue in the past however now toribash is 99% strong players. This makes the queue system constantly deter new players as they lose and instantly have to wait 3-10 minutes just to play again. Imagine if cod had 10 minute wait times with minute matches nobody would play it. You need single player levels of some sort ones that feel reward to complete as a new player. This will create interest and a drive to improve in the game. Some great examples could be bots at different levels in different mods, puzzles to find the correct move to win, human wall shape fit thingy, directions on how to run that points how where and how you failed.

I truely love this game and this community and I want to see it succeed but the lack of support this game is getting from all areas, communities hating eachother and staff drive due to reasons I do not know is really putting this game on a crash course to failure. We need friendly clan rivalry not mod/player hatred

Thankyou for reading my tedtalk
Sorry if this is difficult to read this was very rushed
Feel free to correct me im happy for a friendly debate

An idea that just hit me imagine lenshu with obstacles similar to ultimate tag. Even maybe touching a player while it gains you one point.

Also I may be wrong since this is nothing but an idea but if abd hand a circle dojo instead of a square one with a dq timer similar to lowkido it will make lift openers easier to counter and suplex and creating very interesting grappling
Last edited by Xydra; Jun 17, 2022 at 12:43 PM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Originally Posted by Xydra View Post
"want to close the divide between staff and players" being said while delivering the whole post like a president just doesn't sit right with me.

Events are great but they have been going on for ages now with very little to no growth in the games player base, they target the best of the game not the majority of the player base.

Winpoint lenshu is a well designed mod however is No better than original lenshu incentivising running when when you're losing instead of winning.

In my opinion this game needs new competitive mods that still keep the integrity of the mod its replacing, lowkido is not a good replacement to abd as grappling with hand to hand grabs is what makes grappling fun and challenging lowkido you rarely get and any hand to hand grabs creating a hip / leg grabbing shovelling meta.

In my opinion this game needs a battle pass or some kind of rewards system for leveling qi is such an old and outdated system with little benefit apart from unlocking stupidly expensive items without paying real world money. Since new players don't have many options of gaining tc. Great options as previously stated: battle pass, rewards system, genuine unlocks.

Thank you for this post. About a battlepass/unlock/reward system, yes, that's in the works. Expect it to be out soon. As I mentioned in the other thread about this, I believe having mods switching month-to-month or season-to-season would be a decent change for players and a chance to focus on other mods. The problem is, mods which are either suited for competitive play are unknown or there are none that would be able to compare to the main 5. Slight adjustments could be made to each mod of course, closer to how League of Legends or Valorant do it. Your idea for a tag lenshu is something that I've also had before, and I don't see why it couldn't be a thing, if other players wanted something like this or supported it. It's definitely possible. For example, for next season the first month could be Kane's lenshu, then tag lenshu, then something else. Does anyone have any ideas or anything to add regarding this?

There was a mod called spidertag.tbm I believe which was boxshu but tori always had to ''chase'' or touch uke to win. Instead, there could be a bigger box with perhaps something hanging from the ceiling which you would need to touch to win. With some adjustments, MMA mods could also perhaps be put into ranked season, boxing as well. What if similar to ninjutsu, ABD had for a month an adjustment that engageheight would be higher by like 10-20 which would give a small drop and make lifting openers not work within the first few frames making it actual grappling at the start?

Once again, I'm just spitballing but I'd love to hear the communities opinion on this.

cash to burn
:)
Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
Thank you for this post. About a battlepass/unlock/reward system, yes, that's in the works. Expect it to be out soon. As I mentioned in the other thread about this, I believe having mods switching month-to-month or season-to-season would be a decent change for players and a chance to focus on other mods. The problem is, mods which are either suited for competitive play are unknown or there are none that would be able to compare to the main 5. Slight adjustments could be made to each mod of course, closer to how League of Legends or Valorant do it. Your idea for a tag lenshu is something that I've also had before, and I don't see why it couldn't be a thing, if other players wanted something like this or supported it. It's definitely possible. For example, for next season the first month could be Kane's lenshu, then tag lenshu, then something else. Does anyone have any ideas or anything to add regarding this?

I think all these modifications to mods are great I they should be on a rotating list in a tourney server (5k for example) forcing them to be tested in a kinda competitive environment and get public feedback on each mod.) I'm sure this won't inflate tori credits either due to the amount of tc that has been sunk recently.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]