Ranking
Original Post
Knock Out mechanic
A KO feature for toribash (and toribash next) would be really interesting.

It wouldn't work for every mod, but for competitive mods such as boxingleague.tbm, s_mma_tfc2.tbm, it would change how people play in those kind of mods. A KO feature should have a damage threshold so that the player can decide how much points it requires to take down a tori temporarily or permanently. Each part of the body should have a KO damage threshold, allowing the player to decide how much force it requires to take down a tori depending on the location of the impact.

There are 2 types of Knockout types I'd like to see implemented into the next update.

The first one is the temporarily KO. If the move hits hard enough for a temporarily KO, the tori that receives the hit will be forced to relax all for a certain amount of frames (should allow the player to adjust the amount of frames the tori is unable to move). During this time, the attacker will be able to dish out as much damage before the defender is able to move again.

The second KO ends the match. It has a higher KO threshold than the first type of KO. If a move hits really hard, then the defender is knocked out permanently, ending the match and resulting in the attacker winning the round. Even if the defender has more points than the attacker, a permanent KO will not take any of that into consideration. Other moves such as slams should be able to KO a tori if done hard enough.
Last edited by Vertex; Dec 30, 2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Missed out some stuff
[insert generic quotes from certain players]
Originally Posted by Vertex View Post
A KO feature for toribash (and toribash next) would be really interesting.

It wouldn't work for every mod, but for competitive mods such as boxingleague.tbm, s_mma_tfc2.tbm, it would change how people play in those kind of mods. A KO feature should have a damage threshold so that the player can decide how much points it requires to take down a tori temporarily or permanently. Each part of the body should have a KO damage threshold, allowing the player to decide how much force it requires to take down a tori depending on the location of the impact.

There are 2 types of Knockout types I'd like to see implemented into the next update.

The first one is the temporarily KO. If the move hits hard enough for a temporarily KO, the tori that receives the hit will be forced to relax all for a certain amount of frames (should allow the player to adjust the amount of frames the tori is unable to move). During this time, the attacker will be able to dish out as much damage before the defender is able to move again.

The second KO ends the match. It has a higher KO threshold than the first type of KO. If a move hits really hard, then the defender is knocked out permanently, ending the match and resulting in the attacker winning the round. Even if the defender has more points than the attacker, a permanent KO will not take any of that into consideration. Other moves such as slams should be able to KO a tori if done hard enough.

based on the current state of tb I don't really see this as being viable since the hit detection and points system is janky af not to include that you could always just co op or edit a replay for a ko. this wouldn't really add much as matches in that mod are short enough anyway, can't really see people enjoying less than 8 seconds of replay for a 20 minute match but maybe I'm wrong. there's other ways in tb already you can add knockout mechanics anyway + this would only be a significant change for like a few mods. that being said if it can be implemented competently I have no reason to be against it, ofc as long as it's optional
Originally Posted by bouyard View Post
based on the current state of tb I don't really see this as being viable since the hit detection and points system is janky af not to include that you could always just co op or edit a replay for a ko. this wouldn't really add much as matches in that mod are short enough anyway, can't really see people enjoying less than 8 seconds of replay for a 20 minute match but maybe I'm wrong. there's other ways in tb already you can add knockout mechanics anyway + this would only be a significant change for like a few mods. that being said if it can be implemented competently I have no reason to be against it, ofc as long as it's optional

A system where KO will be decided on the amount of points you score will simply not work. This was never my proposal to begin with and many are aware how badly it would work (if you've played the game for a decent amount of time).

There have been a lot of times where I've lost the match because people have tickled me and gain a lot of points. Rotatable grips and breakable grips were added for toribash but it would destroy how people play mods if it were to be used such as aikidobigdojo.tbm. I don't see many people utilising the feature. And anyways, this feature is mainly for the realism community, those who wish to play competitively but want to win in a unique way other than scoring more points.

And if the match ending due to a permanent KO is displeasing to you, then the player should be able to turn it on or off if he wishes to.
I think it’s a high possibility in TBN if scripting is implemented but I wouldn’t expect it in Tb. I already drafted separate pseudo codes for KOs and TKOs that I want to try for TBN MMA mods
-----
What you can do in Tb is make a mod where only headstrikes score points and set a score win limit. Obviously that’s not what you’re looking for but it’s a start.
Last edited by footlox; Feb 21, 2021 at 10:51 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Leader of the Spyder House
Toribash Martial Artists
Originally Posted by footlox View Post
I think it’s a high possibility in TBN if scripting is implemented but I wouldn’t expect it in Tb. I already drafted separate pseudo codes for KOs and TKOs that I want to try for TBN MMA mods
-----
What you can do in Tb is make a mod where only headstrikes score points and set a score win limit. Obviously that’s not what you’re looking for but it’s a start.

I mean what's the harm of implementing this feature in both games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯