Ranking
Original Post
Advanced fighting style option
So I was in a betting server just sitting back and admiring all the bets, even betting some Tc a little, then an idea came to me while someone made an outstanding save, what if toribash had more movement options. Then here came the idea, Toribash could have traits for each movement option, such as the following;
Strong Extend/Contract
Slowly Extend/Contract

Fast Raise/Lower
Slow Raise/Lower

There should also be an check box in the option/settings to toggle this on and off, preferably wanted to be called "Advanced fighting style".

All of these movements are self explanitory and if the scripters want to create it then they can interperate it how ever they want to. So what did you think of this idea?
Last edited by Lazors; Sep 25, 2015 at 09:02 AM.
I really like the idea, I know that I've seen more than a few opportunities where I could have used this. I'm not sure about aikido, but this would be a huge help in striking mods (especially rk-mma, for me. Damn those longer turnframes!). I'm not sure I would want to see a stronger joint state than we already have, however. I think what we have currently is strong enough, and we'd have to redo dm thresholds on a ton of mods (while not a huge undertaking, you should see the point I just feebly attempted to make). Most concerns I can see with this are probably: "What happens with controls," and "How will this affect the game." Both seem... well, like really easy things to work with.

For the latter, set so called "Strong Extend/Contract/Raise/Lower/Rotate" to the same strength as what we currently have with simple Extend/Contract/Raise/Lower/Rotate, and then make the "Weak Extend/Contract/(not typing that all out again) a fraction of that. It doesn't mess with replays or current gameplay (assuming it is actually toggleable).

For controls, that whole zxcvbn thing would work for those who use keyboard, and could we maybe set the scroll wheel commands so that a single scroll would "Weak Extend" the joint and a second would set the joint to "Strong Extend?" Seems easy enough to me, as someone that does use the scroll wheel.
Would this be a thing in Multiplayer too? If so, why the hell would you
want to raise, lower, contract or extend something slowly?
Originally Posted by Hypersaint View Post
Would this be a thing in Multiplayer too?

i believe that's the main purpose, seeing as, like i said before, this can be done easily in singleplayer.

as for mp, i can see how it can be used, but this is unnecessary and it also changes the game. i like change, but toribash is great the way it is, leave it be
It all boils down to whether people will actually use it or not. Striking mods may greatly benefit from it, but on the other hand the regulars will probably want to play the game like they've always done. People are incredibly close-minded about this stuff.

"Toribash is great as it is" is an awful argument. It wasn't great a few years ago and saying it's perfect now is an argument that could apply just as well to the first version of the game. The current version still has great flaws and glitches.
You could argue that the joint states are fine the way they are, but not without backing up that statement.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
This is interesting, but, honestly, if you incorporate ALL of your joints, you can make it so they move at different speeds.

I'd like to see this "test run" thing.
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
"Toribash is great as it is" is an awful argument. It wasn't great a few years ago and saying it's perfect now is an argument that could apply just as well to the first version of the game.

Specific to this suggestion, there's nothing wrong with saying Toribash is fine the way it is. I'm sure those who say that aren't referring to every aspect of the game, but to the actual idea being suggested. It's a valid argument to suggest no change rather than change, and there's no need to look for improvements where people feel they're not due.

Originally Posted by Lazors
The current version still has great flaws and glitches.
You could argue that the joint states are fine the way they are, but not without backing up that statement.

Examples of these flaws/glitches? Not sure what you mean. This idea doesn't address or remedy any such glitches anyway, it adds another layer to Toribash's mechanics. The learning curve of the game has to be taken account for, and also the potential intricacies that may follow with the addition of so many new options. Yes, striking mods may benefit from this somewhat, but to what extent, and would this be worth the risk of losing players/potential players?
Last edited by firebolty; Sep 28, 2015 at 03:51 AM.
BAD LUCK
You won't lose anyone when the option for advanced style is a checkbox in the game rules menu. That's what I ment by test run. If it turns out that people prefer to play on servers with advanced style activated then servers could be made to accommodate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[VIBE] 2015~2016 | Team Pokemon | [Origin] 2014~2015 | Team Aikido | [Obey] ~Because Frost Said So...
Originally Posted by firebolty View Post
Specific to this suggestion, there's nothing wrong with saying Toribash is fine the way it is. I'm sure those who say that aren't referring to every aspect of the game, but to the actual idea being suggested. It's a valid argument to suggest no change rather than change, and there's no need to look for improvements where people feel they're not due.

"If this would be implemented, people would have an easier time in striking mods because of the high turnframes".
"Yeah but toribash is fine as it is, let it be".
Hopefully you can see how this post fails to add to the discussion. If someone argues that it will be useful, you'll have to somehow disprove it.

Examples of these flaws/glitches? Not sure what you mean. This idea doesn't address or remedy any such glitches anyway, it adds another layer to Toribash's mechanics.

Yeah you're right, it's irrelevant. My point was that there's always improvements to be made. I won't start listing examples because there's no point in derailing the thread.

The learning curve of the game has to be taken account for, and also the potential intricacies that may follow with the addition of so many new options.

Yes, this is probably not a good idea to show to new players, and it will also mess with the controls. A simple way to deal with both problems is a checkbox in the client options. (NOT the server options)
The more you dabble in the game, the more likely you are to find it. It's also a simple way to switch it off if you don't want to use it.
This suggestion might benefit a really small amount of players, fair enough, but it also seems easy to implement. Worst case scenario is it gets left out in future versions. Will probably mess with replays but what the heck.

You won't lose anyone when the option for advanced style is a checkbox in the game rules menu. That's what I ment by test run. If it turns out that people prefer to play on servers with advanced style activated then servers could be made to accommodate.

Yes, striking mods may benefit from this somewhat, but to what extent, and would this be worth the risk of losing players/potential players?

Yes, toribash players are known for hating changes and you can expect a shitstorm whenever you suggest something that even brushes on changing the game. But you're both overestimating how big of a change this will be. There's nothing to fear from your opponent having the ability to move his joints a little slower than usual. Most people won't even notice.
People who don't want to play with this feature will leave it off. People who do won't really have an unfair advantage. That's like saying tablet osu players have an advantage over mouse players
Last edited by Lazors; Sep 28, 2015 at 06:35 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Advanced players will be able to tell you that this is already possible. Slow/fast movements are just accomplished with indirect joint movements.
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Advanced players will be able to tell you that this is already possible. Slow/fast movements are just accomplished with indirect joint movements.

Yes, Galaxy said this already. What's the harm in making it easier, though? Wouldn't it logically make more options available faster for the player?