ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Fix the Points System
The current point system almost seems random, and often rewards you with more points for just grinding your hand on someone's head than it does for landing an actual strike. A small point threshold can improve things a bit, but it still doesn't stop the problem unless you put it so high you need a ridiculously powerful strike to score. It does usually work okay for mods like aikido, but in realtoriboxing, MAS and sparring mods it can be a real problem when clinching and grappling gives huge amounts of points to both players and luck with these points can allow you to win despite your opponent landing more strikes.

I think a reworked point system for toribash next would be really nice, but, as a temporary solution there are a few things I believe could help with this. First is allowing modders to choose which body parts can actually score points. If scoring was limited to hands, feet, shins, elbows and knees for example, this would lower the amount of joints scoring points on each other and at least partially solve the problem. If you could go into more detail and even limit which joints a body part could score on, this would also open up more options such as a Taekwondo mod where you can score with punches to the torso only, but kicks to both the torso and head could score.

Another option would be to allow modders to limit how often you can score with one bodypart, or require the body part to break contact before scoring again. If, for example, you you could only score every 10 frames with one hand, you would probably still get some points from grabbing someone's head, but only once every 10 frames rather than every frame, and this would help to keep the points from clinching down a bit. Requiring the hand to break contact before scoring again would be even better if it's possible to add that feature to this game.

Obviously all of these temporary solutions that I suggested should be optional, and they wouldn't have to affect the main mods, but it would really help for people who play sparring, MAS and other types of mods that are affected by this issue.
Originally Posted by HAWK152 View Post
Another option would be to allow modders to limit how often you can score with one bodypart, or require the body part to break contact before scoring again. If, for example, you you could only score every 10 frames with one hand, you would probably still get some points from grabbing someone's head, but only once every 10 frames rather than every frame, and this would help to keep the points from clinching down a bit. Requiring the hand to break contact before scoring again would be even better if it's possible to add that feature to this game.

functionally already exists

there's a lot of stuff modmakers can and have done to make the points system much more satisfying in tons of mods -- the community just never plays those. if you were to do some looking, you may very likely find a point fixed version of mods you play
I didn't realise that, but that's good to know, thanks. Could you please explain how you do it?
Last edited by HAWK152; Jun 26, 2019 at 05:48 AM.