Toribash
Original Post
Aikido Tips
Introduction
Hello fellow clan members, and anyone else who may be reading this! In this thread, I will be giving my aikido tips (NOT MOVES) so that you may feel good about entering aikido servers.

Starting moves
As I said in the introduction, I'm not going to be giving moves. You will become a much more skilled aikido player if you develop your own moves. However, I will supply the information you need to make your own moves.

Things to consider
Your starting move should NOT take your feet off the floor, or put them in a position that the opponent could make them leave the floor. Instead, you should maneuver your body sideways, with your arm hanging out to "swipe them off their feet". The common mistake I see in almost every aikido player is just trying to grapple the opponent and force them to the ground. Maybe in real life. But while you have perfectly equal strength as your opponent in Toribash, you have to use leverage, momentum and wits to force them to the ground.

The next thing you must consider is the fluidness.

Fluidness is everything in aikido. Think of fluidness as rhythm. In a fight, you want to keep the rhythm to dominate the fight. If someone is throwing a punch from the side, move into it to take their momentum away and gain control of the fight.
Considering this, you should have your starting move into a position that you can move into their attack without throwing yourself off.

Keep off your toes
In aikido never extend your ankles. It gives your opponent a chance to take you off your feet. "So what?" I'm guess you're saying. I'll tell you what. As soon as your feet leave the ground, you give our opponent the chance to throw, DQ or pulverize you. Therefor, do not extend your ankles.

Mid-Game
As you progress through the match, you can't survive on just the tips in the "Starting Moves" section. This will tell you how you should continue throughout the match.

Things to Consider

Fluidness
Yes, again. So it must be important, right?
Stay fluid! If your opponent is punching you from the right, let him. Move with the punch to minimize damage, and reverse positions. The opponent's footwork will be unsteady, giving you a moment to gain the upper-hand.

Momentum
Although this is closely related to fluidness, there is still a brief paragraph about momentum that must be told.

Keep momentum. Do not continuously pummel the opponent, that gives the opponent a chance to use the momentum against you. Instead, wait for their attack and reverse (learn later in post) to use the force against them.

If an enemy is forcing you to the ground from an angle, spin with the force they are using against you to turn them underside and have them DQ. Do not think that your tori has the strength to get you out of this situation(Some situations may require you to try and push them off with pure str), both toris have equal strength.

Ending the game
Put everything you've done so far in the match, and end it.

Reversal
Reversal is quite simple, considering you understood the momentum paragraph.
As an attack is hurtling after you, take it in while moving along with the attack. Use your other arm to grab hold of the opponent's side that isn't attacking you, and let momentum to the rest. When done successfully, you will have switched positions and your opponent will have lost their footing (although it is possible to regain their footing before you can retaliate).

Work in progress.
(Not finished)
Last edited by alert242; Dec 13, 2010 at 02:35 AM.
Well umm......add more details and you'll be fine

Imma make a tip thread myself
-----
Nevermind, I WILL make a thread, etc
Last edited by TheSamurai0926; Dec 13, 2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Good tutorial. This should be helpful to players that are having a hard time playing in Aikido. However, if I were to be a beginner and read this, I could have a hard time getting the tips into action. So I suggest posting some example replays in order to show the beginner how a certain tip is correctly executed. 1-3 replays would do.
GMT +8:00