Ranking
Original Post
How to stand up?
How do I stand up and beat pros like Isha

This is the ANCIENTS forum, please get out you Starwars fanboys! This is vebs' little tutorial thread. ~
don't unban, he has hard coded userid bypasses everywhere.
Depends which mode, i suggest face palming him. XD
Jarmund>{#toribash} Dr-Meanster: finish your sentences before pressing enter.
Face palming? Tell.

One thing I have learned, that for some players relax does not do well. However, if you do a certain style of move while relaxed, you can win. But the move requires complex stuff. And I can't be bothered thinking about complex things.

One thing I've always learned is to not grip if I am loosing. If i'm winning, grip. The rule works well.
For pro games i suggest playing defensively or figuring a way to block or counter their attacks. In judo try and get a little distance from the the player at the start and maybe spin them out. KB i always steal the legs, its kinda cheap but works and in wushu you can always stand still for one turn.

The face palming thing was a joke... But in all serious maybe you need to suggest which modes you really wanna get better at? Ive also learned that moving the wrists can be a decisive point. Someone was telling me once if they contracted their wrist they woulda decaped me, stuff like that. Best thing to do is also try some moves in single player this works well in wushu. So you dont look to much of a fool playing in mplayer.
Jarmund>{#toribash} Dr-Meanster: finish your sentences before pressing enter.
I'm more of a crazy Judo player myself.
Judo:

1: If a joint has been damaged (hit before in the fight), try to keep it limp as much as you can afford. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a limb fly off just from it being swung around because the joint had been weakened from previous damage. This is very important if it still has the red color from the battle damage in it.

2: Limp your wrists first turn unless your opener depends on it. This will save you from a fair amount of wrist-release openers. Also try to not extend or contract your wrists when you are going to land on your hand. I usually just hold them or keep them limp if they are in a favorable position. If you lose that hand, you dq == not win. Which brings me to another point...

3: Limp > Held > Force as far as breakability strength goes. If you see a joint thats going to take a serious hit next turn, limp it. 90% of the time it will save you from the DM. If its targeting a bigger area, limp the whole area. Also, if its targeting the end of a limb, try to limp or set to hold as much of that limb as you can. You may have to set a more defensive turn, but if they were swinging with enough force to dm, chances are that they will not be in a good place to strike next turn. This is where your opening is.

4: Balance defense and offense. Don't spend the first turn just blocking or just attacking. Make sure your opener will leave you in a good spot on the second turn so you dont get clobbered. At the same time though, you want to try to get that first DM in.

5: Time your DMs. If you can, try to dismember the other players joints at the start of a turn. This will make them waste a whole turn and get them closer to the ground or situated a way they dont want to be.

6: When the opponent is low, make sacrifices to get a fast DM in. Take a risk and go all out into one hit to try to get a break in. If you get a break in early enough in the turn, chances are that they will DQ.

7: Aim for areas that will assure a dq. Splitting a torso is great and all, but I have seen people jump and flip their legs for ~500 turns, while mangling the other player with their upper half, winning the battle. If it had just been from the shin down, it would have ended much, much sooner. If you want glory, go for big splits. Want to win? Aim for smaller parts.

8: Most know this but... ungrab if you are ahead in points. Hit and run is a lame tactic, but it is a tactic that gives you a win most of the time, unless they are skilled enough to get back over to you. Most players are not, and even then it takes a small amount of luck to get lined up right.

9: Let go if you need more wrist strength, and the other guy is grabbing you. This can be a bit risky if you are behind in points.

10: DONT dance unless you are just having fun and not concerned about winning. If the scores are only a few thousand apart, the other person might accidentaly do some self-damage and hand you the round.

11: Try to move your vital bits out of their initial postion when making an opener. This includes shoulders, pecs, lumbar, hips, knees, and neck. Most people make their openers against immobile uke, and then test agains different openers after. Chances are that if a person is using an opener in judo, it will dismember a certain held or forced joint if it is not moved out of the way.

I'll edit this if I think of any more.
Last edited by NewbLuck; Dec 1, 2007 at 02:30 AM.
 ____  _____  __  __  _  _  ___  _  _ 
(  _ \(  _  )(  )(  )( \( )/ __)( \/ )
 ) _ < )(_)(  )(__)(  )  (( (__  \  / 
(____/(_____)(______)(_)\_)\___) (__) 
Nice big post NewB! Some interesting facts in there... but shame, I already know most of those. Probably because I've been around for a long time! :P

One of the most annoying things ever is that most common Judo move that people do. The contract pecs, chest and abs then the hips etc. I've found a few counters to this move... but they're complex and normally you never get enough time to actually finnish it. I know you're going to say: "Use mah seekrit script" but I say stfu :P

I disagree about the dancing thing though. Dancing is an art in itself... a good fighter ought to be able to dance and NOT cause self-damage. I can do it fine. Thing is, if I do the hit and run, then dance... even if I have lower points, the other guy always normally tries to do something and does self-damage and gives me the round. :P

Letting go in mid-air when you've been gripped can be disasterous... like, how do you know the other player hasn't done a nice spin move? My secret for this is usually to relax all and then ungrip. More often than not, I'm in the posistion to use momentum and kick the hell out of them (or punch).

Even sometimes after the opener move, I just go relax all for the heck of it, see what posistion I end up in and fight from there. Many times, it does win.

I agree with the "protect" vital bits part. BUT It's annoying, I want to use other moves that require my vital parts exposed.
I may or may not be making a mistake, but I'll be honest here, I fight like an idiot. I have some basic tactics, and I'll honestly just share them here.

1. Hit with one leg, and opposite arm. Best way to get the most velocity is to put ALL your joints into it, so if you twist your whole body one way, you can reverse it and re-reverse it time after time, causing huge amounts of damage every reversal.

2. If my elbows or knees aren't doing something important, I limp them. You can get extra power in a kick or punch if your limb can extend a bit, so why not give yourself the opportunity?

3. Spend the first turn completely defensively, and with legs and abs limped. Set hands to grab, pull elbows in, you'll almost definitely make contact with SOMETHING. Then you can use your bent legs to jump, kick, jumpkick, or even drop further, if you can afford it.

4. Spend the first turn setting up an attack, and the second executing it. This one's a bit more risky, but MUCH more favorable if you can make it work. This is the only way I can pull off my Backflip Slam.

5. Learn the physics of Toribash, and use that and the moves your enemy is most likely to use next in order to plan a move to counter it. This is the reason I'm as good as I am. I can see that my opponent will try to use a limb to grab, or to land on, and I know exactly how they'll try to do it. It's much easier to gently slide them out of place, so their turn is wasted, or perhaps even DQs them. Of course, sometimes you will be wrong, and YOUR turn will end up possibly DQing you instead.

6. Break yourself on them, but only favorably. Make sure anything you're still hitting them with is NOT going to break off and drop to the floor. Instead, set your hand to grab before it should break off, make sure your legs are moving upwards, anything to buy you more time. If you know your leg is forfeit, make sure it's going to take forever to get back to the ground.

7. Most importantly, remember to twist. If your chest goes right, your legs go left and your arms go right. That means that when you make your chest go left again, your arms go left, twice as far, and your legs go right, twice as far. I've won matches by simply twisting over and over again, pummeling them until they didn't have enough parts left to avoid DQ.

Anyway, that's my advice. Hope it helps some, although there's nothing in there about standing up.
I would actually recommend against that if it's too predictable and they could shift in some way to fuck it up :P