Ranking
Hello again

Originally Posted by Dare View Post
Interesting, I did not know the police officer have that right with speeding 0_0

But previously when I mean speeding analogy with black lives matter, I'm connecting them due to the fact that when a police officer does something (like speeding or in this case harm to a civilian), nothing happens or nothing usually can be done at that moment in time because the cop thinks he/she is doing the right thing. To civilians it's hard to counter-argue against police officers because many of them think "what's the point, the police can make up some bs and ticket/arrest you or not even listen to you at all. Then it turns into a hassle, of going to court, etc.".

So I think personally there's this massive pre-emptive view that complaining about the Police will get you nowhere. We worry at every job we go to about complaints, as it's the fastest way out of your job, and you can get them for doing what you think is the right thing at the time.
I get that some Police may 'shoo you away' because we aren't really used to people helping out, they are normally just gathering around to get in the way or to cause a scene. What you think is right may be completely different to what that Police officer thinks is right- and usually we come with the training and experience to back it up. That's not intended to be cocky, but if a electrician (for example) went up to a doctor and told him he is treating that patient wrong, he would probably also tell you to go away, however right you thought you were.
Part of it as well, at least in my view, is that in the Police, you have to make many fast time decisions that could ultimately end in things going seriously wrong. What is even worse though, is when you don't make a decision at all- you will not even make it through training. The job is about believing in yourself, because if you don't believe in what you are doing, then everyone around you won't believe in you either. That air of confidence is critical to the job which is likely why it is so prevalent.

Now, this is where the issue of the training comes in and as you said it's "crammed and you learn on the job" and as a result I'm sure many police officers try to make there life easier or learn "wrong" during the job to a point they're unethical. To an extent this could be true for some police officers. But dont get me wrong, there are many great cops out there.

So, theres two categories for people who stretch the boundaries of the job. You have the people that do it to 'make their life easier' and you have the people that do it, as it is equally effective whilst still allowing you to get on to the next job, where someone elses life is at risk. The people who do it to make their life easier very quikcly go amuck.
I admit, on shift, I shortcut many things- the biggest one being a thing called 'Officer Discretion'. In short, if a crime is reported to a police officer in person, and they don't deem it necessary to be raised, it won't be raised. Seldom do we really get to do this anymore, but at the end of the day it's still a shortcut. The only time we will never ever ever shortcut is with safeguarding.

In my opinion the police force is necessary for the stability of society, however the current system is very flawed and needs changes.

One more question, been always curious about this. Does a cop need to meet a certain quota each month or year? Like giving a certain amount fo tickets or reaching a certain total value of tickets given.
I can't speak for the entire UK, as I can't with most things, but in our jurisdication- no, definititively 100% no, nada, never. I can't think of anything more corrupt and wrong.

Originally Posted by iTemp View Post
As a cop and a kid comes up to u and asks you to help him tie his shoe would u do it
If I was granted the time to stand around and do nothing, then most likely yes
what about walking a granny across the street
Most likely yes
and the most important question of them all how much time do you spend on toribash playing
Not a lot at all anymore unfortunately, I don't get a huge amount of freetime for gaming anymore

Originally Posted by Shmevin View Post
Thank you for your service. o7
Thanks man

Originally Posted by fudgiebalz View Post
i'll ask the basic bitch questions

- weirdest call you've answered?
[REDACTED] Sorry
- any repeat 'customer' stories?
You'd be scarily surprised how many of our customers are repeat.

Originally Posted by Creati0n View Post
Removed a couple low quality posts and placed some infractions. I really do think this is an interesting topic, and I love to see some awesome questions and answers flowing through here.

@trollers: don’t shitpost, just this once.

May come back to make a couple questions of my own later. Cool thread.

Thanks for the help and support!

Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Have you ever been in a gunfight?
Not thus far, we're normally pretty clued up on it, and there isn't a huge firearm supply in our area. Generally we'll know and firearms trained officers will attend instead.

Answers in bold text inside their respective quotes as above
Last edited by QuestionTime; Sep 25, 2020 at 01:44 PM.