Toribash
Original Post
Martial Arts/Fighting chat
As orgs died I figured this would be the best place to post this.
I've opened this thread to people who does/did martial arts or like watching/talking about them.

I've been doing kickboxing since around august 2019 and just got my yellow belt, couldn't be happier about it, but I still have a long way to go.
So, does anyone else fights irl?
retired replaymaker | discord: victortb#9592
Yellow belt in what??

I grew up doing karate when I was aged like 8-12 and then started Muay Thai when I was about 17 and have been doing it on and off ever since (22 now) I have been going most weeks for about 2 years now and I love it. How often do you train?
I apologise for this post.
Yellow belt in kickboxing. I heard that kickboxing is similar to muay thay in some aspects(jab, direct, circular kick, frontal kick & a few other things).

I do kickboxing twice a week, but sometimes I play light fight with some friends.

About karate, I've been wanting to do it for a while now, as I just figured it has disarming techniques and it could be really useful in some situations.
Originally Posted by victortb View Post
About karate, I've been wanting to do it for a while now, as I just figured it has disarming techniques and it could be really useful in some situations.

I would go as far as to say that the only karate worth training is kyokushin karate. We've had arrogant cunts with supposedly high belts from shotokan karate train with us back home in our kyokushin gym and they couldn't fight for shit. All these whack ass, point-based karate styles fall flat on the street too.
Originally Posted by hipotibor View Post
I would go as far as to say that the only karate worth training is kyokushin karate. We've had arrogant cunts with supposedly high belts from shotokan karate train with us back home in our kyokushin gym and they couldn't fight for shit. All these whack ass, point-based karate styles fall flat on the street too.

I was a blackbelt in Shotokan karate before I started kickboxing when I was 14. I had got silver in 2 national champs in Shotokan by that point and every single person in that kickboxing club beat the crap out of me. I think it genuinely hindered my ability to fight, I probably would have lost to an average untrained guy my size. Never looked back when I started kickboxing, every now and then we would get some cocky people coming in (mainly from taekwondo) and have similar experiences.

Traditional martial arts have mostly been proven ineffective, previously protected by tradition and the lack of information we have now. The uptake of MMA has definitely contributed to that in a big way. I think the only traditional martial arts that hold any water nowadays are grappling-based ones like BJJ and judo.
one time i had a hair deep in my urethra and when i pulled it out it felt kinda good ~fudgiebalz 2020

<~Skul> they're not children, they're demon midgets
<~Skul> if you kill one in front of the rest, they'll scatter and leave
Yea karate is pretty pointless, I found that at a young age it gave me good body awareness and balance and things like how to fall well (good for rugby) but other than that it wasn't very helpful

Yea I agree with moop, bjj and judo.
Edit: actually wingchung (cbf looking up spelling) which my brother does as a security guard is quite useful out of the gym
I apologise for this post.
Originally Posted by hipotibor View Post
Daily reminder that GSP and Bas Rutten have kyokushin backgrounds.

Pretty much all fighters of previous generations had some kind of background in traditional martial arts. MMA wasn't a thing and most people weren't so aware of the superiority of fighting sports (i.e. boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, wrestling etc) over martial arts. Heck, Chuck Liddell had a background in kenpo and Anderson Silva starting off in taekwondo and capoeira.
one time i had a hair deep in my urethra and when i pulled it out it felt kinda good ~fudgiebalz 2020

<~Skul> they're not children, they're demon midgets
<~Skul> if you kill one in front of the rest, they'll scatter and leave
Sick stuff, Jobo. Y'all tough.

So, why is shotokan karate so bad compared to kyokshin?