matchmaking brainstorming
okay here goes matchmaking system i came up with just because why the fuck not

matchmaking table, which is used to find apropriate matches

id | playerStatus | nick | ELO_player | time
1 | LookingFor | rapist | 1605 | 13:58
2 | LookingFor | child | 1600 | 14:00
3 | Ranking | scrub | 1650 | 13:58
4 | Finished | noob | 1500 | 14:00

"there could just be an option to matchmake and an option to go to server browser. This way, the tourneys can still exist and be ranked. All matchmaking will be executed in official competitive mods that can be chosen as a filter."(c) Bercat

how? by adding new column with mod player selected and adding one more filter for mod selected

anyway table explanation:

playerStatus is a value that dictates the state of player, if he is looking for match or not
can be 3 values:
LookingFor - means player is looking for match
Ranking - means player is playing ranked match
Finished - means player finished his match or his search for match

this thing is called fl0w chart

okay, so whats going on here?

1) player click multiplayer, he is given option to go ranked or not. if he goes unranked he goes to server browser and just plays as usual
2) player select to play ranked, matchmaking is initialized
3) checking if the player have an entry in matchmaking table ( played ranked match before ) if he didn't, new entry created and neutral ELO is set, if entry exist, continue
4) playerStatus in player's matchmaking entry is changed to LookingFor, ELO_player is retrieved from database and added to entry, current timestamp added
5) checking entries in matchmaking table if there are other players LookingFor, if not found, ask to cancel search, change playerStatus to Finished to exclude his entry from search, if not, wait and check again
6) if players are found, compare ELO, by making and interval of ELO_player +/- 10, filter entries in matchmaking table that fit the interval, if not found, return to cycle and add +/-10 more, each time untill opponents are found
7) from players found select the one with oldest timestamp why? the key priority is speed of matchmaking, therefor it's a deciding criteria
8.) set both players playerStatus to Ranking to exclude their entries from search
9) actual gameplay, can be first to 3 session or just one game, after match is resolved, update each players ELO_player and set their playerStatus to Finished
10) start looking for another opponent
Last edited by snake; Aug 6, 2015 at 02:25 AM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
I tend to agree more with cowmeat here.

imo for striking mods, similar to deprav's strikingreborn mods. it is essential to have a mod in each gravity. in -9.82,-20,-30

so wushu/rk-mma/lenshu3ng

wushu3dome(i can further explain if needed) imo is as close as you'll get for competitive wushu, but i agree hax, each part of the wushu community wants something now. we have to choose something and just stick with it.

rk/lenshu are competitive already

just one important point for striking mods is that i believe improvement and change should always be taken into consideration. a modified pointing system, and possible soft flags will even make everything better. for now these mods are good though.

you know what i don't get is though..you see a million of ideas about striking mods, and striking players suggesting stuff..i have yet to see one useful shit from judofrac/aikido/tk players. stale as hell...
Your messed up world enthrills me
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Lenshu3ng or RK-MMA needs to be one in my opinion. Extremely balanced, players know it, the mod is competed in often.

some variation of rk-mma for sure, good middle ground

Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
As for an aikido mod, I think ABD is the best choice for this particular system. The meta for competitive aikido and greykido are shovels which is a bad habit to teach players. Almost every clan has players warring in ABD. I get that people find this mod really unhealthy, seeing as some try to point hold after getting one hit, and some play simply to get a DM. Thing is this is a mod most people play, have warred in, and can understand. It would be a gigantic chore to convince all of Toribash to play a modified aikido that disallowed things like hip grabs.

if we had breakable grabs there would not be a need to make some parts ungrabable, as it's not the solution and it can be abuseable, my point is very simple:

striking mods meta should be about striking your opponent, and not grabbing him
grappling mods should be about dq your opponent, and not striking him
kicking mods - i have no idea, so whatever guys who play it decide

the problem of abd is that meta is really fucked up, and at this point a complete mess, with dms, scores and lot's other shit which makes it way too crumbled
thats why something like spiritwrestling should be used, as it's the mod all about grappling and dq your opponent, in or out of the dojo.
you can't win by hurting him directly, you need to pin him down on dojo.

this is the purest grappling mod tb have, and it have great skill cap, it only require wrists dq and no ankles dq from pure mechanics point of view,
to make sure there will be no tripoding, unlike to what you get in siku's mod with simple sumo 1, even if he claims it to be authentic,

you don't convince people, you come up with mod, test in extensively to make sure there are no major flaws you may have missed and you show it.
people will never be convinced to try something else if all the do is play one and the same mod and only good at it.

i believe we should make another thread and discuss in details "cumpetative" mods there

currently we all agreed on:

rk-mma (may be some slight variation)

erthtk (since tk players say it's good, and most of us trust them in this)
Last edited by snake; Aug 14, 2015 at 07:33 PM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
I would like to say that I would use this, not just ignore it. Using a matchmaking system like this will reduce frustration, increase player skill, and make the matches more fun.

It's hard to learn playing against far better/worse players.
It's becomes dull playing against far worse players and frustrating playing against far better players.
Matches with = skill levels create a situation for max potential fun.

And I have no problem with abd.

Just my 2 cents
Last edited by NUMP; Aug 20, 2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: was'nt finished and i like abd