Ranking
Original Post
Appeal to the web design team: make the forum interface not fucking stupid
hi toribash staff. this is an issue that has bothered me for a long time. any post with less than 2 full paragraphs leaves a huge amount of empty space for literally no reason. even with signatures and avatars off, i can only see about 3 to 4 posts on the page at once.

why?
this next image was all I could fit into 1 visible space and none of the posts had even extended the box at all. this is the MINIMUM SIZE for posts.

what the fuck

here. for reference, lets see the post size of some other popular bulletin boards and social media.

Reddit:

here you can see multiple posts.

wait a sec. those reddit posts are pretty dang small! let's see how many we can fit in one Toribash post.

gif

three posts! goodness gracious

>>but boStaff, Reddit isn't a bulletin board! toribash doesn't have nested replies; that's an unfair comparison!

that's a fair point. why don't we look at a more traditional bulletin board without any sort of default nesting.

4chan:

Bear with me; I know 4chan isn't a shining example of a functioning community, but its design is brilliant and fundamentally compact. look at those teeny tiny posts! wowie zowie!!

>>B-b-but boStaff, 4chan doesn't have avatars and signatures!! That must be the reason posts on Toribash are so bloated, right??

well, first off, all the toribash examples I've posted are with avatars and signatures disabled. how interesting

but you're right -- the posts are EVEN FUCKING BIGGER with avatars and signatures enabled.

i wonder why the toribash posts are the only ones i have to spoil....hmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Wow, glad i had all that blank space for that 2-sentence shitpost. how practical! wait no

Here's what it would look like if the post was resized proportional to the amount of content.

you could probably optimize space even further, but you get the point.

lets see how many we can fit in the original, unaltered post!

that's almost 2!

now how many can fit in a full page?

kinda big

wow. instead of the 3 original posts that I showed in that section of my screen, it totals to about 5.2. my monitor is pretty low-res too (1280x1024). keep in mind that the original picture had NO avatars and NO signatures, yet the edited version has both.
This is also keeping all the user information intact, too. belt rank, join date, report button, whatever. if users didnt feel the need to be special snowflakes then we could make the posts even smaller, but I can only argue so much.

I understand that this specific method would be awkward with larger avatars. maybe you could have the avatar on one side of the post and the information on the other or something. i'm not a web or graphic designer. these ideas aren't perfect. that's why YOU are the staff and I'm not. but that does not discount my suggestion; it is in no objective way a negative change and can only help the quality of the board. as far as I'm aware, it should be easy to do, too. my suggestion isn't a complete overhaul of the interface, it's just a minor change in the usage of screen space.

get on this please, devs. i guarantee none of you want to have an inefficient or impractical looking board. bostaff out
Last edited by boStaff; Nov 16, 2015 at 06:57 AM.
shmevin eats smegma
im sorry that u have to scroll down more
but seriously this seems like a lot of work for something that isnt really important, like tuna mentioned having a few empty gaps here and there isn't wasting anything. Even if you're on your mobile phone without being connected to wifi the extra bits wont affect your browsing experience at all in fact the only thing that might be slow at loading is avatars which can be toggled on most mobile phones and some browsers.

if you want this place to be/ look like reddit then make an r/toribash subreddit.
not supported :/
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18
/r/Toribash
There is already a reddit for toribash, but no one uses it because guess what, this forum works-To the most part-.
Aimlessly swimming in circumcisions
Of all things... you want to complain about the size of the posts?

-_-
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
Sorry, is my dissatisfaction with the mediocrity of the forum's layout too much for you?
shmevin eats smegma
Originally Posted by boStaff View Post
Sorry, is my dissatisfaction with the mediocrity of the forum's layout too much for you?

It's not too much, it's just too much of a useless suggestion for us to take it seriously, the forum works, In my opinion it looks pretty good, although there are some things that could get polished up. but really, explain why it is "fucking stupid" if you want to make a suggestion to us maybe don't make a "fucking stupid" title ._. Also, you would be much more dissatisfied about the forums when it starts to break because of a dumb new post layout that will probably in all honesty look terrible and break more then what it would fix.
I'm sorry, this suggestion is dumb and will probably never be fulfilled for the over all negative effects it would have.

I'm just responding to your edgy reply with an edgy reply... also there is no such thing as a web design team in toribash.
The main points.
  • The current postbit works and is clean, thus easy to understand and work with.
  • This would make a lot more issues for us to fix, thus making our lives harder.

Now to reply to what some people have said on the matter:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
So you like a clutter fuck of things smushed togeather? Great for you. Toribash has been functioning off of the current layout for quite some time now. Who are you to come in here and say it's fucking stupid?

I wish I could use this layout for every one of my forums I make and use, honest. It's a preference thing and changing it now might make a lot of people upset because most of us are accustomed to it.

To me, the way the forums are, act like a button layout on a controller.

Idk though, people might disagree, but whatevs.

What Link said, although he could have sentenced it better. The changes this would make in the forum would be way to drastic and would confuse and upset more people then the people with small screens that it would benefit.

Explain what you mean. how is removing useless space a "clutter fuck"? when you read a book, do you prefer 3 inches of blank space around the text on all sides?

It's always been this way, so it must be the best way!

also, i guess you havent been on the forums long enough, but when I joined the forum changed themes all the time and did for many years. only a few years ago did they settle on this one. not that it's ever not been a bloated mess of course

The forums are not a book, would you like to have a conversation in the same format as a book? Get real. for example this conversation would be even harder to read then it already is. also the forums is not a tradition, we are not talking about a tradition either, the topic at hand is will it be useful? What will it change and how will it change those things.
And as I have already said, it ill change things mostly to the worse. Some times it is good to go against the common practice, but this is not one of those cases.

Originally Posted by GoodBox View Post
Eh, you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist in my opinion. Getting rid of white space is nice and all. But its not like these forums are active enough for that to matter in the first place. Can't think of the last time I thought "Wow, I wish these posts were smaller so it'd be easier to skim through all the new posts in this thread."

Oddly enough, this thread itself would already look pretty funky with the setup you recommend. Particularly with Link who's a VIP with the large avatar and whatnot.

But that's an aside really. Toribash doesn't have the millions of daily users boards like 4chan and Reddit do. Giving the forums a layout designed to support millions when it only services a few hundred at any given time would just make it seem more dead than they already is.

This post covers some good points, it highlights the issues with VIP users/People that have bought user customisations, although that could easily be fixed, either by having all avatars resize to default size or just not displaying them at all.

Originally Posted by Link View Post
A clutter fuck is when a lot of things are smushed together.

Seriously?

That was sort of, *cough* ignorant *cough*. That wasn't even used in the correct sense. This isn't a law that harms the masses like slavery, this is what everyone (at least myself and a quite a few others) are accustomed to. This isn't appealing to me. If it appeals to you, cool, but I seriously doubt most people would be happy with a change like this. I sure wouldn't be. I think it's a tad selfish tbh. I stay away from forums with the style you like. I hang around other big sites with a whole lot of white space and they run justttt fineeee.

I never said the way it is now is right. It is fit for the way the forums function, thats all.

I shouldnt rant. :P

Agreed, but stay on topic.

@Goodbox: to be fair, Toribash is far from a slow, idle board. a big problem ive faced is with how fast clan discussion is, and keeping up with clan threads can be exhausting. also my solution doesn't have to be taken to the extreme in the way that I took it. i just feel that there is far too much empty space for the board to be efficiently browsed. when i have 40 posts per page, it can take ages to load the whole thing.

@Link: if you don't think that "your" way is better, than why are you so adamantly opposed to mine? also, yes the fallacy I linked is correct in the context you used it.

>>'The appeal takes the form of "this is right because we've always done it this way."'

who the fuck said anything about slavery?

Again, stay on topic >.> As you said, toribash in not an idle community, so having well spaced out posts is necessary, can you imagine off-topic or the discussion boards in the same format as that of reddit? Ew.

at the very most it is click bait. nobody's going to open a thread with a boring title

It hardly matters if the masses click it, for the most part the site devs actively look at S&I so your excuse for a bad title is unjust.

Originally Posted by Kikipro View Post
I like the free space between posts.
When it's clogged up it just looks messy, and avatars would be awfully scaled.

But that's my opinion.
Not supported.

Indeed, at lease a few people I can agree with :P

Originally Posted by Marci6 View Post
i personally hate reddit cuz i cant clearly see the fuckin posts. its too crowded for my tastes

Again agreed, if you want to talk on a reddit style board go to [url"https://www.reddit.com/r/Toribash/"]/r/toribash[/url]

Originally Posted by Fates View Post
the way i have solved this problem for myself is that i keep my max posts per page amount on 50 per page rather than the default 5. I really don't see the need to change the size of posts in this forum.

This is what I personally do, but if people have small screens I could see why this would be irritating...

Originally Posted by UberAZN View Post
stupid as it may sound, i feel that reddit with its small posts leaves the site with less of a community

It is laughable to say that reddit has a small community, it is so large that it is more like a web of communities, and if a lot bigger then the toribash community by a long shot. but to turn boStaff's comments onto himself "[url"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition"]The link that boStaff gave us.[/url]
just because reddit and it's millions of active users use it, does not mean we should use it :o

Originally Posted by Kyure View Post
Totally supported, no reason why the forums need to stay the same. There could also be an option to switch between both the original layout and the new layout.

A counter argument to this could be that there is also no real reason to change it either.

Originally Posted by Yoyo View Post
I like it, as long as it's a choice. I'll see what I can do.

Maybe the only god damned good post in this thread ._. this is the ONLY way I could ever agree to this being in the forums. although even if it was an option there would still be a lot of bug encountered, for example look at the hybrid option, that is really bugged and should never be used.

Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
This is cool. I think if it could be a variable, so you could choose the amount of lines between the signature and the last line in the posts.

Actually not a half bad post as well, although there is still the issue of avatars.

Originally Posted by Demon View Post
a selling point for forum vip is your post background
if everything is small as cock, there's not really gonna be much use for forum vip other than globals and price reduction on usertitles
i would only be fine with this if you were able to toggle it. i'm fine with this forum setup.

Indeed, although I still imagine that the majority would use the default option, there are already options to not show avatars and post backgrounds on and off.

Originally Posted by Moataz View Post
Well I got a suggestion(extra suggestion) . if you posted 2lines or more , your post will enlarge from small tiny post to a medium post (0.5 inches more). That might solve the issue of people who love to see their pesonalized posters right?
I know we got this already in the forums?

The thing about that is the avatars and post backgrounds...

Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
im sorry that u have to scroll down more
but seriously this seems like a lot of work for something that isnt really important, like tuna mentioned having a few empty gaps here and there isn't wasting anything. Even if you're on your mobile phone without being connected to wifi the extra bits wont affect your browsing experience at all in fact the only thing that might be slow at loading is avatars which can be toggled on most mobile phones and some browsers.

if you want this place to be/ look like reddit then make an r/toribash subreddit.
not supported :/

Made me smile, thanks

So, I hope this shows how I feel about this suggestion, what I suggest to people that don't like to change page or have a "cluttered" posting experience do the following:

asd

This was definitely not a huge ass post just to show off my post background :P
Aimlessly swimming in circumcisions
honestly i would like it more if i didnt have to scroll down to see more than one post in any thread i visit. i fail to see how the fact that the current layout works makes the suggested layout inherently bad. written letters work too but ur using your computer to tell bostaff how his suggestion is terrible.

everyone mentioning the subreddit should realise that the reason nobody uses it is because it doesnt have any of the features that the forum has.
oh yeah
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
everyone mentioning the subreddit should realise that the reason nobody uses it is because it doesnt have any of the features that the forum has.

i thought the reason people dont use the subreddit is because reddit is more like a discussion based website, while the forum is, well, just a forum
i could see a layout like this would greatly benefit those parts of the forum(the discussion or rapid threads or whatever) but for replay sharing, art sharing, and of course shitposting, might be better to keep what we have now

basically anything thats not casual boards would/should welcome a change like this

of course it should be an option if possible, i could see mostly everyone agree with this

truth be told i really will toribash had a beta site, to tests changes like this :/
okay i get that the forum works already and all that, but i think bostaff has a point. when im going through my daily threads (rip wibbles) i usually keep my browser zoomed out so i can see more of the thread. the empty space serves no function other than to give the post empty space.
So for you snotnosed dissenters and oldfags stuck in their ways, I went to a board (Doomworld) which is also vBulletin-based. in the SAME forum software, I can fit TWICE AS MANY POSTS within the boundaries of Toribash's. and I would still consider Doomworld's posts to be on the bigger side

still huge

shmevin eats smegma
Do you want a forum style where max avatar size is 64x64 and there's no player info displayed at all? How many people feel that way too?

I'm pretty sure it's not a problem to make what you suggest live because that will most probably only require tweaking forum templates, but how many users will use that style? Not feeling like doing something that only 10 people will use.