Ranking
Original Post
Velocity-calculating point system
Hey guys, here's a pretty simple idea I came up with today:

We should implement a new option for earning points (which could be enabled/disabled like sumo in the gamerules tab) which would be based on the velocity of the two players.
Let me explain:
Both players are assigned a point/frame value which is based on their velocity related to the other player's position. If Player A is moving towards Player B, he is getting points. If Player B is moving away from Player A, he's losing points. Being stationary shouldn't net any points.

This would enable mods like Wushu to actually reward players for trying to be sportsman-like. The pace at which points are lost or gained should be configurable as well ([velocity towards other player]*x, where x could be set by the room operator).

What do you guys think?
Last edited by ynvaser; Oct 3, 2013 at 04:04 PM.
Originally Posted by JSnuffMARS View Post
And I was sure you get banned for changing settings...

I just wonder what the hell are you talking about.

...it would make people annoyingly charge and kick or push-kick you away all the time. Just like flyingmonk, when he's attacking.

That's something you should deal with.
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Obviously it'd be a game rule you'd check.

You can also make the DMT in a duel to like... 15. It's entirely your fault for not checking game rules.

Not that this idea has my support neccesarily.

Even if you dont check the person offering the duel must tell you the rules themselfs if you dont know them. Even if you do.
blue
pink
Originally Posted by Kradel View Post
Even if you dont check the person offering the duel must tell you the rules themselfs if you dont know them. Even if you do.

It's quite unnecessary. You should be cautious enough to check the rules yourself.
Make it a command, then it would be more easier to disable/enable it.
<(Bomb)NimbleThief>can i have a dick up my ass please
So if someone is tripoding with no intention of coming back, he wouldn't lose points?
Or for example, like jsnuff said, if someone kicks you away you'll instalose even if you managed to damage him the most?

The idea is not totally bad, but can only be used on a set of situations which, even bein the majority, doesn't cover the 100% of chances of how a match could end.

Not getting my support as it is.
One flaw I see with it as well is that wrists move pretty fast correct? Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't a flick of the wrist have a lot of velocity and gain a lot of points?
[Team Wushu]
Pm me any questions! I will be happy to help.
Originally Posted by Tinerr View Post
So if someone is tripoding with no intention of coming back, he wouldn't lose points?

If your opponent tripods, you can make a comeback, while it takes a really skillful player to be faster than a runner. You could devise another countermeasure which gives you a penalty for being more or less stationary for a long time, but the core concept is what matters

Or for example, like jsnuff said, if someone kicks you away you'll instalose even if you managed to damage him the most?

It's pretty hard to kick someone away like that, since you can totally deflect kicks. I'd say it actually takes effort (or a lack of skill) from the opponent to get kicked away. You'd re-gain the lost points if you made a comeback anyways.

The idea is not totally bad, but can only be used on a set of situations which, even bein the majority, doesn't cover the 100% of chances of how a match could end.

It would eliminate the number 1 obstacle that prevents wushu from becoming a serious competitive mod. It can't be played that way if your opponent is being a dick.

Originally Posted by RedRebel24 View Post
One flaw I see with it as well is that wrists move pretty fast correct? Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't a flick of the wrist have a lot of velocity and gain a lot of points?

This would probably work by assigning a point to each ragdoll from where the calculations are made (could be based on several points on the body, w/e).
it would make people annoyingly charge and kick or push-kick you away all the time. Just like flyingmonk, when he's attacking.

Yes, exactly. Because the one thing standing between you and people playing like dicks is a velocity counter.

I see no negative impact of this, and it would let people fine-tune their movements and replays.

~Why Not?
Preposterously dank.
A lot of good ideas here. Perhaps the existing point system could remain, so points for damage would still be counted, but with a velocity or relative position counter added giving/removing points according to relative position to your opponent. So moving away from your opponent subtracts points and moving towards your opponent adds points. The position could be based on your torso for instance. These points could be counted per frame played.

However this would end up working, I think it's a great idea, and mods that have the space for it would benefit from implementing such an idea.

Supported.
rock the world, one fight at a time
Originally Posted by evo View Post
the existing point system could remain

Yeah, this would be an optional addition to the original point system.