Ranking
Well yea for sure it won't come to an end, I myself am 'unharmfully' racist to my mates of colour and I unfortunetly see it as funny and so do they. But atleast this can maybe tone down the hate that is around a lot to do with race. But even saying this I get triggered at Asians swarming my country. It's going to be a hard thing to do but atleast there's a decent amount of awareness coming out of this. Obviously the riots aren't good but typical MURICA
-----
Oops is that racist
Last edited by JoboMan; Jun 2, 2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
I apologise for this post.
Riots aren't good, sure, but at this point they're natural. For as long as I have lived, and decades beyond that, there have been peaceful protests. Sports players kneeling for police brutality victims. Celebrities talking about including more black people in their fields. Race diversity in video games, movies, TV series and so on. Peaceful marches. I've seen these for my whole life, and the most positive reaction I've seen to these from people who are close to me in real life is "man, it's so cool that they're being so philanthrophic." This is also how I thought, too.

End result? Nothing changes. Perpetrators don't get incarcerated, oh no - they don't even lose their jobs. No new laws or regulations are made, no modifications to existing ones, no programs to make life as a whole more fair to minorities. It's all nice and good to include more races in entertainment, but it's all pointless if nothing changes in real life. And, eventually someone is killed again, for us to go through this whole process again. And once again, nothing changes.

After these riots, if nothing changes, there will be a yet another innocent life killed. And then the riots get worse. And if nothing changes even then? Someone is killed once again, riots happen, which will be even worse.

It's all very natural. When you experience enough injustice, you will want to retaliate. At first it's peaceful, because no one wants violence. When it doesn't work, the measures start becoming more and more radical, until it becomes violence. And then, onlookers just say "wow dude chill violence doesn't solve anything", when these people have suffered discrimination and violence for decades.

Then we have statements like "all cops are bastards" or "defund the police". If you want attention towards a decades-long issue such as this, explaining all the history and nuances will take forever. You need statements like these to get people under the same banner. Of course, as said previously in this thread, the statements sound, at first, radical. Surely all police aren't bad? And what comes of public safety when the police are gone? But, just as many argue against these statements, the statements itself are also nuanced and have history behind them.

Here's the part where I state my opinion, which makes lots of people angry:

I think all the people who are against the rioting, "ACAB" and "defund the police" really don't care about the whole issue. These people, indeed, only see the violence and these few words, but the part where they go wrong is they build their opinions based on this meaningless amount of information. They argue how violence doesn't solve anything, that not all cops are bad, that defunding the police would mean the collapse of order and justice. They argue about all this while also saying that there's a lot of nuance and history to all these issues without finding the nuance and history behind these issues themselves. They're hypocritical and ignorant!

Yet, I cannot blame these people. I once thought like that, too; not about this current event, but past riots. No desire to actually investigate the issue because it really doesn't affect me in any way, yet still feeling like I was being attacked and thus forming baseless opinions to protect myself from this non-existent enemy. The justice system is something we're taught to respect, so when someone says that it's not that reliable, our knee-jerk reaction is to try to protect it, without really knowing why. It's been like this for our whole lives, why should it change now?

ehh, I've ranted long enough and probably aggravated enough people. sorry for being a butt, but still, we whites have too much power and we should probably use that power to fix things. my tu cents
I'm not really sure what question is being asked by the OP, but regarding George Floyd, he was a criminal convicted of numerous drug charges, for invading a woman's home with 5 others and pointing a gun at her. This was a deeply messed-up individual, and should not be portrayed as a martyr by any movement or person.

Now, the knee-on-neck protocol - as far as I've been made aware - isn't a by-the-book practice in the police force. However, the police are allowed to do it provided the situation requires it. In the case of Floyd's, the protocol wasn't proportionate to the gravity of the situation, and it can be confidently asserted that the police officer acted irresponsibly. He should have been convicted of voluntary manslaughter, though I believe the jurisdiction charged him with unintentional second-degree; the distinctions vary from jurisdiction. I'm from the UK, so I don't have full understanding of that stuff.

As for the idea that there is systemic racism in America, it is a loosely defined statement that requires proof and evidence. I haven't seen that proof.
Originally Posted by Mallymkun View Post
I'm not really sure what question is being asked by the OP, but regarding George Floyd, he was a criminal convicted of numerous drug charges, for invading a woman's home with 5 others and pointing a gun at her. This was a deeply messed-up individual, and should not be portrayed as a martyr by any movement or person.

No one said he was a perfect person, his needless death served as the umpteenth reminder that black people are being treated unfairly in the US.

As for the idea that there is systemic racism in America, it is a loosely defined statement that requires proof and evidence. I haven't seen that proof

Gonna go out on a limb and say you're not looking for it.
alright guy
As for the idea that there is systemic racism in America, it is a loosely defined statement that requires proof and evidence. I haven't seen that proof.

What kinda evidence do you want to see? Many books, studies, videos, podcasts, what have you, have been made about systemic racism.

How about a 34 minute of a guy responding to the Change My Mind guy claiming that systemic racism doesn't exist?
Oh, it's not evidence? How about the Wikipedia article of systemic racism? You know, the source that gives a lot of sources to articles, studies, books, and stuff?
Wikipedia isn't a real source? Despite all the sources that Wikipedia gives? How about an opinion article of The Washing Post with, once again, multiple links to studies about systemic racism in different fields? How about a yet another swarm of links by NPR, to books, films, documentaries and podcasts?

Forgive me, I might have sounded a little condescending there. If you're looking for evidence, it is there. As is often said, all you need to do is Google. But I know you won't check out any of those. Or maybe you will, I don't know, but I think it's rather unlikely. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't, either, because why the hell would I order books about an issue that I disagree with? Still, the evidence is there, and it won't go away, whether or not you check them out.

George Floyd wasn't a martyr. Martyrdom requires one to die while advocating for whatever they believed in. Floyd died while crying for his mother. He is a name amongst many, many black people who have been needlessly killed by the police, which is one of the far too many examples of systemic racism. You know, because black people tend to get reported way more often than whites. Many of the names used in these campaigns and riots are people who were reported for doing completely ordinary things, such as holding a phone or sleeping. You know, because people are more afraid of blacks starting shit than whites.

With that said, George Floyd did have a criminal record, although I fail to find anything about the "pointing a gun at a girl" part. The crimes happened between 1997 and 2009; quite a while ago. But still, why does it even matter? He was reported for paying with a counterfeit $20 bill, which no one knew at that moment if it was counterfeit or not, and then he was killed. Pointless killing, pointless death.
Originally Posted by fudgiebalz View Post
No one said he was a perfect person, his needless death served as the umpteenth reminder that black people are being treated unfairly in the US.

The point was that a dangerous person is more likely to end up in a situation where he's killed by a police officer. This goes against the narrative that police are actively out-to-get black people.

Gonna go out on a limb and say you're not looking for it.

Unfair assumption, you don't know me.
-----
Originally Posted by Tonakai View Post
What kinda evidence do you want to see? Many books, studies, videos, podcasts, what have you, have been made about systemic racism.

How about a 34 minute of a guy responding to the Change My Mind guy claiming that systemic racism doesn't exist?
Oh, it's not evidence? How about the Wikipedia article of systemic racism? You know, the source that gives a lot of sources to articles, studies, books, and stuff?
Wikipedia isn't a real source? Despite all the sources that Wikipedia gives? How about an opinion article of The Washing Post with, once again, multiple links to studies about systemic racism in different fields? How about a yet another swarm of links by NPR, to books, films, documentaries and podcasts?

It's all well-and-good sending me links - and I appreciate the effort - but what I'm after is evidence that systemic racism exists in your words. Feel free to quote others, but I don't have the time to read a bunch of books to get to the point. If it's so obvious that systemic racism exists, then it should be easy to explain to someone, like me, who is presently unconvinced.

"Systemic" implies a whole bunch of things. Where's the institutional and systematic racism in America? Can you point to any institutions?

Forgive me, I might have sounded a little condescending there.

You did, but you're forgiven.

If you're looking for evidence, it is there. As is often said, all you need to do is Google. But I know you won't check out any of those. Or maybe you will, I don't know, but I think it's rather unlikely. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't, either, because why the hell would I order books about an issue that I disagree with? Still, the evidence is there, and it won't go away, whether or not you check them out.

It's not so much that I don't read books and articles by people I disagree with, because I do. If I'm lucky enough to be in a discussion with someone on the opposing side, then I want to hear why they've come to the conclusions they've made on the issue, rather than be shown website links to stuff that never gets to-the-point.

George Floyd wasn't a martyr. Martyrdom requires one to die while advocating for whatever they believed in.

Glad we agree on that.

Floyd died while crying for his mother. He is a name amongst many, many black people who have been needlessly killed by the police, which is one of the far too many examples of systemic racism. You know, because black people tend to get reported way more often than whites. Many of the names used in these campaigns and riots are people who were reported for doing completely ordinary things, such as holding a phone or sleeping. You know, because people are more afraid of blacks starting shit than whites.

There are some examples of cases where black people have been needlessly killed by the police. What I'm confused over is how you've come to the conclusion that this is systemic racism. There might be racist individuals in the police force, or just incompetence. I mean, if you've got areas in the US where blacks commit way more crime than whites, then you're going to see some dreadful outcomes where mistakes are made, or there are stereotypes towards blacks, or even racism. If one demographic is causing more crime than another demographic, then understandably there's going to be people who fear that demographc more than others. I'm not saying that's right, but it's not necessarily racist either since there's some rational basis to their fears.

With that said, George Floyd did have a criminal record, although I fail to find anything about the "pointing a gun at a girl" part. The crimes happened between 1997 and 2009; quite a while ago. But still, why does it even matter? He was reported for paying with a counterfeit $20 bill, which no one knew at that moment if it was counterfeit or not, and then he was killed. Pointless killing, pointless death.

You don't believe his crimes even matter, but since you said you couldn't find it:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...son-Texas.html

I hate to use dailymail as a source, but it has the documents and everything there, so it'll suffice.
Last edited by Mallymkun; Aug 4, 2020 at 08:45 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
The point was that a dangerous person is more likely to end up in a situation where he's killed by a police officer. This goes against the narrative that police are actively out-to-get black people.

He wasn't doing anything dangerous before he got executed
He served jail time for his crimes
A bad thing happening to a bad person* is still a bad thing happening to a person
*debatable if Floyd was at the time of his death, people can change

Unfair assumption, you don't know me.

If you are looking and you say you haven't found anything, you're either blind, willfully ignorant, or completely dishonest.

It's all well-and-good sending me links - and I appreciate the effort - but what I'm after is evidence that systemic racism exists in your words. Feel free to quote others, but I don't have the time to read a bunch of books to get to the point. If it's so obvious that systemic racism exists, then it should be easy to explain to someone, like me, who is presently unconvinced.

"Systemic" implies a whole bunch of things. Where's the institutional and systematic racism in America? Can you point to any institutions?

Vaush (the 34 minute video guy) has a document with a sort of cliff notes version of why institutional racism is a real thing. The section that talks about it is credited to Rose Wrist. Links to sources are above the conclusions drawn from them.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...rE/mobilebasic

Some highlights:

Originally Posted by Racial bias in the justice system
Studies seem to indicate about 61-80% of black overrepresentation in prisons can be explained by higher black crime rates, with the unexplained portion largely attributable to racial bias.
Remember - the factors which lead to disproportionate criminality amongst black Americans are also in large part a product of racial bias. Underfunded public programs, redlining, generational poverty, bad schooling, and myriad other factors which influence criminality can also be traced to racial bias.

Originally Posted by Drug imprisonment and race
While White & Black Americans admit to using and selling illicit drugs at similar rates, Black Americans are VASTLY more likely to go to prison for a drug offense.
In 2002, Black Americans were incarcerated for drug offenses at TEN TIMES the rate of White Americans.
Today, Blacks are 3.7x as likely to be arrested for a marijuana offense as Whites, despite similar usage.
97% of “large-population counties” have racial biases in their drug offense incarceration.

Originally Posted by Nationwide traffic stops
Analysis finds the bar for searching black and hispanic drivers’ cars is significantly lower than the bar for white drivers.
Additionally, black drivers are less likely to be pulled over after sunset, when “a ‘veil of darkness’ masks ones’ race”.

Originally Posted by Sentencing disparities
Extensive multivariate regression analysis indicates black male offenders receive 19.1% longer federal sentences than similarly-situated white male offenders (white male offenders with similar past offenses, socioeconomic background, etc.)
This disparity seems to stem mostly from black males being 21.2% less likely to receive non-government sponsored downward departures or variances.
Non-government sponsored departures and variances refer to deviations from standard sentencing guidelines due to judicial discretion.
Black males who do receive non government-sponsored departures and variations still serve 16.8% longer sentences than white males on average.
In contrast, when sentencing length follows standard guidelines, that disparity is only 7.9%, and a substantial assistance departure for both groups nullifies that disparity.
IN SUMMARY - much of the sentencing disparity between similarly situated black males and white males comes down to judicial discretion to deviate from standard sentencing guidelines.
BONUS - regression analysis suggests violence in a criminal’s history does NOT explain sentencing disparities between black males and similarly situated white males - the effect of that factor seems to be statistically insignificant.

Originally Posted by Death penalty and race
Analysis of 33 years of data from Washington State to determine which characteristics best predict the decision to implement a death sentence.
Black defendants are 4.5 times as likely to receive a death sentence as similarly-situated whites.
Other factors (presence of aggravating circumstances, involvement of sex crimes, hostage-taking, etc.) explain only a small fraction of the disparity in prosecutors’ and juries’ decision to invoke the death penalty against black defendents.
Race was by far the most influential statistical factor.

Originally Posted by Implicit bias in larger society
Results from three separate studies on perception and racial bias show people have a tendency to perceive black men as larger and more threatening than similarly sized white men.
Participants also believed the black men were more capable of causing harm in a hypothetical altercation and police would be more justified in using force to subdue them, even if the men were unarmed.

I hope that helps.
alright guy
He wasn't doing anything dangerous before he got executed
He served jail time for his crimes
A bad thing happening to a bad person* is still a bad thing happening to a person
*debatable if Floyd was at the time of his death, people can change

The man was arrested for using a fake $20 dollar bill. He also had 19 nanograms of meth in his system, and 2.9 nanograms of THC, a psychocative ingredient found in marijuana. So I doubt he changed much - if at all.

Of course, this doesn't justify killing him. My point is that bad people - which George Floyd clearly seemed to be - are more likely to end up in situations like this. Wouldn't the systemic racism narrative have more impact in being applied to a more innocent black person rather than a drugged-up criminal like George Floyd?

If you are looking and you say you haven't found anything, you're either blind, willfully ignorant, or completely dishonest.

I can only choose out of those three? No fair!

Vaush (the 34 minute video guy) has a document with a sort of cliff notes version of why institutional racism is a real thing. The section that talks about it is credited to Rose Wrist. Links to sources are above the conclusions drawn from them.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...rE/mobilebasic

I hope that helps.

I'll have a look, thanks.
The man was arrested for using a fake $20 dollar bill. He also had 19 nanograms of meth in his system, and 2.9 nanograms of THC, a psychocative ingredient found in marijuana. So I doubt he changed much - if at all.

He was suspected of using counterfeit money and as far as I'm aware the public doesn't know if he actually was. Let's save our stances on drugs for another thread.

Of course, this doesn't justify killing him.

Following you.

My point is that bad people - which George Floyd clearly seemed to be - are more likely to end up in situations like this.

But you said this

Of course, this doesn't justify killing him.

The whole issue is the fact that he was killed

Wouldn't the systemic racism narrative have more impact in being applied to a more innocent black person rather than a drugged-up criminal like George Floyd?

There are plenty of examples of fully innocent black people getting shot to death (Tonakai mentioned their situations, names are Stephon Clark and Breonna Taylor), Floyd was the latest in a long line of blacks that received unjust excessive force from police officers.

I think the reason why this situation in particular garnered more outrage than the others was because people had nothing to do during quarantine, so instead of working with the injustice in the back of their minds, they protested because they had nothing better to do. This is just conjecture and might be insensitive towards the movement. Tell me how I'm wrong if I am. Maybe that came off as arrogant. Shit.

I can only choose out of those three? No fair!

Okay, a fourth one: you're not looking in the right places. (It's just a joke, please don't start a debate on who determines what the 'right places' are)
alright guy
the nature of floyd's character is irrelevant; the protests are not about him specifically and I think that's very obvious and arguing about floyd's nature to discredit the movement is myopic and immature
Omnia Mori
sed Evici Amor