ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
What do you define a pro/newbie as?
Let's get a general consensus here, what makes you label someone as a newbie and a pro? Whether you care or not there has been times when you play Toribash where you can tell how new someone is and how raw they are.

For me, a pro is someone has experience, is able to stop themselves from dqing in anyway possible (even if they lose), someone uses every joint accordingly, someone who can reverse or break a shovel/lift at times instead of giving up and/or complaining in the chat, someone who has at least 1 pretty cool replay (If they shared or not), and as a bonus (Doesn't really make them pro), someone who looks pretty cool.

A newbie is pretty obvious in my opinion and doesn't only consist of White - Black belts. They are people who rage quit, complain consistently about their losses (even if they got lifted), restrict other players from using certain moves because it makes them lose (Ex: No kicklifting), Someone who doesn't know how to use all their joints, someone who hold all for most of their body for the entire game (If they win when they do this, they could be a pro), someone who loses most of their games, someone who uses moves from a wiki and don't modify any part of it, someone who has to point out their a pro every time they play online, and basically the opposite of my view of a pro.

I probably missed some important aspects, but what do you guys think?
Last edited by Acesonnall; Apr 8, 2012 at 04:08 AM.
3DS FC: 2750 - 1690 - 5913
Acesonnall's Temporary Site: http://flavors.me/acesonnall (If anyone cares)
I define a pro as a person who can counter most moves doesn't matter if they win so much as when they lose it's because of something tiny, like you can see that without that tiny thing they would still have won, or that even though they lost they are still the better player.
i define a pro as someone that wins more then they lose and doesn't complain about losing like "OMG you rusher" or "wow you use youtube/moves", so basically someone that is good and also humble. and a newbie is someone that doesnt really know the game, so basically someone that started like a week ago usually by the second week of playing they are a beginner ( can win some games and understands how the games physics and how it works but still isnt that good) and not a newbie.
Words mean nothing, actions show the true meaning
A pro is someone who understand how the physics of the tori works.
If you spar with them they'll have great balance, if you wushu with them they'll have great impro, if you aikido with them they won't rely on lifts solidly, if you taekkyon with them they won't use 'the snapkick', if you lenshu with them they'll have great impro.

A newb is someone who is new...
A noob is someone who, despite experience, has failed to learn the physics, has no sense of sportsmanship, spams crappy moves that suck the fun out of the game and someone who is egoistic.
i agree completely with fear he has a great sense of what a pro, newbie, and noob are
Words mean nothing, actions show the true meaning
That's a good answer for what a pro is Fear. If you can use your knowledge of physics to the best of your advantage without having to resort to what looks like it'd work, you're that much closer to pro. Although, if you lose a lot when doing that you may want to change your methods. I think there's a difference between being pro in multiplayer and being pro in single player. Yours mostly defines a pro in single player.

~Ace
Last edited by Acesonnall; Apr 8, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
3DS FC: 2750 - 1690 - 5913
Acesonnall's Temporary Site: http://flavors.me/acesonnall (If anyone cares)
Under your definition, I wouldn't want to be a pro in multiplayer then.
Originally Posted by Acesonnall View Post
That's a good answer for what a pro is Fear. If you can use your knowledge of physics to the best of your advantage without having to resort to what looks like it'd work, you're that much closer to pro. Although, if you lose a lot when doing that you may want to change your methods. I think there's a difference between being pro in multiplayer and being pro in single player. Yours mostly defines a pro in single player.

~Ace

I disagree, multi and single player pro are the same thing. The players with greater control of their tori in multiplayer win more often than those that don't. When you look at the master fights in aikido and wushu and judo, the best 'pro' players all have expert tori control, otherwise they'd be flailing wildly.