ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Limit on toribash skill
I don't think this belongs in rapid threads so here I go. I've seen some replays in toribash that blew my mind. But heres my question, is there a limit to how good you can become on toribash? I'm not referring to battleing in multiplayer. But eventually(custom belts maybe) people reach a point where they can do anything they want with thier tori, right? I mean to say is there a point where there is no further progression. What someone is capable of doing with their Tori now will be the samething they can do with their tori in 10 years. I understand the possibilitys are endless and there's always room for originality. But I'm not talking about making new things, I'm talking about being able to do anything with your tori.
Curious aren't you.
Just because how Toribash works, you will never be able to do anything. For example, "While you are mid air decapitate your opponent with your foot without DMing it without hacking while he is 1000 ED away."

Someone may be able to do anything that can be done, but not anything

just my stupid-pants idea
h
You are probably right that there is eventually a point where your skill at something like toribash is hard to improve (since it is to do with knowledge of how the game works and you can eventually know practically everything to do with the game). However, there are practically unlimited mods to master, once someone is as good as they are going to get at parkour and tricking they could change the player-model to something completely different like a wolf and do it with that, although they will still know the physics the new joints will have different capabilities and running, climbing and jumping techniques will change. After that you can learn to use different weapons, staffs are generally viewed as easy to use and as unrealistic but if someone made a well weighted enough staff I can imagine that it would be possible to do some staff twirling and suchlike. There are skateboard mods, skiing mods and biking mods, and there are so many alterations which could be made to these mods that I doubt anyone would have time to master all of them.

As well as this there are also the possibilities to mess with the mechanics, self grabbing is probably glitchy enough to do some pretty unbelievable stuff with if you turn dismemberment off and get your timing right. I haven't seen this sort of glitch utilised before, maybe because it is impossible to or maybe because people haven't thought of how to yet.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Just because how Toribash works, you will never be able to do anything. For example, "While you are mid air decapitate your opponent with your foot without DMing it without hacking while he is 1000 ED away."

Someone may be able to do anything that can be done, but not anything

just my stupid-pants idea

I hear you but that's not what I meant. I mean if there is something possible to be done someone can do it.
Curious aren't you.
Originally Posted by apple123 View Post
I hear you but that's not what I meant. I mean if there is something possible to be done someone can do it.

Lol what, see me do it
1000 ed,
foot,
mid air

first try

no replay-editing
Attached Files
kingslayer.rpl (162.2 KB, 27 views)
Originally Posted by apple123 View Post
I don't think this belongs in rapid threads so here I go. I've seen some replays in toribash that blew my mind. But heres my question, is there a limit to how good you can become on toribash? I'm not referring to battleing in multiplayer. But eventually(custom belts maybe) people reach a point where they can do anything they want with thier tori, right? I mean to say is there a point where there is no further progression. What someone is capable of doing with their Tori now will be the samething they can do with their tori in 10 years. I understand the possibilitys are endless and there's always room for originality. But I'm not talking about making new things, I'm talking about being able to do anything with your tori.

sorta, but in a different way
for example ; you could do most things and be like rayman, or even fight a golem made out of moving objects in a mod
unfortunately even for nuthug to aquire such ridiculous modding capabilities he has to go through hampa, meaning he is changing the game for one single replay

you can't normally hack a replay like that without having a totally different set of skills
modding/hacking the game is on an entirely different - and quite difficult - level

there is a limit to how good you can be without hacking. prime example : jaker
he's a freaking hero seeing as how well he pushes the limits of toribash
Last edited by Internet; Apr 3, 2015 at 11:09 PM.
Originally Posted by Internet View Post

that makes me realise that there are objective restrictions to "skill". for example, it is literally impossible to get a uke decap in 1 frame with the engage distance at 100, because at 100 ED the tori is necessarily not touching uke in any way and the toribash engine itself would need 1 frame to register the hit, which makes it 2 frames.
oh yeah
Originally Posted by Internet View Post

Hypothetically, there is a limit to the amount of skill you could have in toribash, or with your example, Jaker and his entries in the Book of Records. There is a limit on how fast you can, say, split yourself in half, or break every joint off yourself, or uke. However there is possibly no limit on how far you can, for example, throw something, or fall from. We could push, and push the limits as much as we want, but there would probably be no end to how far we could go. We can only guess where the limit is. For time based things, we are very close to getting things optimised, if not, we are at the limit. For everything else, we are not quite sure where the limit is, but I personally like to think we're somewhat close, but in reality, we are probably far from the limit.
Last edited by Rfifan; Apr 4, 2015 at 04:34 AM.
RIP [duck] Aug 28 2011 - April 20 2020
I think the best answer to this question is yes. Yes, you can probably find a limit to all the possible things to do with your Tori. But think of it this way, the limit of things you can do with your Tori is probably in the billions. And that's not even considering mods or screwing with the game rules. So for all intents and purposes there is no limit to the crazy things you can do in this beautiful game. Also if you consider hacking the game we are talking huge numbers.
Last edited by GoldenRox; Apr 4, 2015 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Because I can
[14:08] <@ego> uncreative fuck R.I.P TL;DR
[14:08] <GoldenRox> That's me all right \(o_o/)
jaker's probably the closest most likely

but not there yet

he can almost ascend humanity though it wont be long
baha