ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
DQ ghost
Kind of thought about it while playing some wushu, when someone mentioned that the dq should be "clearer". Didn't spot a similar thread at first glance here as well.

Idea's relatively simple: Add the disqualification ring to the ghost, when the joint comes in contact with the dq area.

It's relatively easy to spot a possible dq anyway if you keep your eyes open, so it's not all that vital or necessary. It's just a minor doodle, really, for convenience. However it'd be simply easier when you're either running out of time and/or managed to overlook a detail in your next turn.
But why's the rum gone? :v
Part of the skill is in the tight saves, adapting your move to take into account the opponent's, adding a DQ ghost in my opinion would take away an element of skill.
Not supported.
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
It always seems a shame when someone loses because they misread that tiny gap between the Tori's ass cheeks and the ground.

Would you not rather play a full game than have a game end mid-way through because someone over/under-estimated the momentum, or the positioning, thus resulting in a dq? Or when a ghost shows that an elbow (as an example) of the Tori will be a borderline dq or save, but you are unsure.

I agree that there would be some degree of anticipation - surrounding dq - lost if this was to be added though. But is anticipation of a dq such an influential factor that would affect the game so greatly as to have a negative impact?
Last edited by Deuteria; Jun 5, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
If you're misjudging the distance between you and the ground then learn to judge it, I can't judge if something's going to dm so should that be added? I can't judge the opener of my opponent so that should be added too.

No, it takes skill. Add that and it removes the skill, this is why I do not support.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[4:37 PM] ponf: y'all might think i'm not wild enough to send dick pics over toribash
[4:37 PM] ponf: you'd be wrong
uwu i wuv you uwu
Originally Posted by Deuteria View Post
It always seems a shame when someone loses because they misread that tiny gap between the Tori's ass cheeks and the ground.

While that's true, would you not argue that's part of the game?
Adding DQ just means that people don't have to do the work for themselves, as I say - judgement is part of the game and part of the learning curve.

Would you not rather play a full game than have a game end mid-way through because someone over/under-estimated the momentum, or the positioning, thus resulting in a dq? Or when a ghost shows that an elbow (as an example) of the Tori will be a borderline dq or save, but you are unsure.

The first point is just a case of not being able to something about losing.
The risk is part of the game, to take that away would take away a huge part of the excitement of a match - and if you've misjudged then chances are you're gonna lose anyway.

As for the borderline dq - that's the risk you take. You take the risk or try and find a different move. Having a dq ghost just eliminates the risk and adrenaline of the match because you know the outcome.

I agree that there would be some degree of anticipation - surrounding dq - lost if this was to be added though. But is anticipation of a dq such an influential factor that would affect the game so greatly as to have a negative impact?

I would say so - yeah.
Aikido pretty much entirely revolves around the prospect of dq'ing your opponent.
Being able to see if you're about to dq will:
1. allow rage quitters to prepare further (barely a concern, but a point nonetheless)
2. defeat the point of saves to an extent. You could just randomly do shit until a dq ring doesn't appear - fewer tactics and thinking (what toribash is renown for), and more just clicking until there isn't a ring.
3. if you're about to dq someone, you could do the same thing as mentioned in point 2, until they're forced down to the point no save is possible. While yes, that's the idea, having a dq ring would make it a hell of a lot easier to see.

I'll concede to see your point in mods like wushu, but mods like aikido, or judo(frac), the prospect would ruin the mod imo

EDIT: post above made a good point about the dm's etc. Misjudgement shouldn't be accounted for
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
I just think that adding a ghost DQ would make the quality of games better.

I get that we're removing a skill factor of the game but in the end it's about improving the game not making it harder or easier. I think better moves, more fun games, and less stupid dqs... And the game already is hard enough..
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by Hxcbbqimo View Post
I just think that adding a ghost DQ would make the quality of games better.

I get that we're removing a skill factor of the game but in the end it's about improving the game not making it harder or easier. I think better moves, more fun games, and less stupid dqs... And the game already is hard enough..

It's only hard at the start.
I see your point however, perhaps it could be put to use in beginner/intermediate/semi-pro servers?
Making it slightly easier when people start the game.
If that were to happen though, it'd need to be made a full blown option, so long as it wasn't the default, I could see it's use
She/They

Kinda the same with it. Pretty pointless. It would ruin my hopes.

I wouldn't like to see my ghost dq and I can't do anything about it. ~Excitement loss

The ghost touches the ground its-self, so it's in no way a good help. ~Not useful

In order to support this idea, they might need to add a live opponent ghost, to see what DQ is going to be executed. ~ Suspense

What if I save myself from a DQ, then when I space he moves and DQs me? ~Maddening

~Not supported
私の顔にそれを言う。
@Erth: I still DQ because I can't see a difference in my set up after over 30,000 games so that's not 100% true.

My question I pose is whether or not a small decrease in skill cap is worth making the game more comprehendable and in some cases, fun. I venture in a school of thought that says yes.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Your main mod is clearly wushu, where it would be a small help yea, but my argument is based on the fact that it would be implemented across all mods.
So what would be a small skill cap in wushu, would be a large skill cap in say aikido
Part of being good at the game is realising that difference between DQ'ing and not DQ'ing.
And if you take a risk that means you may DQ, so be it - that's what a risk is.
She/They