ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Rotated starting position/stance?
I wanted to try making a little mod with (among other things) the toris starting out by facing each other side by side, instead of face-to-face. So basically, everything's normal except that both toris are rotated 90 degrees to their left. However, I didn't find any way to do this. All I found was the rot parameter, which I could use to rotate an individual limb/joint, but I also found out that using "rot 0 0 270" on every limb and joint resulted in every joint/limb being rotated around itself (which of course made a mess of everything), instead of around some common pivot point.

So, my question is, is the engine such that I really have to manually write the new coordinate positions (and rotations) of all the joints/limbs if I just want to rotate the whole tori, or is there a way to rotate the whole tori (without touching the coordinates and rotations of each individual joint/limb) or at least give the coordinates to use as a pivot point when using rot (so I could rotate every joint/limb around the same point, instead of every one of them rotating around themselves)? I would quite frankly find it really weird and ackward if there was no way of specifying positions and rotations of limbs/joints/objects in relation to each other (instead of being limited to always only using absolute coordinates), so I'm being a little bit hopeful here.

Sorry if this is clearly answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it with a bit of looking.
Have you tried the engage rotation in the game rules?

It rotates the whole Tori...

That's the only way I could think of....
So basically, everything's normal except that both toris are rotated 90 degrees to their left.

will happen if you set engage rotation on 90
My intention was to do a mod involving swords, sticks, or other weapons, with the toris actually starting in some actual stance. For this, I'd need to be able to, well, adjust the starting stance.

Like this, for instance (pictured from the side):

O    /  \    O
 /¯|¯\_/    \_/¯|¯\
 \ |            | /     I want to do this
  / \          / \
_|   \_      _/   |_

O            O
   o            o
   |            |     This is what it's like by default
   |            |
   |_          _|

The game is presumably so moddable otherwise, that I find it rather puzzling if I can't in some convenient way change the starting stances, especially considering how the default stance just doesn't fit at all in many situations (like with weapons). And not just from the realism viewpoint (of which I don't care that much about), but from that of gameplay too (different starting stances open up completely different sets of opening moves, and thus different mods would actually play more differently).

EDIT: And of course, the reason I want to get this into the mod itself, instead of just doing the rotation in the game settings, is because the mod would be pointless (more or less) without the rotation, so forcing the settings to be set "right" just makes it more clumsy to use, when the rotation should be an intrinsic property of the mod itself.

EDIT 2: And it's not just the rotation. As you can see in my fabulous ascii illustration, I'd need to move limbs into correct starting positions too, within the normal bounds of the joints of course. I presume this isn't exactly simple to do either?
Last edited by zookeeper; Dec 14, 2007 at 01:11 PM.