Toribash
Original Post
Star Citizen/Elite Dangerous
How are there no threads about these right now?

I'll start with Elite Dangerous because it's already released:
http://www.elitedangerous.com/

pics

Elite Dangerous is a space sim game with a gargantuan universe of about 400 billion star systems you can visit(you can explore for a year and not go to every single place), wonderful controls, and the best sounds I've ever heard in a game. Players can do whatever they want, with roles ranging from mining, to bounty hunting, to piracy, to exploration, and beyond.

Next up, is a game that has not yet been released, but it is quite possibly the biggest game in this genre in the past 20 years(next to Elite Dangerous).
Star Citizen!

Star Citizen is also a space sim game, with a smaller but more detailed universe than Elite Dangerous. The game will include very large ships, the ability to move around ships/space as the pilot, and many other features. Space geeks have been arguing for months now which one of these two is going to be the better game, and I plan on getting Star Citizen when it comes out too.

pics

Both games will be updated actively by the developers, and new things will be introduced constantly. This has truly been a great year for space fans.
Hoss.
i like how elite dangerous is $39.99 on their website, but $59.99 on steam.
nervermind, derped, 39.99 pounds on their website, not dollars :S

games look exciting.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
First game I've ever spent $60 for. Usually I wait for crap to go on sale before bothering. FF13 has gotten me back all of the $7 I spent on it in collectible cards, lol. I like it so far.
Hoss.
The only thing that makes me hesitant on buying this is I don't have a joystick. I saw this at pax and they had this sweet setup where there was 3 monitors and it literally felt like you were in the cockpit. I'm pretty sure you need two joysticks my friend was talking about it but I got lost. Honestly sick game though, I don't have the money to buy the gear needed to play it (or the computer) but it's a really fun game. I love how their isn't any menu, it's just the screens in the cockpit, it keeps you immersed.
i created the ??? emoji
like a lighter bitch we ignit
You don't need a joystick for elite dangerous, it's fine with a mouse. The settings are a little jerky at first, but with a bit of work it can be made doable.
Hoss.
joystick doesn't make you flight better, it's just different way to control your craft.
i fly on joysticks because i like aestetics of it, and because i just like flying (though mostly helicopters as it's most fun, since they always require your input and you can't take hands of controls even for a few seconds, unless you want to crash horribly.) it's much more simple with planes and space crafts as you can just set it the way you want and go grab some tee.

and idk, you can buy some cheap one to see if you like the whole flying idea or not, as for me, i tried 2 joysticks, untill i figured that magnet sensors are the only way to go. so if i knew it from begining i would buy cheap magnet one (T-16000M)

anyway, here is my setup:

logitech G940 flight system

joystick, throttle and pedals are all on magnet sensors, so it's a good investment if you mind to buy it (no mechanics means even if everything is weared off - you can recalibrate it on magnets and it will work same perfect way, also force feedback, but it will work in flight sims like WarThunder, il-2, bob, rof etc etc not space sims, as there is no air.)

TrackIR 5 with reflectors

, not clip (i don't recommend to buy PRO version as i did, the quality of clip is shitty)

so if you want to try something similar but less expensive - there is a great magnet sensor joystick avaiable
Thrustmaster T-16000M

and free alternative to trackIR - freetrack (DIY) or opentrack to turn your android phone in track ir (there will be no zoom axis, but 4 dof are just as good)

and yes, if you are planning on dogfighting, track ir is essencial as you can keep your eyes on target all the time.

i heard some people use cyborg flight 5, but i would no recomend it as it does not have magnet sensors - meaning like most of non magnet joysticks it will have stairs effect.

also very important, don't be misguided by x52, even if the elite use it ingame, it sucks, really

so yeah, i just had a fresh start yesterday and almost got enough credits to buy a viper. not so bad for one night, whats your progress?

also star citizen is a scam imo. feel free to disagree
Last edited by snake; Apr 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
I'm flying an adder right now, bounty hunting and smuggling. It's pretty fun, but until I get a joystick i'll be using my keyboard/mouse. I've got the settings set up in a really nice way and it feels good to fly.

E:

Okay so, I just have to post this

I decided to clear my save because I got bored of the adder and I was essentially stuck in a really shitty star system. I start off with the sidewinder, only available mission is a 600 credit mission to eravate, so I take it and go because fuck LS3447.

I submit the mission, but there are no available missions at Russel Ring and I didn't feel like waiting, so I decided to go bounty hunting, in my fully stock sidewinder.
I find an unidentified signal source, and in there are 2 pirates, an eagle and a cobra. I take off after the eagle and I manage to nail it in about 6 shots. I go after the cobra dude who's like "lol is this sidewinder scrub serious?", and after a hard fought fight(he broke my shield and got my hull down to 87%) I manage to destroy him. Picked up some rare artifacts, smuggled them back in, boom, 50k in about 12 minutes from start. I decide to go bountyhunting again, no upgrades to the sidewinder. I run into a sole cobra who's cocky like the last guy was, and I absolutely destroy this dude. He called me a hacker, rofl. Up to 63k, like 1/3rd of what I had before the restart only 17 minutes into it.
Last edited by Hyde; Apr 16, 2015 at 07:08 AM.
Hoss.