Ranking
Original Post
[TEX]Poketoriball
Well, this is pretty obvious :P.
Suggest if I should add some eyes cause I may be using this for my head. :P

I'd like to add some metallic gradient in the grey middle circle , to add more metallic looking, like i thing it should be, but i'm not sure how to apply it
Last edited by Dimonsix; Sep 1, 2012 at 01:47 AM. Reason: add question
just so you know, your colours are wrong.

It's a red top and white bottom (is a le pokemon fan), not white top and red bottom, also the centre "button" is a bit big, whereas the center line is a bit thin imo.
THIS WAS ORIGINALLY THE WORST SIGNATURE EVER, FOR YOUR SAKE IT WAS FIXED. ~ Vox
Make the eyes then, there's much tutorial on google, google is your friend. And why there's some red points on the white area?
Member of FAKE
I started making another pokeball head from 0. That one was a bit innacurate, I am doing one helping myself with middle horizaontal and vertical guides is the best way for this.
A pokeball head may not be realistic for toribash, but just for fun and you can always make another head later on, or add things to it. Ill post the gift or jpg when i finish the other one, so that you can tell me some mistakes. You probably would make it in a moment but for me is taking quite a while for that simple head.
Originally Posted by Dimonsix View Post
I started making another pokeball head from 0. That one was a bit innacurate, I am doing one helping myself with middle horizaontal and vertical guides is the best way for this.
A pokeball head may not be realistic for toribash, but just for fun and you can always make another head later on, or add things to it. Ill post the gift or jpg when i finish the other one, so that you can tell me some mistakes. You probably would make it in a moment but for me is taking quite a while for that simple head.

You could have just flipped the head texture vertically.
Colours aside, the whole concept of a Pokeball head has been use quite a lot, but as you're doing this for fun, I'll comment on the execution.

If you look at a normal Pokeball as a reference, the front of the Pokeball is similar to two circles with bevel, or cel shaded (which you've done a bit of in your texture)

Extremely rough examples of what I mean

As you've done this by a brush (You can tell by the strokes and as you're intending to get an anime/cartoon like style I would suggest using the pen tool (Photoshop) or the Path tool (GIMP) to improve over your brush use.

The fact that you haven't mirrored isn't the best idea for this texture, as Pokeballs are basically symmetric, I would suggest copying a part of the side to the back to remove the seam (The hole at the back).

The asymmetric shadow thing on the front looks quite nice for your level (Based on what techniques you don't know etc), but you could refine it a bit more by adding a few more shades in.

Now that that's done with, I would suggest looking at the shape of the front, the ring in the middle is too small and doesn't look that nice.

Oh, and there is an odd dot in the middle.

Overall/tl;dr:

I would suggest keeping the level of simplicity, keep the asymmetric shadows and details, but mirror the base of the texture (For this kind of thing anyway)
Use pentool/pathtool for the style you're intending to get and look at a reference for this kind of thing.

Feel free to PM me if you want me to explain this better, because I am quite awful at doing so :c

And/Or feel free to PM me if you want terrible advice (I'm not exactly very good with art)/ me to show you anything you want.

Keep doing this kind of thing and you'll get the hang of doing textures and how they map around spheres/any other object you want to map them round.

Once and if you get more into texturing, I will give you more specific criticism on how to improve on this texture (Where it's good to highlight/shade and what styles suit it and mapping.)
Last edited by notnoob; Sep 1, 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: MORE EDITING
Sold my dog to join RRO
I don't understand it... Why the hell does it become so glitchy when i transform it into a sphere? may be in game looks well, but I don't know. When i don't transform it into a sphere and it is plain normal image it looks well...
I attach the .xcf file so that you can see by yourselves how it looks in gimp normally.
It is in 1024x512 resolution so before converting into a spinning globe you have to resize it to 512x512.
However, im goiing to test an exporten .jpg of the image to see if it looks well in game.

Glows and shadows are done with bevel and emboss and such script-fu. there are no manual shadows or glows in this one.
Layers are merged too, It might be because of that, but i don't get why it should work using bevel and emboss...
Attached Files
Pokebola3.rar (62.2 KB, 4 views)
Last edited by Dimonsix; Sep 2, 2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: question