Toribash
Original Post
Create Incentive for Veterans to Play
Pretty simple suggestion: there's nothing really appealing out there for people to earn in Toribash once they've hit 20,000 Qi. It's clear that this lack of promotional opportunities for Veteran players has an impact in their activity, or complete lack thereof.

The closest thing custom belts can talk about "achieving" or "earning" in Toribash is of course "God Belt"; however, that small cosmetic change isn't enough because custom belts can simply change their belt name on a whim to "God Belt" without any problem. That, and one three letter word is hardly a consolation for 30,000 more games to be played.

If you're here to agree or disagree that this is in fact an issue, please post. Additionally, this thread could be used to brainstorm suggestions for what exactly would serve as an incentive for Custom Belts to keep playing.

Some "stream of consciousness" suggestions from the top of my head:

1) Exclusive colors for 30,000/40,000/50,000 games played.
2) Custom made 3D Objects for 30k/40k/50k games played.

It's fiscally reasonable to create incentive for players to move on for thousands and thousands more games. The longer they stay here in Toribash, the more likely they'll throw money at the game. And although it'll never happen under the current people who are in charge of this- it'd be leaps and bounds better if these Objects/etc. can't in anyway be purchased or transferred.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Oct 18, 2014 at 01:23 AM.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Forum changes also sound like a great idea. As goughy said, have the header of your post be a certain color, possibly free usertitles, a moving usertitle?, maybe some other cool forum perks like a 20 qi+ forum board(wibbles for high qi players). The list goes on. You can virtually do anything for the high qi players. I know if I worked my ass of to get 20k qi, I would want some kind of recognition. The game gets boring after there is nothing left to do.
A hasbeen like the rest
Most suggestions aren't implemented because the opportunity cost of making the suggestion is more expensive than the profits of said suggestion. Rarely are updates made to Toribash that are exclusively to make players happy, outside of say bug fixes which are just necessary to even run a game.

Even if we keep with that popular tradition, I'd argue this suggestion's opportunity cost is less than how much Nabi makes by implementing incentives for high qi players to remain active.

It's pretty simple: it isn't the brown belts buying TC to duel away, hosting betting servers, or buying 300k Texture sets made by photoshop/mudbox animals. The longer the player stays in Toribash, the likelihood of them giving real currency into the game increases substantially. Yes that curve drops off at around 5th Dan or so, but that's probably because by then they've decided to buy No Qi Demon/Void because… well Nabi made that an option. Regardless, 6th 7th 8th 9th through custom and above are far more likely to buy 200k or joint texture sets than white belts through 3rd Dans. While content exists for every belt from white to custom, there is an immediate and horrendous drop off to an abyss of nothingness once you've hit 20,000 Qi. If this were 2008, I could understand this being a minor oversight that is fixed ASAP because they couldn't have predicted people reaching more than custom belt, let alone feasibly hitting God belt. But we've had players hit God Belt over 4 years ago now, and still the 30,000 Qi gap between them and customs, along with anything above them, has absolutely no reward. Which makes zero sense not just because they are your most loyal customers, not just because they had to play tens of thousands of games rather than say just 1,000 games to reach their next reward, but because fiscally, they are a great deal more likely to support you financially than the newer players.

So just incase the point was lost in all of that:

1) Players who play loads of games are more likely to spend $$$ on Toribash
2) Crafting reasons for players to play loads of games will increase them playing loads of games.

therefore

3) Making incentives to play loads of games = Nabi Studios getting more money.

The best part of this suggestion though, is what it would take to make it happen. This requires no economic cost. Hampa wouldn't have to hire independent developers nor pay current developers to develop anything new. We have an entire dedicated volunteer artistic community ready to develop these items (who, in fact, volunteered specifically to make items) that could make this happen in less than a week. We have another completely volunteer based market group that could make sure the prices are appropriate. Oh and did I mention that these rewards probably won't be free? I think I did. Case I didn't- yeah they probably won't be free. Which means you're getting even more TC sunk from the economy.

It pleases the fans and veterans, it acknowledges the hard work of those who have worked hard, it removes TC out of the Torieconomy, it gives more things for newer players to look forward to, it doesn't cost a dime to make happen, it could be done and over with in less than a week, we already have dedicated volunteers to work on it, and it makes Toribash (Nabi Studios) money in the long run. If this isn't a passable suggestion I really don't know what is.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Oct 15, 2014 at 07:45 AM.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
So I guess what would be ideal is something to make oldies want to play again and keep them playing, rather than just having them hang around and play 2 games a week.
I'm not sure that a few free items will do this, but for the life of me I cannot work out what will.
Forum perks would be cool too but I don't think it will do the trick.
I'm not sure that a few free items will do this

That's because they won't, right.

I doubt that anybody has any problems with adding custom belt+ obj items and even making them cost 1 TC just to reward those who got lots of qi, but it's not going to be the "incentive" you're talking about, Hax. I do know lots of custom belts and several items won't make them play more. If you're not one of those guys who farm 200 games daily just to get higher belt, by the time you've got custom belt you already have everything you need if you still care about items. Having items that are only available at 30k / 40k / 50k or 100k qi will be just a neat reward for players, not the reason to play.

Permanent TC boosters are an awful idea and you should know why.
Exclusive colors are also a not the best idea and being an ex-ninja you should also know why.

By the way, you're kind of wrong thinking that the more people play the game the more real money they are likely to spend on it. Most of the stuff is bought by those who've got less than 3k qi, others either buy TC from other players because the "black market" prices are lower or duel the TC to get stuff. There are rare exceptions for USD-only items and forum subscriptions, but still high-qi users tend to buy less.
Maybe like once you hit custombelt a reset your account to 0qi. But keep all the achievments, belts, etc, like sort of a prestige kind of thing I guess. I'd reset my account to 0 qi if I could keep custombelt ability and when somebody /stats me it shows like prestige 1 then the qi. Then maybe when you're on your first prestige, you have a x2 qi booster, second you have a x3 times... That's way qi keeps going up faster and faster with each prestige. Just a little food for thought, cause I'd do it and it would give me a bit more of a reason to continue to play, cause currently right now I just go in to talk to friends lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Halloween!!!!!
[u]Ultimate | Team Shit-ido | National GayTerrorist Club |Photoshop Corp.
ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS---BootyShorts
R.I.P UNDEAD21, Beta, and Assazin
Originally Posted by sir View Post
That's because they won't, right.

I doubt that anybody has any problems with adding custom belt+ obj items and even making them cost 1 TC just to reward those who got lots of qi, but it's not going to be the "incentive" you're talking about, Hax. I do know lots of custom belts and several items won't make them play more. If you're not one of those guys who farm 200 games daily just to get higher belt, by the time you've got custom belt you already have everything you need if you still care about items. Having items that are only available at 30k / 40k / 50k or 100k qi will be just a neat reward for players, not the reason to play.

agree on that.
Permanent TC boosters are an awful idea and you should know why.

agree aswell.
By the way, you're kind of wrong thinking that the more people play the game the more real money they are likely to spend on it. Most of the stuff is bought by those who've got less than 3k qi, others either buy TC from other players because the "black market" prices are lower or duel the TC to get stuff. There are rare exceptions for USD-only items and forum subscriptions, but still high-qi users tend to buy less.

finally some marketing insight. was interesting to read.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
I agree that it'd be nice to have a bit more in the way of unlocks/anything for higher Qi. After you're used to upgrading/unlocking from white to 10th, the road after that is pretty boring. Custom belts are cool though, so there is that.
<the god> the god
<@Smilies2> modding tiem

And how about feature that allows to get 10 tc per win in private and unofficial rooms and/or giving that 10 tce per win for everyone in room that was created or opped by veterans ? It will not be big abuse.
It would be nice if you could cash in your Qi for TC. You start again but at tier 2 (tier 3, tier 4 etc..)you keep all your items but you repeat. just keep repeat it so it can become a way to also make tc. so maybe lets say 100k TC if you cash in your belt. about the getting to keep your items I mean you keep them in your deactive until you reach the Qi where you can equip them. (I mean it would be nice to have the cash in Qi limited to master/custom belts) have each tier give them a different coloured username so maybe cyan for tier 2, lime for tier 3 for example
Last edited by RedPanda; Oct 15, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18