Ranking
Original Post
New Competitive Esport Rank System
This ranking system that I present hopes to bring Toribash to a new level of competitiveness, it aims to reward skilled players for fighting other skilled players. The current ranking system does not reward skilled players, instead it rewards those who farm worse players than themselves.

How does it work?
It works using the current elo system but instead it forces players to fight those stronger than them. Therefore only the best will be able to get to the highest rank.

For now the current ranking system can stay and this additional "Esports" rank can also be in place at the same time. This will allow the new ranking system to be beta tested over a period of time and if successful then the old rank system could be removed.

Separate "Esport" ranked lobby's should be programmed to auto change the mod after a period of time (24 or 48 hours). This is because the most skilled players can play in a variety of mods.

The mods for the lobby's should be decided on community input.
Here is a suggestion of mods that could be scripted to auto change:

Mon: Lenshu3ng.tbm
Tue: ErthTKv2.tbm
Wed: AikidoBigDojo.tbm
Thur: Boxshu.tbm
Fri: Greykido.tbm
Sat: Rk-MMA.tbm
Sun: Boxshu_Mushu_V2

Multiple servers should be set up and restricted based on the new "Esport" rank. In addition Tiers 4 - 5 would also have a 1,000 QI restriction. Tier 6 would have a 2,000 QI restriction and Tier 7 would have a 3,000 QI restriction. This would be to prevent alts and act as a motivation to play the game and gain enough QI for the lobbys.

Lobby tier 1: Rank 50,000 +
Lobby tier 2: Rank 35,000 - 50,000
Lobby tier 3: Rank 35,000 - 15,000
Lobby tier 4: Rank 15,000 - 5,000
Lobby tier 5: Rank 5,000 - 1,000
Lobby tier 6: Rank 1000 - 250
Lobby tier 7: Rank 250 - 1.

The new rank could be displayed in a way like :

The way this rank system is set up should not require to much effort to implement as it uses a lot of the settings that are already in the game.

Long Term Aim

If this ranking system was successful then it has a lot of potential for the future. The old ranking system could be totally removed if people think that is best.

For the long term, "Esport" ranks should be reset every month (Seasons*) therefore it is a battle each month to gain the #1 spot and this keeps it highly competitive. A reward system could be added for players who achieve certain ranks as well as achievements. Some of my ideas are that top 16 players would receive a special non-trade-able 3D item that would be different depending on what "Season" they won. TC or forces / laxes could be rewarded for getting to certain Tiers. E.g. Vampire force for getting to Tier 3.

Data could be collected and Nabi Studios could use information such as the top 16 players in each season to plan world championship spots.

Potentially players could click on other players names to find out information about there best previous season rankings or even a leader board could be added to the menu where players can view statistics about who is the best from what season etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please feel free to give feed back on this system, and point out any flaws and improvements that could be added.
Originally Posted by JSnuffMARS View Post
I think it's two things that decide who's the best player.

1)Sickest replays, most SP ability (prob. pusga right now, but he's poor on TC)
2)The duels. Who makes the most TC is the most solid duel (MP) player

and for both I don't need no elo, I know who these people are

The rank system is not designed for players just to be able to know who is the best player. I'm sure if a system was implemented people would still have there own opinions about who is the best.

The main purpose in adding a rank system is to bring people to the game, add a goal to the game, increase the competitiveness and have something for players to do who may currently be fed up.

Not only all those reasons but there is many more benefits to adding a real rank system, Toribash may get a lot more media, broadcasters may stream there climb to rank 1 etc, as well as making a youtube series.

I think adding a rank system should be right at the top of Nabi Studios goals along with bug fixes.

The system I presented may not be the best and I think almost everyone agrees a matchmaking system would be better, but I think this system would be achievable for now.

( I will post a match making structure soon which doesn't use the elo system and would be far superior to this one. )
It doesn't matter that elo was designed for Chess, it would work on Toribash too. The only problem is, Chess uses matchmaking with people of similar elo.
Creati0n is the WORST Smite player EVER
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
It doesn't matter that elo was designed for Chess, it would work on Toribash too. The only problem is, Chess uses matchmaking with people of similar elo.

There is a point that even on chess farm by creating multiple accounts and beating them with a main, but the elo system still works because of the sheer number of players so this minority is insignificant, unfortunatelysh does not have anything like the players chess has so I don't think the elo system can work.

To avoid confusion: on chess sites there is an option to play ranked games privately or to use matchmaking
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
There is a point that even on chess farm by creating multiple accounts and beating them with a main, but the elo system still works because of the sheer number of players so this minority is insignificant, unfortunatelysh does not have anything like the players chess has so I don't think the elo system can work.

To avoid confusion: on chess sites there is an option to play ranked games privately or to use matchmaking

If you read through the first post in this thread, you will see that the elo system would work fine with the suggested rank system.
Supported.

For several reasons. Has anyone noticed that alot of the greatest TB players have gone inactive? One of the reasons is most likely boredom. With this ranking system, there would actually be a GOAL to Toribash. Sure, you can spend hours perfecting replay making skills, or your aikido strategy, but is that really fun? Not to me. I crave competition. This would be amazing. I truly would love to have this. I have absolutley no objections.
I'm just gamin' man
Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post
If you read through the first post in this thread, you will see that the elo system would work fine with the suggested rank system.

FistofLife, I have read through the first thread, if you read my post carefully you will see I was talking aabout chess and criticising the elo system not the suggested alternate system
Mayas-well bump this as it is pretty relevant now as it seems like the type of system that Toribash is going for.