ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Appeal to the web design team: make the forum interface not fucking stupid
hi toribash staff. this is an issue that has bothered me for a long time. any post with less than 2 full paragraphs leaves a huge amount of empty space for literally no reason. even with signatures and avatars off, i can only see about 3 to 4 posts on the page at once.

why?
this next image was all I could fit into 1 visible space and none of the posts had even extended the box at all. this is the MINIMUM SIZE for posts.

what the fuck

here. for reference, lets see the post size of some other popular bulletin boards and social media.

Reddit:

here you can see multiple posts.

wait a sec. those reddit posts are pretty dang small! let's see how many we can fit in one Toribash post.

gif

three posts! goodness gracious

>>but boStaff, Reddit isn't a bulletin board! toribash doesn't have nested replies; that's an unfair comparison!

that's a fair point. why don't we look at a more traditional bulletin board without any sort of default nesting.

4chan:

Bear with me; I know 4chan isn't a shining example of a functioning community, but its design is brilliant and fundamentally compact. look at those teeny tiny posts! wowie zowie!!

>>B-b-but boStaff, 4chan doesn't have avatars and signatures!! That must be the reason posts on Toribash are so bloated, right??

well, first off, all the toribash examples I've posted are with avatars and signatures disabled. how interesting

but you're right -- the posts are EVEN FUCKING BIGGER with avatars and signatures enabled.

i wonder why the toribash posts are the only ones i have to spoil....hmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Wow, glad i had all that blank space for that 2-sentence shitpost. how practical! wait no

Here's what it would look like if the post was resized proportional to the amount of content.

you could probably optimize space even further, but you get the point.

lets see how many we can fit in the original, unaltered post!

that's almost 2!

now how many can fit in a full page?

kinda big

wow. instead of the 3 original posts that I showed in that section of my screen, it totals to about 5.2. my monitor is pretty low-res too (1280x1024). keep in mind that the original picture had NO avatars and NO signatures, yet the edited version has both.
This is also keeping all the user information intact, too. belt rank, join date, report button, whatever. if users didnt feel the need to be special snowflakes then we could make the posts even smaller, but I can only argue so much.

I understand that this specific method would be awkward with larger avatars. maybe you could have the avatar on one side of the post and the information on the other or something. i'm not a web or graphic designer. these ideas aren't perfect. that's why YOU are the staff and I'm not. but that does not discount my suggestion; it is in no objective way a negative change and can only help the quality of the board. as far as I'm aware, it should be easy to do, too. my suggestion isn't a complete overhaul of the interface, it's just a minor change in the usage of screen space.

get on this please, devs. i guarantee none of you want to have an inefficient or impractical looking board. bostaff out
Last edited by boStaff; Nov 16, 2015 at 06:57 AM.
shmevin eats smegma
i personally hate reddit cuz i cant clearly see the fuckin posts. its too crowded for my tastes
Originally Posted by GoodBox View Post
Eh, you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist in my opinion. Getting rid of white space is nice and all. But its not like these forums are active enough for that to matter in the first place. Can't think of the last time I thought "Wow, I wish these posts were smaller so it'd be easier to skim through all the new posts in this thread."

the way i have solved this problem for myself is that i keep my max posts per page amount on 50 per page rather than the default 5. I really don't see the need to change the size of posts in this forum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[VIBE] 2015~2016 | Team Pokemon | [Origin] 2014~2015 | Team Aikido | [Obey] ~Because Frost Said So...
stupid as it may sound, i feel that reddit with its small posts leaves the site with less of a community
Totally supported, no reason why the forums need to stay the same. There could also be an option to switch between both the original layout and the new layout.
I like it, as long as it's a choice. I'll see what I can do.
multiple texture uploader! updated: multiple texture remover!
updated pretty colorlist!

<BobJoelZ> ok ive just rebooted my pc and ive tried to activate my reflex on yahoo internet explorer :/ no luck

<Aracoon> I do not enjoy having anal sex with multiple men
This is cool. I think if it could be a variable, so you could choose the amount of lines between the signature and the last line in the posts.
Last edited by Lazors; Nov 17, 2015 at 08:12 AM.
a selling point for forum vip is your post background
if everything is small as cock, there's not really gonna be much use for forum vip other than globals and price reduction on usertitles
i would only be fine with this if you were able to toggle it. i'm fine with this forum setup.
pacquiao
I agree with the toggle. i cant believe i didnt think of it in the OP. again this is why i'm not staff..... lol
shmevin eats smegma
It works the way it is now, the forums are not like paper, "useless" white space is hardly an issue.... It has worked well like this for years, it still works. The only thing I can foresee with this is more issues, I personally like the saying "If it is not broken, don't 'fix' it."

options

I guess like what Yoyo said, it could be "optional".
Originally Posted by Yaysian View Post
What about with people with giant ass avatars? Will they be clustered as well? When toggling from layout to layout?

Well from what I gathred from what was said here is that he wants it to take up less space, so I'm guessing avatars also take up "useless" space as well.
Aimlessly swimming in circumcisions
Well I got a suggestion(extra suggestion) . if you posted 2lines or more , your post will enlarge from small tiny post to a medium post (0.5 inches more). That might solve the issue of people who love to see their pesonalized posters right?
I know we got this already in the forums?