Ranking
Danke schön, Count.

Sie sagen dass mein Deutsch ist sehr gut. Aber ich kannst konversieren über komplexe Angelegenheiten

( Ich benutze die Website LingQ und Pimsleur für meine deutsche Studium )

Mein Grammatik ist sehr schlecht, ist es?

One more thing, how do you use the word, "äußerste"?
*Sie sagen, dass mein Deutsch sehr gut sei (it's "Konjunktiv", but don't worry. Over 60% of german ppl dont know how to use it either )
**Aber ich kann
***better use "oder?" instead of "ist es?". Just sounds better ^^

you use "äußerst" as an adverb, like "extremely". For example: "äußerst hübsch"
Originally Posted by count3rl33 View Post
*Sie sagen, dass mein Deutsch sehr gut sei (it's "Konjunktiv", but don't worry. Over 60% of german ppl dont know how to use it either )
**Aber ich kann
***better use "oder?" instead of "ist es?". Just sounds better ^^

you use "äußerst" as an adverb, like "extremely". For example: "äußerst hübsch"

Oh yeah, "kannst" is informal is informal for können, right? I thought for a while that it meant "can not"
"kannst" is 2nd pers singular of "können", since you're talking about yourself you need the 1st pers. singluar, pretty obvious ^^.
Unfortunately there isn't such a short term like the english "can" / "can't"
exactly.

Another example would be: "Ich kann schwimmen, aber (ich kann) nicht tauchen"
The second "ich kann" is optional since you already used the word before. Meaning: you can use it there since it would be correct, but you do not have to in every way, as you might also leave it out for language-lazyness-reasons ^^

btw the translation would be "I know how to swim, but not how to dive"
Hey, I was wondering, when do you pronounce "ch" as "sh" or "k"?

PS, can you help by PMing me? Let's try speaking in German
Last edited by JorreI14; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
oh, das ist gar nicht so einfach, da es sehr stark von der Region abhängt in der gesprochen wird. So sprechen einige zum Beispiel das Wort "Chemie" als "Kemie" und andere als "Schemie" aus.
Allgemein kann man aber sagen, dass man nach einem dunklen Vokal (a, o, u, au) ein "ch" spricht (zum Beispiel: auch, Loch, nach, Buch etc.). "ch" wird außerdem bei Verniedlichungen gesprochen, zum Beispiel: Autochen, Fläschchen, Stickerchen etc.
Aber das ist ein ziemlich intuitives Verständnis, welches schwer zu erlernen ist ^^

Hope you could get all of it, if not imma translate it for you. But nevertheless you should try to understand it though ;)
All I understand is:

Oh, that is not so easy, because it is very dependent on the region it is spoken in. So________________________________________________ _______________

But all that is learned pretty intuitively, which is difficult to learn.

Can you translate the rest? D:
okay, I'm gonna translate it:

Oh, that's rather difficult since it depends very much on the region it is spoken in. For example some would pronounce the word "Chemie" as "Kemie" while others would pronounce it as "Schemie" (hard and soft vocal).
But overall one could say, that after a dark vocal (a, o, u, au) it's pronounced as "ch" (not as "k") as in "Loch", "nach", "Buch" etc. Furthermore you use "ch" (not "k") as a form of minimization, for example: "Autochen" (small car), "Fläschen" (small bottle), "Stickerchen" (small sticker) etc.
But that's all a pretty intuitive thing to learn which makes it pretty difficult ^^