Toribash
Original Post
New Competitive Esport Rank System
This ranking system that I present hopes to bring Toribash to a new level of competitiveness, it aims to reward skilled players for fighting other skilled players. The current ranking system does not reward skilled players, instead it rewards those who farm worse players than themselves.

How does it work?
It works using the current elo system but instead it forces players to fight those stronger than them. Therefore only the best will be able to get to the highest rank.

For now the current ranking system can stay and this additional "Esports" rank can also be in place at the same time. This will allow the new ranking system to be beta tested over a period of time and if successful then the old rank system could be removed.

Separate "Esport" ranked lobby's should be programmed to auto change the mod after a period of time (24 or 48 hours). This is because the most skilled players can play in a variety of mods.

The mods for the lobby's should be decided on community input.
Here is a suggestion of mods that could be scripted to auto change:

Mon: Lenshu3ng.tbm
Tue: ErthTKv2.tbm
Wed: AikidoBigDojo.tbm
Thur: Boxshu.tbm
Fri: Greykido.tbm
Sat: Rk-MMA.tbm
Sun: Boxshu_Mushu_V2

Multiple servers should be set up and restricted based on the new "Esport" rank. In addition Tiers 4 - 5 would also have a 1,000 QI restriction. Tier 6 would have a 2,000 QI restriction and Tier 7 would have a 3,000 QI restriction. This would be to prevent alts and act as a motivation to play the game and gain enough QI for the lobbys.

Lobby tier 1: Rank 50,000 +
Lobby tier 2: Rank 35,000 - 50,000
Lobby tier 3: Rank 35,000 - 15,000
Lobby tier 4: Rank 15,000 - 5,000
Lobby tier 5: Rank 5,000 - 1,000
Lobby tier 6: Rank 1000 - 250
Lobby tier 7: Rank 250 - 1.

The new rank could be displayed in a way like :

The way this rank system is set up should not require to much effort to implement as it uses a lot of the settings that are already in the game.

Long Term Aim

If this ranking system was successful then it has a lot of potential for the future. The old ranking system could be totally removed if people think that is best.

For the long term, "Esport" ranks should be reset every month (Seasons*) therefore it is a battle each month to gain the #1 spot and this keeps it highly competitive. A reward system could be added for players who achieve certain ranks as well as achievements. Some of my ideas are that top 16 players would receive a special non-trade-able 3D item that would be different depending on what "Season" they won. TC or forces / laxes could be rewarded for getting to certain Tiers. E.g. Vampire force for getting to Tier 3.

Data could be collected and Nabi Studios could use information such as the top 16 players in each season to plan world championship spots.

Potentially players could click on other players names to find out information about there best previous season rankings or even a leader board could be added to the menu where players can view statistics about who is the best from what season etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please feel free to give feed back on this system, and point out any flaws and improvements that could be added.
Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post
Not only that but I have never seen anywhere a position advertised as a coder etc / is it possible to make a code for this with the knowledge a normal user has access to?

Most the people who've done work on TB were either normal users or staff that know how to code etc.

We all know the current system sucks, but the lack of man power kinda kills any chance of changing it unless someone steps up to do it.

Until then you could work out the maths & all that junk for it, when the chance comes it's more likely that a system that's been fully detailed will be used because faster to do etc.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
May I ask what type of coding toribash uses?

I totally support this idea btw, if I could code, I'd do it.
Why don't we post an announcement and see how many knows c++(?), and are willing to collaborate on something. I've seen people collaborate on scripts and stuff so there must be a few people who's interested.
As fistoflife said, there's nothing that says "coders wanted" on the front page, and it's possible people don't want to be a part of nabi because of time issues and stuff.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by sir View Post
There are no forum coders now that can code "big stuff" afaik as Fish stopped coding several months ago and hampa is pretty busy to do everything himself.
Moreover, changes to ranking system were suggested since the moment it was implemented, so everyone who is "in charge" is aware of all the problems current system possess. Unless there is a worthy forum coder who isn't lazy to fix the system nothing will change, so if you are not one of such people, posting these suggestions is completely pointless.

This is true. Hampa is a coder indeed, but hampa had said it himself he doesn't code the "big stuff." This suggestion for the ranking system is better because alt accounts don't deserve to have big rankings and farming is another 1 which is pretty terrible.

Sir, if that worthy forum coder can be found, then we could be having a little fun with a coder that isn't lazy, but does the job.
The Smoke Will Never Clear
#LLPS 💙💫
Maybe an announcement could be made for recruiting coders or something like that? We could all benefit from it, maybe even make it a staff position, there has to be a couple of people out there that know how to code.
Creati0n is the WORST Smite player EVER
Instead of changing the whole ranking system. Make it quick and easy.

6 days a week you can try to increase your "esport" rank. The 7th day there is a automatic tourney which gives the winner x amount of rank points

1. The only way to increase rank is to beat a higher or same rank player
2. There is no losing rank points
3. After each month, it resets but all the information stays
4. Whoever has the most points at the end of that month is the best for that month.
5. Basically whoever wins the most tournies.

Cant be that hard to code right? This is just combining many toribash odeas into one like automatic tournies and instead of giving tc, they give rank points
Don't Be Racist
I read what was suggested here a bit, my thoughts on this:

Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post
This ranking system that I present hopes to bring Toribash to a new level of competitiveness, it aims to reward skilled players for fighting other skilled players. The current ranking system does not reward skilled players, instead it rewards those who farm worse players than themselves.

I don't really see how the system you proposed change that. Those who farm wins would still get most points, because that's how ELO system works. If all that's wanted is to restrict master belts from fighting white belts, it is easier to keep all official rooms on one server with ranking system on and all private rooms on two others we have with it disabled.

Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
Maybe an announcement could be made for recruiting coders or something like that? We could all benefit from it, maybe even make it a staff position, there has to be a couple of people out there that know how to code.

Check nabistudios.com, it says that we're always hiring. People who do know how to code usually just let hampa know that and are later given some side work if they don't have enough time to work full time.

Originally Posted by Eddylee View Post
1. The only way to increase rank is to beat a higher or same rank player

Nah, won't work. What if you have rank 10 and there's nobody around with ranks 1 - 9?

Originally Posted by Eddylee View Post
2. There is no losing rank points

Once again, can lead to people starting to use bots again as they will some time anyway to get rank points. Especially if mixed with the "prizes for best ranked players" part suggested by FistofLife.

If everything that's wanted is to remove ranking from private servers and make it only work in official rooms (those static colored ones + tournaments), it should be doable. I'm not sure about belt restrictions here because I don't agree with the way it was suggested to implement in the OP, though they're certainly needed. What if there is a 2nd dan who won more games than a custom belt who fought almost the same people? Of course we can add Ultimate rooms back and even invent something new for 6th dans+ or something, but qi doesn't define players' skills and lots of people don't change the way they play after first 1k or 2k games.
Belt doesn't determine skill at all. Most Master or custom belts have bought Qi at one point. What I was saying was to make ranks or tiers. If you are in the highest tier, finding someone in your tier may be difficult, but you would be respected just for being up there. That means you have beat most skilled players in Tb, you wouldn't be able to get up there by farming wins, due to when you loose, you also loose a good amount of points. I don't believe belt restrictions should apply, but there are always people that might create alts just to lower the newer players` rank, a Qi restriction to when you would be able to participate in this system may be incorporated. Now in this kind of system, looking points is a must, because it would determine if you are capable of moving up to the next tier, which means you have won most times against players around your same skill level. I have seen this system in action in other games, and it does work, it can definitely give you a rough idea of who you are fighting.
Creati0n is the WORST Smite player EVER
A temporary solution would be to disable elo rankings on private servers, make it official only. It doesn't fix all the problems, but might lower amount of farmers a bit, and also would eliminate elo greed from friendly games - you'd be able to fool around on fun mods without worrying about losing tons of elo.
We would need to set up more offial servers and change their mods on a regular basis, as I'm sure that some of the users would be mad that they can't gain elo in mod X anymore 'and I am number 1 there!'.
Well, GM team is getting more members so I guess we could manage the servers after schooling some newer team members about what does what and how.
retired

I don't really see how the system you proposed change that. Those who farm wins would still get most points, because that's how ELO system works. If all that's wanted is to restrict master belts from fighting white belts, it is easier to keep all official rooms on one server with ranking system on and all private rooms on two others we have with it disabled.

I thought you were a smart guy Sir, is it really that hard to understand how you cannot noob farm using this?
In this system you are forced to play people of a similar or greater skill than you, an amazing player can't be playing a terrible one. If you look at the system it shows that in this bit

Lobby tier 1: Rank 50,000 +
Lobby tier 2: Rank 35,000 - 50,000
Lobby tier 3: Rank 35,000 - 15,000
Lobby tier 4: Rank 15,000 - 5,000
Lobby tier 5: Rank 5,000 - 1,000
Lobby tier 6: Rank 1000 - 250
Lobby tier 7: Rank 250 - 1.

Let me walk you threw the path of a skilled player and a noob farmer.

Noob farmer - Does fantastic at the start, easily gets there way up to a tier 5 lobby, they then start playing decent players and struggle, they might make it to a tier 6 lobby then they are really struggling since there is only high skilled players here and not noobs. They either get stuck in tier 6 or fall down again to tier 5.

A skilled player easily gets his way to tier 6, he is then facing other skilled players and depending on how good he is, he finds out his rank.

Do not even go on about bots sir, in any mod such as RK, TK, ABD a bot cannot be made to be skilled enough to beat any half decent player. The prizes were just a add on, and are very acceptable to change.

Nah, won't work. What if you have rank 10 and there's nobody around with ranks 1 - 9?

This point was also adressed, that is why lobbys have a larger skill variance in them. All level 1-250 would be grouped toghether. But as i said, there is no statistics which show just how many people would be in this category at the same time, and testing would have to be done to find out after the system is implemented. I did mention that all numbers and prizes etc would have to be tweaked.
Honestly I don't think you bothered reading threw the whole thing before posting.

Originally Posted by Powas View Post
A temporary solution would be to disable elo rankings on private servers, make it official only. It doesn't fix all the problems, but might lower amount of farmers a bit, and also would eliminate elo greed from friendly games - you'd be able to fool around on fun mods without worrying about losing tons of elo.
We would need to set up more offial servers and change their mods on a regular basis, as I'm sure that some of the users would be mad that they can't gain elo in mod X anymore 'and I am number 1 there!'.
Well, GM team is getting more members so I guess we could manage the servers after schooling some newer team members about what does what and how.

This shows how inactive you are, public lobbys are he heart of noob farming. They are filled with low skilled players and a couple high skilled. Look at public TK, about %90 of the lobby has terrible players in it and you will find a couple good players. Not only that but look at the top 10 mod ranked players, I was versus one and he was awfull.. just goes to show how much noob farming goes on in public lobbys.

Private servers are good as newbies can kick the higher skilled players when they are being repeatedly defeated.

The reason for QI restrictions being a MUST in these lobbys is because the majority of the best players are all from the dueling community (In my opinion) and if you have ever been there you will see that there is an insane amount of alts. I think if there wasn't any QI restricions the top tier lobbys would have many alts in them. A 2,000 QI restriction is hardly a large amount for a newish player to achieve, but it is enough to stop alts.
Last edited by FistofLife; Jan 7, 2015 at 02:46 PM.