Ranking
Original Post
All of My Hopes and Dreams for Toribash
This post is a compilation of everything I hope to see in future versions of Toribash. Instead of posting a million and one threads on every different thing, I have decided to take all of it and put it into a single thread. I know that some of these topics have been discussed before, but I am going to talk about them anyway for the sake of having it all together in one place. I have also numbered everything for your convenience, and feel free to use the numbers to easily respond to my ideas. So, without further delay, here it goes.

1. I think that mod makers should be able to add joints and objects that are actually considered part of a tori’s body. This would allow mod makers to customize the body more and also promote more non-human mods. Overall, it wouldn't affect things too much; some interesting mods could come out of it, possibly a tori with many more joints to make it super realistic. I am not saying that it would change the game in any way, just allow some people to have a little bit of fun. This one has been mentioned before, but I wanted to include it here as well.

2. This one is pretty big. I thought of two new joint states in addition to dismember and fracture. They are called disable and stun. I have never really liked the current fracture, so I came up with disable which is similar to it but I think would be a major improvement. Disable would be similar to fracture, and after a certain damage threshold was met, it would activate and stay for the rest of the match, unless something more severe was activated. Fracture has always annoyed me because after a joint is fractured, its range of motion becomes infinite. (i.e. Knees and elbows bending the wrong way and chests spinning around infinitely) This new state would cause the joint to become permanently relaxed, but would keep its original range of motion, fixing this problem. It would be a less severe version of fracture, so people like me who dislike fracture could use it instead. Stun would be even less severe than disable. When its threshold was met, the joint would become temporarily stunned and put in a relaxed state. As most players know (see my next suggestion if you don’t), joint health regenerates over time, so when the joint regenerates enough that the damage counter is less than the threshold, the joint goes out of relax mode and becomes usable again. These two new joint states would just become options in the mod menu and would not change any existing mods. Stun in particular would create a new aspect to fighting, allowing a player to temporarily stun an opponent’s joint, then us it to their advantage before it comes back into use. Also, currently when a joint is fractured or dismembered, it just says relaxed when you hover over it. A nice change would be if you hovered over the joint with your mouse it would actually say the name of the effect it has on it like “Dismembered”, “Fractured”, “Disabled”, or “Stunned”.

3. This brings me to my next idea, which is to have an option to set how fast joint health regenerates. For anyone who doesn’t know, all joints have a damage counter which at the beginning of a match is at 0. As a joint is hit, it adds to that counter. When the counter reaches a designated amount (the fracture/dismember threshold) the joint becomes affected by that state. After it becomes affected by that state, the damage counter is locked at that amount (with the exception of my new idea stun, which the whole point of it is for the effect to not be permanent).However, that counter does lower over time (if it affected by a state it will not lower below that state’s threshold i.e. your shoulder is fractured with a fracture threshold of 100, that joint’s damage counter will not lower below 100 now), and the exact rate that it regenerates is not known. I think that it should become an option in the mod menu and it should be a known fact what the standard rate is. This would increase the customizability of mods even more. Once again, it would not mess with any existing mods, but the standard rate of regeneration would now be visible. I suspect it is 1 point per frame, but there is no way to be sure. If it is not already, the damage system should also be updated to include decimals up to the hundredths just so that the regeneration rate can be less than 1 point per frame (maybe half a point per frame) if people want it to. As a note, the point system would be unaffected by this because you would still require a whole point of damage to add points.

4. My next idea is a new way to end a match called Knock Out. When this is turned on in the mod menu, the head becomes a very important target. You can set a Knock Out threshold, and when the head takes enough damage, it is an instant win for the other player. Once again, it will not affect any current mods and will just be an option in the mod menu. It would add a new aspect to fighting, making going for a head-shot a viable strategy if a mod were created using Knock Out. In addition, there could be a head stun threshold that is similar to the stun threshold for joints. When it it reached, all joints go into relax mode, and are locked that way until the head regenerates enough health to be under the head stun threshold.

5. This one has also been discussed in another post, but I want to clarify any confusion on the topic and give my view on it; grip breaking. Grip breaking means that if your hand is in grab mode, it can accumulate damage and regenerate just like a joint. In the mod menu, you would be able to set a grip breaking threshold, and after the grabbing hand took enough damage, it would automatically be set to ungrab and its damage counter would be reset to 0, meaning that it could be set to grab immediately after and the opponent who broke your grab would only have a brief opportunity to take advantage of you letting go of them before you could grab again. This could allow skilled players to fight over grabs instead of getting a grab and that being the end of it. It would also reduce random wrist breaking if the grip breaking threshold was set lower than the stun/disable/fracture/dismember threshold.

Final Notes: I hope that you have enjoyed reading this long post about everything I hope to see in the future. Once again, and I cannot stress this enough, NONE of these things is meant to change any of the systems currently in place, it is meant to be an option for players and mod makers to use, and it would be slowly integrated into the next generation of toribashers. Leave your feedback below and I hope you all have a good day bashing some toris.
Last edited by ThatNnja; Apr 8, 2015 at 06:06 PM.
1. I really like this idea, I can imagine my self doing four armed parkour right now!
2. Don't you think that's a bit too much things that disable you?
3. Not a horrible idea but I don't really like it, but I do believe that there is already joint regen but its broken atm.
4. I honestly don't want there to be knockout, it would be good for boxing but I would not like this in the game.
5. With Disable, Stun, Fracture, KO, and grip thresholds it would be hard to make it so that nothings to low of a threshold e.g. Fracture must be lower than dismemberment because dm is worse, ko will have to be in between fracture and dm then stun and disable will go somewhere under im guessing and the grip break will have to be something around 50
Your forgetting that I don't intend all four of them to be used in one mod. I'm not a fan of dismember and the current fracture, so I created these two new ones. Also KO would be optional and have a high threshold.

I also had another idea called partial KO which is like stun but when it happens to the head the entire body gets briefly paralyzed. KO is like disable for your head.
-----
My dream mod would have stun at 150, disable at 200, Partial KO at 200 and KO at 250. Grip break would be at 100
And once again, it would only be optional and even if all of this got fully accepted into the community, there would still be plenty of mods without it.
Last edited by ThatNnja; Apr 9, 2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by ThatNnja View Post
3. This brings me to my next idea, which is to have an option to set how fast joint health regenerates. For anyone who doesn’t know, all joints have a damage counter which at the beginning of a match is at 0. As a joint is hit, it adds to that counter. When the counter reaches a designated amount (the fracture/dismember threshold) the joint becomes affected by that state. After it becomes affected by that state, the damage counter is locked at that amount (with the exception of my new idea stun, which the whole point of it is for the effect to not be permanent).However, that counter does lower over time (if it affected by a state it will not lower below that state’s threshold i.e. your shoulder is fractured with a fracture threshold of 100, that joint’s damage counter will not lower below 100 now), and the exact rate that it regenerates is not known. I think that it should become an option in the mod menu and it should be a known fact what the standard rate is. This would increase the customizability of mods even more. Once again, it would not mess with any existing mods, but the standard rate of regeneration would now be visible. I suspect it is 1 point per frame, but there is no way to be sure. If it is not already, the damage system should also be updated to include decimals up to the hundredths just so that the regeneration rate can be less than 1 point per frame (maybe half a point per frame) if people want it to. As a note, the point system would be unaffected by this because you would still require a whole point of damage to add points.

good ideas over all but i explained this in the beginners sanctuary that is not how it works... there is no hp regen and you have to do <insert damage here> all at the same time (like literally all damage in 1 or 2 frames) to induce a frac or dm.
"I don't need a safety word because my mother didn't raise no quitter." ~BaraYaoi - BDSM Expert