Toribash
i'm having a problem,every time i hit uke,he falls backwards so fast that i can't grab him again :/
thanks for tips... this is something i came up with the 4th time around
Attached Files
mad man final.rpl (227.6 KB, 22 views)
killacody: I'm sorry but that's not really a madman by any definition. Only 5 dismemberments, legs are still together, etc.
Whoop Whoop
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I've just started messing around with the whole idea of sitting down and trying to really make something impressive looking, but so far, your tutorial really echoes a lot of what I had to figure out myself .

There are a couple things that should be mentioned, though, just for the sake of completeness...

- You can hit shift-p to advance the game a single frame. Back in the pre-free days of Toribash, I always wondered how some of those replays looked so smooth, and it's because you're not limited to making moves every ten frames.

- You can fix your mistakes! If you accidentally put a bit too much stress on your character and happen to rip yourself in half instead of Uke, you can actually edit your replay so you don't have to go back and re-create all the stuff leading up to it. To start, either finish the match out and start the after-match replay or just hit R to automatically play a replay of the current match. Once you get to the point where you want to fix things, pause the replay with P (again, you can move the replay one frame at a time with shift-P). Then, once you're at the frame that you want to change, hit E. This will allow you to "step in" at that exact frame and start playing the match from that point on.

Now, I'm assuming that editing replays isn't "looked down upon" by the more long-term madman creators. I had always figured that that's what people were doing, or maybe it's just that I wanted to preserve some of my own self-esteem by convincing myself that people just weren't doing some of that insane stuff on the first try.

And just because I've got nowhere else to put them, I'll put up a few of the things I've come up with (especially if five dismemberments is the minimum needed ):

FirstMadman: As the title says, my first end-result. Took about five or six edits to get everything right, as I kept losing the odd hand or arm here and there. There's a bit of a lull in the dismemberments in the middle, and I'm sure I could have torn apart the torso near the end, but when I get to the point where all that's left is tearing apart the pieces into even smaller pieces, I find I tend to lose patience with getting everything just right.

SecondMadman: I don't quite like this one as much as the first one, as it's not nearly as chaotic, and I know it's possible that I could have done more damage. However, for some reason I love the opening move.

SystematicDismemberment: I love how this one turned out. I was just messing around, and noticed that I managed to cut Uke pretty cleanly in half, the sever an arm at the pec. At that point, I wanted to see if I could actually do something intentionally instead of just screwing around and hoping for the best. So, I set out to sever the other arm at the same point and then take apart everything that was left within my reach...

KickyMadmanFinal: Everything except for the very last dismemberment is done entirely with the legs/feet.

SDPartsEverywhere: Probably my favorite SP replay (of the ones I've done). There's quite a bit of carnage (Uke ends up in ten different pieces), but the neat thing is that I managed to do it in basically three individual "moves".

If you dont mind, ive edited your SDPartsEverywhere replay, just the end of it, i grabbed the glutes and chucked them in the air, the altimeter gets to 63 (dunno what the unit of measurment is) before the replay stops, see what ya think!

also attaching some faint attempts at madman's ive had xD

PsYcHo_Mad_Decap isnt really a madman, i could be if i edited it xD
Attached Files
SAPartseverywhereEDIT.rpl (134.6 KB, 14 views)
Psycho_Death_kick.rpl (79.8 KB, 10 views)
PsYcHo_is_mad.rpl (88.7 KB, 13 views)
PsYcHo_high_glutes.rpl (66.4 KB, 10 views)
PsYcHo_Mad_Decap.rpl (110.0 KB, 10 views)
Last edited by PsYcHo96; Aug 4, 2009 at 08:46 PM.
Originally Posted by PsYcHo96 View Post
If you dont mind, ive edited your SDPartsEverywhere replay, just the end of it, i grabbed the glutes and chucked them in the air, the altimeter gets to 63 (dunno what the unit of measurment is) before the replay stops, see what ya think!

also attaching some faint attempts at madman's ive had xD

PsYcHo_Mad_Decap isnt really a madman, i could be if i edited it xD

You're a little stiff in the replays. Try relaxing the majority of the joints that aren't being used if you can. At the moment it sort of looks good, you just need some more practice..

EDIT: And wow, I can't believe this thread is still kind of popular..
Are these decent madmen? 11 to 13 are my first three limps...

#2 is an example of how mine were a week ago, meaning it sux.
Last edited by GuardianDuo; Oct 25, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
A madman is mostly relaxed, not stiff, if your stiff, it makes it look worse.

Originally Posted by GuardianDuo View Post
Are these decent madmen? 11 to 13 are my first three limps...

#2 is an example of how mine were a week ago.

ehh I liked them all except the 2nd replay

I don't know if this is considered a madman, it might look like one if you type "/opt hud 0" and push Esc twice

EDIT: oops wrong replay
Last edited by ginkchun; Aug 10, 2009 at 02:51 PM.